ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 track car

Hi guys,
im looking to buy a clio 182 as a track car and to partially use as a tool for my degree (motorsport engineering)
Now im not new to the track car building scene me and brother have built a mk1 golf with a 2.0 16v abf engine running megasquirt and an eaton m45 charger, and the most recent project a 1.8t mk2 golf running at 285bhp.
however renault is by no means my strong point if im honest i dont have clue!

so i was wondering really, what sort of milage are there cars good from (im not looking at getting one higher than 60k) but i hear that the cambelts are a ball ache to do and that this is the time they will need replacing.

is there any "common faults" on the cars i should look out for or any prone weak spots on the cars?

would appreciate any advice or pointing in the right direction :D
thanks allot
Alex

DB.

BMW 440i
Cambelts are 5 years aswell. So should be relatively easy to get one that has had the belts changed!

172/1.2/E30
Don´t bother with the mileage. serviced high-milers are far better than neglected low-milers. full service history and a changed belt is what you want!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
History/condition is more important than mileage. FYI my '55 Trophy has 174k on it ...

Get a 172, or 182 (non-cup packed) for additional suspension options. The cup-packed 182's are a ballache in that regard.

Cambelt, etc needs correct locking tools to change.

Other than that, theyre pretty strong little buses imho. Most of the problems are trim related, & you'll be pulling most of that out anyway ;)

Stripped yozza'd cup
If it's a track only car. Buy a 172 cup. Easily the best option as it saves you removing a lot of the things that you'd want to remove for a track car!

They're also the choice of champions.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
True, but the cable throttle on the phase 1 edges it for me. Plus The aircon delete kit on the phase 1 is pretty straight forward :)

Thanks allot for the warm welcome and honest support lads, im already starting to prefer this forum to that of the dub ones seems far less elitist on here haha :D

when you say the 182 cup hasnt got as much suspension options is that because its a pain in the arse to change the suspensions?

from what you boys are saying a 172 will be the one, ive noticed there a bit cheaper aswell.
and to be far 172 - 182 bhp from what ive heard there isnt a massive difference in speed between the two on a track anyway.
haha like you all say the interior wont be in there anymore and eventually a roll cage will take its place.

It wont be for a while until i get one as im waiting for compensation money to come through from a big crash i had a couple of months ago when some old boy decided to take a nap at the steering wheel and hit me head on.... resulting in this
DSCF2510.jpg

and a right ankle tendon left heel right wrist etc etc !

Holy crap....good to hear you walked away.

182 cup, or a cup packed 182 are a bit more of a hassle because they have different spacing on the holes in the suspension, so some manufacturers havent bothered to make kits to fit it. It's not the end of the world, I have a cup packed 182, and I found good suspension no problem. But a mint 172 would be a better choice imo

Ph2 Clio 172
Ouch. Glad your ok.

But as said, if you are going to be lightening the car, stripping the interior and modding the suspension its best to start with the car with the least stuff in your way, so a 172 cup is spot on.

Cheap as chips now too.

haha very lucky to get out of it at all to be fair !
ahh i see, i think 172 will be the route ill go down, im not really looking to do anything to the engine at first anyway.

another hot topic..... what coilovers are "good" on these cars, bilstien kw weitec etc are all established makes but i wondered if anyone had any others that are good on clios.
has anyone got any information on roll cages aswell, ive been told to avoid omp... what are peoples views ?
thanks again fellas

Westy. MX5
172Cup or Phase 1 172, preferrably wthout a/c as you will be dumping that. The 2.0L major engine parts are usually trouble free, only real abuse will upset it. The bits around it are the ones normally needing attention. As you are obviously confident around engines you won't have much trouble changing and upgrading. Cam belt instructions can be downloaded from somewhere on this site but can't remember where (F4R Technical notes, I think) .
On this forum is Tony Hunter, a Clio racing man and he has given over a wealth of knowledge to the members, one point he did make that he only uses engines with 70k. miles on them so don't let mileage put you off.
Other helpfull people on this forum are Fred of BTM and Danny of 519Automotive who know Clios inside out.
Good luck with your degree.

Last edited:
thanks allot lads , really appreciate that leaste now ive got a few names too i can go to, i hope to get one over the summer period and get down to a track day this year time permitting, think donington park will be first one due to it being up the road haha

thanks again!

On the flipside, the setup that Jay/Tony use might be fine for them, but not fine for someone esle.

Suspension is all about preference remember.

That's very true, but I didn't mean he has to get the exact same set-up as them. Just that they've experienced quite a few different set-ups and would probably be able to give useful advice on a lot of things related to track use.

true, i did read AST are one of the best on the market but for 1.5k i'd expect that !
does anyone know who's this car is...
http://clio-motorsport.blogspot.com/
been a good read would be good to see a thread on here too
had a look at most of your lads cars aswell, been grabbing idea's from them had a good look at yours shadowness for the cage etc :D

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
true, i did read AST are one of the best on the market but for 1.5k i'd expect that !
does anyone know who's this car is...
http://clio-motorsport.blogspot.com/
been a good read would be good to see a thread on here too
had a look at most of your lads cars aswell, been grabbing idea's from them had a good look at yours shadowness for the cage etc :D

That's D4ve's 182.

I rate my H&R coilovers TBH.