ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 throttle stuck open after changing spark plugs

clio 182 ff
just replaced the plugs in my clio 182 2004 , used ngk pfr6e-10
now when i start the engine the throttle is stuck open
any help would be greatly appreciated

Ph2 172
if you removed the inlet manifold to change the plugs, its worth removing the manifold again and checking the seal on the underside is sealing ok, this could cause it to run as if its full throttle

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As above.

If there is an air leak, it will idle at about 4500rpm.

clio 182 ff
thanks for the advice mate, just lifted manifold & can see a recess on the underside of the manifold which looks like a seal should seat in, didnt spot this on removal so am guessing a seals dropped behind the engine

clio 182 ff
hunted everywhere for the 'o' ring seal between manifold & head but think its grown legs & run off, i know its not ideal but is it ok to use instant gasket sealer e.g the tube that halfords sell in order to get car back on road till i can get a new seal from renault ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Yeah should be fine. But only as a temp measure. Get the proper seal on there asap.

clio 182 ff
daniel - i'll order one monday from renault , thanks for your advice
tom - didnt disconnect electrical connector to throttle as was very tight connection & didnt wanna risk breaking it, rechecked it since & seems to be connected ok

when starting engine the butterfly valve (if thats what its called, round plate inside throttle) doesnt open , but engine rev's hard to about 4500 - 5000 rpm , am guessing if it was a problem with the throttle then it would be in open position with ignition on or engine running ?

Ph2 172
am guessing if it was a problem with the throttle then it would be in open position with ignition on or engine running ?

thats exactaly right, with the seal under the manifold missing its causing an air leak giving the same affect as a partialy open throttle body

Ph2 172
just to be on the safe side 'if' you plan to seal it as a temp fix just be sure to use a sealent that wont melt otherwise you could be back to square one

clio 182 ff
refitted inlet this morning using loctite gasket sealer in place of 'o' ring , left to cure for several hours, started engine this evening & doesnt rev its tits off now but idle is all over the place, between 1200rpm & 2500rpm & doesnt settle. gonna order a new 'o' ring from renault & hope this cures it for good

HBT 172 Cup
Loctite sealant has no chance at sealing that particular area. I had to changed my HT leads after a track day once miles from home this seal mysteriously dissapeared when i removed the inlet. tried padding the area with MANY layers of electrical tape, it didnt work lol. Luckily a mate not to nearby had an RS and said i could have his.

The seal from renault is ~£6

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be cringing if my engine shot up to that RPM straight from cold!

I noticed that seal too when I changed my plugs. Seems a bit flimsy/delicate, imo.

D.

clio 182 ff
fitted new rubber seal under inlet & put a new metal gasket between upper & lower inlets as was only about £5 so thought id do it anyway, fired it up & back to normal :) if anything the idle seems more stready now .....result !!!!! :)