ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 teething problems

ClioSport 182

Not sure if this is really a problem or just a "running-in" thing. Picked up my 182 last week and have noticed that in the last 3 days it will not start first time in the morning.

Its in the garage over night, ambient temp over here (in Madrid) is around 16 - 18 degrees in the garage, so its not really a "cold" start. Radio, headlights, climate control are all off. I wait for the spark plug pre-heater light to go out and on the first try it trys to start but doesnt (BTW: I dont use the accelerator in any way). On the very next try no problems.

This only happens in the morning. After work (car spends the whole day in the work garage) it starts first time.

Any ideas? Should I be worried or just hope that itll go away with the running-in period (350 km to go ...).

KnightAzul

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by KnightAzul on 02 June 2004

I wait for the spark plug pre-heater light to go out...
Err... there is no spark plug pre-heater, so which light are you referring to?!

This is a pretty common problem with the 172. Nothing much to worry about and Renault dont seem to do a very good job explaining or fixing it. Try turning the key till all the dash lights come on but before it tries to start. Give it a few seconds then start it. Should go first go that way.

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 02 June 2004

I wait for the spark plug pre-heater light to go out...
Err... there is no spark plug pre-heater, so which light are you referring to?!
Maybe I got the name wrong (the manual is in Spanish!). There is a light which comes on for a few seconds which I understood was doing some pre-heating of something before starting the engine. The light is in the centre and is like a graph with peaks and troughs (not sure if Im describing this very well ...).

KnightAzul

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Maybe I got the name wrong (the manual is in Spanish!). There is a light which comes on for a few seconds which I understood was doing some pre-heating of something before starting the engine. The light is in the centre and is like a graph with peaks and troughs (not sure if Im describing this very well ...).
Its only diesel engines that need to pre-heat (the glow plugs) so not sure what this light is?!

E90

Mine does it all the time, turn off the ignition straight away and it fires straight up, not bothered the dealer with the problem, Ive just accepted it as "its french" :)

ClioSport 182

Its only diesel engines that need to pre-heat (the glow plugs) so not sure what this light is?!
Ill check at lunch time about this light ...

Is there any way to turn off the annoying reminder that I have not put the seat belt on? especially when doing some tricking parking (w/o the seat belt)and the last thing you need is a siren going off to break the concentration!

KnightAzul

Cant really get around the seat belt thingy.

It does stop after 90 seconds..by which time you would have finished parking anyway!

ClioSport 182

Ok, on the instrument panel I have 3 x 4 (columns, rows) lights. The one I am refering to is the one immediately below the petrol pump light. The manual (general for all models) says, translated into English: Pre-heating light which must light up with with the ignition on (car not started) and indicates that the plugs are heating up, it goes out when they have been preheated and then you can start the car. If this is only for diesel why do I have it??!

As an aside, I have noticed that the 182 makes a lot of "noise" then the engine is switched off. The noise sounds like metal contracting with occasional metallic clicks ... I guess it is the exhaust cooling down ...

KnightAzul

My 182 also doesnt usually start first thing in the morning. Again its kept in the garage and a second attempt gets it going no probs. I have noticed that if you keep the key turned, it will eventually start after about 6-10 seconds but its very lumpy for a second or two afterwards. Not too fussed to be honest, one of those things you put up with... If it refuses to start completely or gets any worse (like 3,4+ attempts), ill get the dealer to look at it - at the mo its not worth the effort. Theyll only end up buggering something else up...

Balders.

Whatever it is that cant be right surely as a load of 182s here dont do it.

keep taking it back to Renault until the monkeys sort it out

ClioSport 182

The odd thing is that in the first 3 days of ownership it started first time every time. If it doesnt go away after the running-in, or gets considerably worse, Ill be heading off to the dealer.

Any help on the "Pre-heating light"?? I sort of mixed this topic in half way through the thread ...

KnightAzul

Just had another thought - when I start the car up in the garage (like you), its dark so the stoopid auto lights come on. Could it be this that is causing it fail on first start up?

