ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Suspension dropped

Black Gold 182 Cupped up
Hi Chaps,
One corner of my suspension has dropped. Any ideas? What made me notice it was that I hit a kerb when I got blinded by the sun and now hen I look, it doesnt sit flat. Please help.

Lionel Richie
christ what you done to it!!!

never heard of that much before!!

i guess you must've snapped a spring or something

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well to be fair fred the only reason for it dropping is spring failure.

Black Gold 182 Cupped up
No it all looks fine from underneath, thats whats what is puzzling, its jnust sitting wonky. I've jus been out and turned it around to see if the ground was slopeing, but its not.

clio 200 F4Rt
yup, as said, the spring is what gives the rear its 'height'.

Get it jacked up, take a look, and try take some pics jacked up and on the ground!

my front spring had popped out, noticed it felt strange when i went over the bumps.
lucky its the rear much easier to fix. you will need some spring compressors to fix it mine cost £18 from a1 moterway belts.
prob cos quite abit to get it fixed at a garage, but very easy to do yaself, im a girl and i managed.

Black Gold 182 Cupped up
So, if the springs need to be replaced - what do you suggest? I currently have thecup stuff, but as you are aware it could do with lowering.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
my front spring had popped out, noticed it felt strange when i went over the bumps.
lucky its the rear much easier to fix. you will need some spring compressors to fix it mine cost £18 from a1 moterway belts.
prob cos quite abit to get it fixed at a garage, but very easy to do yaself, im a girl and i managed.

You dont need them for the rear.

But for the front, yes you are correct. But Beware of springs they can kill.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So, if the springs need to be replaced - what do you suggest? I currently have thecup stuff, but as you are aware it could do with lowering.

Eibach sportline is a popular choice, but you need to do fronts.

Try to avoid Apex/PI/Cheaper rubbish.

Eibach/KW or similar would be advisable.

if they pop out of the spring compressors thay can cause lots of damage,
got to make sure they are on oppisite sides and straight too.

can you just lower the rears out from the bottom?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well springs are coiled high tensile steel! On the rear when jacked up they arent under much load, but the fronts sometimes are. If you try to use cheap compressors when removing the springs they can fail and slip causing the spring to fly off.

A spring to the head is not nice.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well i suppose there is a difference between being safe and being sorry.