ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs 182 cup

Im looking to buy a Clio 182 /Cup

Could you guys please tell me what are the differences between the Clio 182 and Clio 182 Cup?

Im interested in performance more than comfort, xenon, etc

Tnx

Arun

you will want the cup then, cup does come with the cup suspension and spoiler pack as std whereas you need to spec them on a 182. the cup does not have leather,rear headrests or split folding rear seat, climate a/c (it does have a/c but its manual) it doesnt have xenons or side airbags in the seats IIRC. but tbh for the price difference they weight reduction is negligable so you may as well get the 182 instead of the cup unless you really are too tight for cash.

Clio 182 (with cup packs)

Leather/Alacantra seats

Climate Control

Xenons

Better steering wheel/interior (there are probably a few more things, but cant recall right now)

With the addition on the cup packs on the standard 182. I PERSONALLY cant see any reason why someone would buy a cup version.

Yes its slightly lighter..about 20kgs. But 20kgs doesnt mean anything in the real world.

The sacrifice outweighs the benefits ten fold for me.

yeah i would also go for the 182 over the 182 cup. really no performance increase unless ya think 0.2 of a second is a lot. plus if you go for the recaro seat option it looks to be cheaper for the 182 compared to the cup for some silly reason.

plus you will love the xenons

0.2 of a second in the real world = f**k all difference. that can be lost due to driver ability, weight of the driver of each car, poor gearchange, different state of wear tyres, incorrectly inflated tyres. it really is all marketing hype, the 172cup was no faster than the 172 in the real world and that was 80kgs lighter so 20 will make even less difference.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Cups quicker round the track than the normal 172/ 182. The gap is bigger on the 172 varient due to 80kg lighter apose to 20 kg lighter with the 182.

On the road its mainly down to the driver.

Summary:-

1. If you want all the gizmos and nicer trim and pay for it go for the 172/182 (Cup Pack on 182 a must)

2. If you want the exclusivity of a cup and not bothered about the above (trim and gizmo) get the Cup.

END OF ! ANYONE CAUGHT CONTINUING THE CUP DEBATE IS JUST A T@SS POT AND SHOULD HAVE A MONTHS BAN FROM THE FORUM SO TO GET A LIFE...

[Edited by EVOgone on 21 February 2005 at 12:26pm]

MKIII 138

^^ you cant end a debate because you hate the topic.

anyways i think both cars are nice. but my 2ps worth:

If you want more speed out of the 182 then tuning will be expensive. the best way i can see of gaining performance is to lighten the car.. in that light (no pun) the best thing is to get a momo steering wheel / recaros or ultra light weight 6kg bucket seats + harness / 6.5 kg alloys wheels / remove back seats.

so really if you want the speed of the 182 to keep pace with ever increasing tough new car competion and serious car modders ( even chavs down my way are starting to do Cams remap and turboing and there the sort who used to just fit an exhaust ) then get the 182cup its a good starting point for tuning as was the cup.

20kgs in an already lightweight car does make a difference. try removing you spare + kit (weighs exactly 20kgs) and you will deffo notice smooth through range and it is quicker.

still i do like the idea of all the toys but @ the end of the day its personal choice id love a range rover vogue SE with all the toys but i am being honest with myself.. the clio is small and lightweight thats where its strengh is at.. so to weigh it down is losing the essence of the car.

sorry for posting another topic on the same subject but I found none related exactly to this matter

can the cup suspension be added as an option for the standard 182 or only the spoiler pack?

i believe 20 kg minus in a tight auto-x round would shave 0.5 seconds

the only downside for the cup would be the exterior looks of the car without the HID bulbs then........

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 21 February 2005

Cups quicker round the track than the normal 172/ 182. The gap is bigger on the 172 varient due to 80kg lighter apose to 20 kg lighter with the 182.

On the road its mainly down to the driver.

Summary:-

1. If you want all the gizmos and nicer trim and pay for it go for the 172/182 (Cup Pack on 182 a must)

2. If you want the exclusivity of a cup and not bothered about the above (trim and gizmo) get the Cup.

END OF ! ANYONE CAUGHT CONTINUING THE CUP DEBATE IS JUST A T@SS POT AND SHOULD HAVE A MONTHS BAN FROM THE FORUM SO TO GET A LIFE...

[Edited by EVOgone on 21 February 2005 at 12:26pm]
85 posts and hes banning people already...?

Oh and please turn off your caps lock.

suspension pack can be added to a regular 182 yes. 20kgs ? difference between a different fuel load and size of driver IMO.

VaVa

Dont bother with the Cup unless you intend to track it on a regular basis and strip it etc. Theres nothing to be gained from buying the cheapo version and driving it on the road.

(watches rod tip settle and waits for first bite)

lol. I love this fourm.

Clio 197

Quote: Originally posted by rsclio.172cup on 21 February 2005

Not this again!

This topic should be banned, same sh1t every time....

<yawn> :sleep:
But this is only his/her second post, and so he/she might not have seen the previous posts about it...

Personally, I think we shouldnt add anything to this thread unless we can help, or write something funny for comedy effect.

Back on topic:

Like many have said, the current "cup" has only a financial benefit compared to the full fat 182 with cup packs.

Many people on here have swapped their standard seats for bucket seats, and some have even removed the rear seats. If thats your plan, then a "cup" would be ideal.

Both are loveley cars.

