ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Valve Stem seals - looking at changing - after advice

Trophy #267
Hi.

I have noticed for some time that the Trophy has been drinking oil and having recently done a reguar oil change and Oulton yesterday I appear to have consumed close to 1 litre of oil thrashing the arse off it. Dont see clouds of smoke but definitely burning it as not dropping at all and exhaust tips are black. Also, it only seems to do it at high revs as normal driving shows little / no oil usage.
Now reading up, likely cause is either piston rings or valve seals. Pistons can be tested via compression testing and better (read cheaper) was is valve stem seals.
Now, several posts on here say this it kinda possible for these to be done as a diy job.
I am happy stripping stuff and replacing gaskets and toqing bolts but am wary if the timing needs doing too?
Cam / Aux got done recently so are not needed and are cost effective to be done at same time due to legwork involved.

I would appreciate a quick guide of what is needed and if I can do it without needing timing tools and kits.

Any comments welcome.

Rob

53 Clio's & counting
You would need to remove the cambelt, as the rocker cover and cams need to come out mate.

Thing is, some can use oil - what oil do you use? How many miles did you do using this 1 ltr?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Not something I'd want to write a guide for really. A big job that you should approach with a good manual (renault genuine one ideally) and an ability to diagnose the fault once it's apart a,d react to findings.

you can't do it without timing tools as the head has to come off. You will also need a new cambelt.

Trophy #267
thanks for the replies ! No way I intend to do it if timing has to be done then.
I use Mobil 1 which a few have said seem to 'dissapear' more than average.
1 litre may be exaggeration but not by much. I must have done ~ 300 mile in the past 36 hours having driven the car hard for most of it and I have been aware that 'normal' road use uses very little but a few trackdays I have done have drunk it much quicker.
I will either leave it or look at cambelt + rest of kit again over winter.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
What grade of Mobil 1? I remember them only doing pretty thin or very thick, not the correct grade for the F4R. Also not a fan of mobil oils anyway

Trophy #267
hmm. 0w40 iirc as I read up about them being one of the cheapest 'proper' synthetic oils. I also wasnt aware you could be too thin either.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
well it's not terribly wrong, but being a 0w40 could explain your oil consumption as that is going to be very thin when cold. IMO Mobil 1 also has a disposition to being burned off anyway. Get some 5w40 and see how you get on

53 Clio's & counting
Agree with Danny, Mobile one seems to burn off very quicky - no idea why as I have not looked into Mobile one's data sheets, but it seems to.

As said, some fully synthetic 5w 40 should see it be a bit better IMO

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can replace the stem seals without removing the head... I've done a few petrol units now without taking the head off but as above, you really want to be sure they are the problem as it's not a five minute task.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can replace the stem seals without removing the head... I've done a few petrol units now without taking the head off but as above, you really want to be sure they are the problem as it's not a five minute task.

Although you can, its pointless seeing as no doubt his rings are worth swapping as well while he is at it, and on these engines its the belts that are the pain in the arse bit of the job and to do the stem seals you have to have the cams out of course.