ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Vs Audi S3 - anyone had a go?

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi all! :)

Thinking of buying a 182 as my next car.

Going from an Audi S3 i dont really know what to expect.
Starting new job soon which is alot closer to home so wont be racking up the miles anymore so was thinking of going for something 'fun' to drive.
I know il be losing out on build quality and general spec but i do really like the look of them and i imagine theyre a bit better on the fuel than the S3??

Im 20years old, got 4yrs NCB, been getting quotes around £1350 F/C in my own name.

Cheers

Ash

*Few piccies of the Audi if anyone is interested

S3_NEW_013_Medium.jpg

s3_new_018_medium.jpg

www.renparts.co.uk
have you driven one? i think you will be horrified with the seating position in comparison....
Ive got an a3 1.8t and much prefer to drive the audi, only thing i much prefer about the clio is the fact you can chuck it around and feel in control... Out of interest how much insurance are you currently paying on the S3?

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I'll do you a straight swap for my 172?

Im also from Shrewsbury!

No thanks mate, want a 182

Paying £1700 on the S3, i know its alot but im enjoying it now before i have to get something sensible!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Same car, just the 182 doesn't has a spare wheel!
Cool i'll keep a look out.

www.renparts.co.uk
i think the novelty will wear off the 182 quickly tbh... you will notice how much less well put together they feel... plus you will never want to go on a long journey.... have a test drive and see but i think the seating position might put you right off.. unless your short and have the seat high... in my a3 i have it on the lowest setting...

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
i think the novelty will wear off the 182 quickly tbh... you will notice how much less well put together they feel... plus you will never want to go on a long journey.... have a test drive and see but i think the seating position might put you right off.. unless your short and have the seat high... in my a3 i have it on the lowest setting...

im quite tall actually! also have my seat on the lowest setting and quite far back.

think il definetly pop down to renault for a test in one, they never seem to have any decent cars in Shrewsbury though, all the dealers are the same, never get any sporty models

www.renparts.co.uk
you may find it doesn't bother you... but i thought there was something was wrong when i got in a 172 after driving the a3... theyre just such a relaxing drive in comparison to the clio, not sure if you drive a lot of cars or have owned a lot, don't let me insult you knowledge but as im sure your aware as its not a turbo the power delivery is very very different to the audi and you have to really wind up the engine to get the power out of it...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I drove the works mondeo yesterday, it had such a better driving position, steering was less like a bus's, gearstick was in a lovely place and the seat was much lower than the clio. So comparing it to the Audi....

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
yeah your right, the Audi is so easy and comfy to drive, and its seriously quick! had a bit of a race with a 182 and there wasnt much in it, i completely had the edge off the mark but it didnt take long for him to catch up but then id pull away again. Seems like weight makes hell of a difference.

Had quite a few cars for my age, on my 10th now!
(not due to crashing them or anything, just get bored quick)
although ive had the audi 12months now and not really bored of it yet, just fed up of the poor fuel consumption! 8mpg when nailing it!! - 22mpg average, 28 on a good run

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i beat one in my old 172!

Colin who bought mine beats his mates S3 fairly easily i believe!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
S3's come in some different power ranges in that model.There was a 210 and a 225.The 210 will have a clio all over it where as the 225 may get the legs after 100mph

impreza p1
i had a s3 before my 182m was the same colour as the pic. i always wanted one but i was dissapointed, thought it was a s**t car tbh but maybe i had a bad example. had it 2 months i think. i'd have my 182 over a s3 for the same money without a doubt. clio is much more fun, the s3 makes you feel old, its more prestige than sports hatch. 2 very different cars imo

Last edited:
  Clio 172 mk2
Two totally different cars so hard to compare.

I did want an S3 but realized how expensive they were for what you get...ended up in the 172.

I think you'll find the 182 very flimsy compared to the Audi but then there's the handling/fun that makes up for it.

My mate has got a noggy blue 225 s3, i love the recaro's in them and they are very well put together cars. I dont think i could go from an s3 to a clio sport, once you get used to the quality etc

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
thanks guys, totaly agree with what everyone is saying.

maybe i am a bit used to the quality, but the clio sports cant be built 'that bad' can they?
whats the main problems with 182's then?

was also looking at Astra GSi Turbos, same kind of money, same kind of insurance. Dont like CTR's much at all, though id have an EK9 but theyre pretty slow for what yo pay to insure them...

There is never a perfect car is there!

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
My S3 was the 210bhp model but had Forge FMIC, Forge DV, K&N, Eibachs, Brembo 4-pots, Milltek Stainless exhaust, Milltek sports CAT, 18" genuine RSTT wheels, KW tiebars few more things i cant remember!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
My opinion, S3's are very decent cars, great build quality, great interior, great image. 182's, worse build quality, worse interior, average image, but better to drive, better brakes, better throttle response and far better chassis balance.