Quote: the 172cup was no faster than the 172 in the real world

Thats BS get 2 "good ones" (172 & Cup) and there is a noticeable difference on the road I’m afraid.

My bro used to own a 172 (15.0 1/4 mile with full interior/spare) raced them both standard MANY times and trust me there is a difference.

one car against yours result you were quicker, my car against two cups i know the owners of and a couple i dont, jack sh*t in it. lets just say its open to debate shall we, the level of peoples ability varies so much that in reality the pitiful difference you might gain from the lower weight will add up to nothing. on a dry day on a racetrack with two pro drivers then the weight and lack of abs will give the cup the edge but im not talking about a racetrack on a dry day with pro drivers.

has anyone else noticed that their car is not as quick if it has an extra passenger in it? Well, look at it this way, a Cups performance would be equal to a standard 172 if the Cup was 2 up and the normal 172 was 1 up, given that the Cups passenger was a big fat git at 89kg ;)

We all know a standard 172 Cup vs a standard 172 there is a performance difference, there is no argument about it. Accept it and move on...

So so sad, yet agian, there is no real difference in the real world.

Point is, I have been a passenger in a 2.6 Rover SDI (Police car). We were chasing a Porche 911 Turbo round the East End. Guess what. The guy may have the far faster car. So what. He was caught, and more importantly could not leave my driver. Huge acceleration without ability is pointless and hugely dangerous.

What makes any of you think you have any ability on a road?

Grow up people, there is feck all between any of the variants. Especially since the variance of the driver is far more important than 20KG. Christ a half tank of fuel.

FFS!!!!!

Omar, fair point mate - new user wouldnt know about previous posts, but my comments werent so much aimed at any individual, more of an observation really.

Arun, both are fantastic cars. Read the articles on Evo. Both the 182 with Cup packs and 182 Cup get great reviews. - Youll have a smile from ear to ear in either car when you drive it.

IMO To see the true performance benefits of a Cup I think youd have to be a really skillfull driver on a track. The real benefit of a Cup is in your wallet.

MKIII 138

in what language is saving money a bad thing ?? fecks sake i used to argue that the cup was pointless and for cheapos as i owend the MKII172 but i was sooo wrong apart from looking massivley more sexy on the road 80kgs in an already lightweight car is a lot. the cup looked better with its colour spillter alloys wider lower stance.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by meggerman on 21 February 2005

<SCRIPT language=javascript> in what language is saving money a bad thing ?? fecks sake i used to argue that the cup was pointless and for cheapos as i owend the MKII172 but i was sooo wrong apart from looking massivley more sexy on the road 80kgs in an already lightweight car is a lot. the cup looked better with its colour spillter alloys wider lower stance.
???

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 21 February 2005

<SCRIPT language=javascript> in what language is saving money a bad thing ?? fecks sake i used to argue that the cup was pointless and for cheapos as i owend the MKII172 but i was sooo wrong apart from looking massivley more sexy on the road 80kgs in an already lightweight car is a lot. the cup looked better with its colour spillter alloys wider lower stance.
???
Mondial blue, wider track due to the wheels.

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by Loony on 21 February 2005

the 172cup was no faster than the 172 in the real world and that was 80kgs lighter so 20 will make even less difference.
hehehe - crap of load :) - i suppose thats why i take standard 172s with easee.. yes, i said EASE :) ( Plz believe me, i cant be arsed to go hunting another one, camera phone vid it, then post the evidence on here )

Floodie

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 21 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 21 February 2005

???
Mondial blue, wider track due to the wheels.
i dont think it was wider was it, and the splitter wasnt coloured although reading it again he maybe should have used a bit of punctuation!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 21 February 2005

the 172cup was no faster than the 172 in the real world and that was 80kgs lighter so 20 will make even less difference.
hehehe - crap of load :) - i suppose thats why i take standard 172s with easee.. yes, i said EASE :) ( Plz believe me, i cant be arsed to go hunting another one, camera phone vid it, then post the evidence on here )

Floodie
from what i saw yesterday this 0-60 business has very little to do with whos gonna win, with all the renaultsports being so close powerwise its going to all be down to the start and who gets the better one! (and I know we arent talking about 0-60 but someone always has the edge in a race)

[Edited by dave182 on 21 February 2005 at 9:04pm]

There is a large number of sadly very ignorant people on here, to "take someone with ease" you need a significant advantage in either power or weight. There are plenty of 172 drivers here who have been up against cups on trackdays and have either passed them or been neck and neck everywhere. driver ability is the deciding factor when performance is so similar and i would suggest these 172s you "passed with ease" were being driven by decidedly inadequate drivers.

....... driver ability is the deciding factor when performance is so similar and i would suggest these 172s you "passed with ease" were being driven by decidedly inadequate drivers.

This is so true. I have passengered with drivers who are much more capable than me and their ability to control a car can make up massive differences in power to weight. Yes they may get left on a straight, but as soon as the track curves, theyre there again.

How you can "pass with ease" in a car with 80 kg difference is beyond me - it doesnt happen if both drivers are actually on it. You need a large power to weight ratio difference to begin to "leave" cars behind.

Quote: Originally posted by Floodie on 21 February 2005

Floodie

:p

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

Listen, a 172 with a good engine in it will be slower (on the road/track/strip) than a 172 Cup the same standard of engine. The same is true of the 182/182 Cup. The engine, and the car as a whole, varies in quality and power output, that will make a bigger difference than 20KG either way.