Im gonna try turning the auto thing off tomorrow morning before attempting a start and see if that makes any difference. When parked at work, its out in the daylight so the lights dont switch on automatically... Maybe they drain too much power on first start perhaps? :confused:

dk

911 GTS Cab

when i tried to turn mine on in one single movement of the key it didnt sound like it was liking starting first time so now I always turn the ignition on so that all the lights are on and then I hear a slight werring noise and I flick her over and she starts every time, just like i am letting it do its checks before turning it cmpletely over, only for around 1-2 secs but means i never have a false first start?

btw i always start without throttle and I love the xenon light idea, even if it isnt the case it sounds bloody good to me!

[Edited by dave182 on 02 June 2004 at 10:43pm]

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 02 June 2004

Try starting it without any throttle.
As stated in the original post, I dont start with the throttle!

I also like the idea of the Xenon lights, however both garages (nighttime and daytime) are below ground (maybe one has slightly more light than the other?!). How do you turn on/off this feature of the auto lights?

KnightAzul

turn the ignition on without starting the engine and turn the lights on and off twice.

There will be a beep to confirm this and that should do it.

Turning them on is just the same thing again

Well Ive tried starting the car with the auto light feature off over the last few days and guess what!? Starts first time, every time... :D Wierd!

Balders

Ford Fiesta

so, the new clios actually bleep at you aswell as the dash warning red sign if you do not put your belt (just drivers) on?? lol

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid on 02 June 2004

This is a pretty common problem with the 172. Nothing much to worry about and Renault dont seem to do a very good job explaining or fixing it. Try turning the key till all the dash lights come on but before it tries to start. Give it a few seconds then start it. Should go first go that way.
I have a 172 and it has always started perfectly first time.

I think the original message concerned a 182

ClioSport 182

Yep, the original message was for my 182. Interestingly enough, now that the run-in period is finally over and I have ragged it for a few days, the problem has gone away! Starts first time now in the mornings.

The cause wasnt the auto headlights as this feature has never been activated on my 182. Ill put this one down to running-in ...

KnightAzul

Never had any problems starting my 182 but after the running in period it developed a problem when cold. its lumpy and doesnt run properly for the first mile or so then jumps into life all of a sudden. dealer has no idea how to fix it.

dk

911 GTS Cab

mine failed to start first time this morning, I will put it down to the hot weather though

Impreza RB5 #054

are these cars really worth all the little niggles they come with?only ask because iam test driving one 2morro with the misses in the hope of ordering one.either the clio or the civic,im thinking the clio at the mo for the price and spec.

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by 182 Clio on 08 June 2004

SO WHAT WAS THIS LIGHT THEN ???????:confused:
No idea! This question (about a 182) got lost in the thread ...

"Ok, on the instrument panel I have 3 x 4 (columns, rows) lights. The one I am refering to is the one immediately below the petrol pump light. The manual (general for all models) says, translated into English: Pre-heating light which must light up with with the ignition on (car not started) and indicates that the plugs are heating up, it goes out when they have been preheated and then you can start the car. If this is only for diesel why do I have it??!"

Anyone can help?!

BTW: The 182 is definitely worth the little niggles ... just floor it past 5,000 rpms and youll forget and grips you may have ...

KnightAzul

Ford Fiesta

surely someone can help, go out to their car, look at the light in question refer to manual and there you go...?

dk

911 GTS Cab

the light comes on in mine when I start, what else do you want to hear though?

WHen starting I turn the key and wait 1 sec for all the lights to come on and then turn the ignition on, seemed to work fine until this morning when for the first time it didnt start, did start second time though so will put mit down to the hot weather.

It is not mentioned in my manual. It probably is the glow plug light on diesel models and means nothing on a 182 perhaps?

Quote: Originally posted by iceblue182 on 08 June 2004
Never had any problems starting my 182 but after the running in period it developed a problem when cold. its lumpy and doesnt run properly for the first mile or so then jumps into life all of a sudden. dealer has no idea how to fix it.

i think this is something to do with the CAT converter not working below a certain engine temp!!!, not a fault!! then hey presto it turns itself on and youre away!!!!!