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
what is it about the build quality that lets them down? do they literaly fall apart or what?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No, not at all. I was lucky, had a 172 then a 182, only had one rattle between them! That was 45000 miles each, 4 track days in the 182. But interior plastics etc aren't very nice compared to the Audi. The one rattle I had was fixed in ten minutes by fiddling with the dash. If I had the choice again, I would of stuck with the 172, H&R coilovers.

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Im 20years old, got 4yrs NCB, been getting quotes around £1350 F/C in my own name.

How have you got 4 years NCB at 20?

1yr on a scooter when i was 16, works with 8/10 insurance companies and on my proof on ncb it just says 4yrs so im not complaining!

why would you go for a 172 instead of a 182, what the difference and where does the 10bhp come from? few little tweeks or is it more than that?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
A good 172 will prob be more powerful than a bad 182! They're not the most consistent engines. 182 has a better manifold. But, having been head to head with a few cars, there's f**k all in it speed wise. Interior is 99% identical, given the price difference I'd go 172, couple of mods (splitter, suspension).

www.renparts.co.uk
i think the RS clio just feels cheap... its not like an alfa, blowing up and bits falling off in your hands... its just rattles, cheap looking trim..... noisier ride and generally doesn't feel as well screwed together..... you can tell your not in a preium quality product... all the same i love them... great to drive just not a comfortable cruiser.... but thats not what they're for... its for the B roads ;)

Snotter's
i personally wouldnt go from an s3 to a 1*2 as its a downgrade, dont get me wrong the clios are brilliant cars but lack quality. With those mods to your s3 you should be killing a 1*2 and will find one slow in comparison.

VaVa
Downgrade in quality - Yes, if that's your bag.

Downgrade in comfort - Yes.

Downgrade in Fun - Never.

Downgrade in Handling - Nope.

Downgrade in Performance - Standard v standard, no.

Depends what you look for in a car.... They're very different.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You hear the 1*2's often mentioned as one of the best hot hatches ever, never hear that with the S3's. They have the same problem with all older Audi's, lots of grip but no finesse. At the end of the day, if you want a cruiser go for the Audi, if you want a cracking drive, go Clio. You couldn't pick 2 more different hot hatches.

Der Panzer
1*2s and the 197s are the only french cars I'd consider.

Not sure I could ever leave German build quality behind.

Plus Audis are beautiful in an ugly Teutonic way. :cool:

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Im certainly prepared to downgrade, as at 20yrs old i dont think i could upgrade from the S3 at my age without spending ridiculous money on insurance and its a joke as it it tbh.

Really love the look of the 1*2's theres 2 182's next to my girlfriends house and i go really slow past them everytime so i can have a good look!! one is black and the other is blue, both are always immaculately clean and just look mint! but having never even been in one / driven one im unsure what to do.

I dont have the S3 anymore btw, it was taken off me by the police about 5weeks ago :dapprove:
Not for driving like an idiot like you might think, but it was infact a ringer, stolen 3yrs ago, i owned it 12months with no problems, when all of a sudden one day it gets taken off you. Gutted!
the full story is here if anyone fancies a read!
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42673

R.I.P 182
Ash i think you should definately do the test drive soon to make your mind up, i did and i fell in love with it even more (although i havent driven an S3!) Im the same as you, 20 i get bored with cars easilly, in past year and a half i've had 4 cars (and i only passed in july 06 :S

But i love this quite nippy you get lots of looks as its subtle but it looks gorgeous and has a nice front and bum. lol..

Sure u can get insurance cheaper though try elephant, quoted me £1004 for the 182 fully comp.. 2yrs ncb

Im certainly prepared to downgrade, as at 20yrs old i dont think i could upgrade from the S3 at my age without spending ridiculous money on insurance and its a joke as it it tbh.

Really love the look of the 1*2's theres 2 182's next to my girlfriends house and i go really slow past them everytime so i can have a good look!! one is black and the other is blue, both are always immaculately clean and just look mint! but having never even been in one / driven one im unsure what to do.

I dont have the S3 anymore btw, it was taken off me by the police about 5weeks ago :dapprove:
Not for driving like an idiot like you might think, but it was infact a ringer, stolen 3yrs ago, i owned it 12months with no problems, when all of a sudden one day it gets taken off you. Gutted!
the full story is here if anyone fancies a read!
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=42673

I can remember reading that on audi sport, cant believe the police were looking for it for all that time!

My mate is on that website, nky_84

yep im the same i wanted an s3 looked out for one for ages and finally realised id have to live on bread and no butter lol

but thats only on my wage so i plumped for a 182 and i love it!

people go on about the seating position and the steering wheel but to be honest im 6 foot and i have driven to leeds and back... london and back and its not that bad i mean nearly any car ur gonna have a bit of an ache doing a 3 hour journey

lovely cars tho the s3 ... especially the new ones i love the look of silver wing mirrors on them

anyway im only in bridgnorth so if ya get one give us a shout

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I had a 172 and then a 182.Both great fun to drive and own.They were both faultless and i miss them.However i bought a 10 yr old golf highline and it was quieter to drive and didnt rattle as much