ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Top mount failing questions

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,

New to 182/Clio ownership and all was well until the weekend!

Jacked car up to jetwash underneath to get a good idea on what would be needed for up and coming MOT. All looked ok bar a few parts (new posts to follow), lowered car back down and drove home, car began to knock while pulling away and braking from front right - could feel through the steering also. Figured it must be an engine mount until I looked at the top of the struts (see image below), I can only assume that this is NOT normal, what has failed to let this happen?

Any advice would be great - about to purchase a pair of new Renault top mounts, is there anything else I should get? Also considering new dampers (think mine has the cup pack) and a spring kit.

Cheers and hello!
Rob,

Drivers side:
7ZsNwfA.jpg

l3zo15Q.jpg

Passenger side (looks much better but still not totally what I would expect):
PCmvzEa.jpg

PH2 172
Hi Guys,

New to 182/Clio ownership and all was well until the weekend!

Jacked car up to jetwash underneath to get a good idea on what would be needed for up and coming MOT. All looked ok bar a few parts (new posts to follow), lowered car back down and drove home, car began to knock while pulling away and braking from front right - could feel through the steering also. Figured it must be an engine mount until I looked at the top of the struts (see image below), I can only assume that this is NOT normal, what has failed to let this happen?

Any advice would be great - about to purchase a pair of new Renault top mounts, is there anything else I should get? Also considering new dampers (think mine has the cup pack) and a spring kit.

Cheers and hello!
Rob,

Drivers side:
7ZsNwfA.jpg

l3zo15Q.jpg

Passenger side (looks much better but still not totally what I would expect):
PCmvzEa.jpg

Looks normal.
Drive forward 10 yards with the steering straight and they sit square.
There should be a gap between the turret and top cap.

If you do replace them, get the Febi ones, not the modified Renault items, to avoid this palava.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/172-new-top-mount-modified-spacer-issues.641094/

MODIFIED TOP CAP LH.jpg
MODIFIED TOP CAP RH.jpg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just reading through the post link you sent now, thanks very much.

I am amazed that this is normal!

This is very bad news for me too as the clunk is really bad. Wondering what the hell it is now - thought I had it cracked.

Pulling away, clunk, braking, clunk. Pot holes and bumps no clunk....

PH2 172
Just reading through the post link you sent now, thanks very much.

I am amazed that this is normal!

This is very bad news for me too as the clunk is really bad. Wondering what the hell it is now - thought I had it cracked.

Pulling away, clunk, braking, clunk. Pot holes and bumps no clunk....
PS - what is actually stopping the top of the strut from moving about if the top mount/cup (pictured) is aloud to move about so freely?

The bearing is located in the rubber seat under the turret.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Febi-Bilst...5&clk_rvr_id=1553779620232&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Clunk when braking or pulling away could be wishbone bushes, ARB bushes, bottom ball joints, a loose caliper, worn engine mounts.

Get an MOT station to take a look.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
The bearing is located in the rubber seat under the turret.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Febi-Bilst...5&clk_rvr_id=1553779620232&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Clunk when braking or pulling away could be wishbone bushes, ARB bushes, bottom ball joints, a loose caliper, worn engine mounts.

Get an MOT station to take a look.

Thanks for your help!

You don't happen to know if that kit comes with the bearing do you? Their description does not mention it.

Think I'll probably take a day off this week to strip down suspension, tbh its all probably tired enough to to warrant replacement.
Rob,

PH2 172
Thanks for your help!

You don't happen to know if that kit comes with the bearing do you? Their description does not mention it.

Think I'll probably take a day off this week to strip down suspension, tbh its all probably tired enough to to warrant replacement.
Rob,

There are 3 items in the kit, 2 are obviously not the bearing, the round object is.
Make sure to fit it the right way up!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, my ARB bushes don't look fantastic, I intend to replace these at the same time. Access looks a bit.... fun :)

Todays buy list includes lower arms, ARB bushes, Shocks, Top mounts - any other suggestions for front suspension refresh would be welcomed, I am very new to these cars so have no idea what the common problem areas or recommended replacements are.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Knock/clunk fixed. I am nearly too embarrassed to give the explanation but to assist other, future idiots like me I will confess.

I had not torqued up one front wheel, bolts were ratchet tight so not falling out but.....

It was a REALLY hot day, and i was convinced I had torqued everything - should really go with the RAF's motto of never installing a bolt unless you torque it.

Naturally I am confessing to you lot, who will probably never meet me in person in order to issue an appropriate level of pisstaking, however to my friends and family - the engine mount was loose.