ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs Corsa redtop

Clio 182 FF
What is quicker? think the redtop has a c20let engine. thanks
the corsa has some sort of cams and manifold. 182 just has cat system no decat.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
C20let is the 2 litre turbo I think - that would be quicker then a 182 as long as it was running right/the head hadn't gone porous.

clio 182
If it is the c20let as above that's a turbo motor and you will prob loose!

If its a n/a 2.0 it depends on a lot of things. I was running with a couple at knockhill, one I couldn't catch and the other I got past!

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
It's prob the C20XE you're talking about - out of a mk2 astra gte, or some of the chavaliers back in the day. Standard they run 155bhp, but are quite tuneable - with throttle bodies and cams there are a lot fo them in caterhams/westfields running well over 200bhp.

IN a corsa it'd be close to a 182 - depends how good condition the engine is in . A lot of those cars that have been converted are absolute nails. I used to have an MI16 205 gti with 160bhp and it used to be quicker then the corsas with red top conversions and about on the same pace as 172/182s. But slightly slower then EP3 Civic type Rs top end.

Clio 182 FF
It's prob the C20XE you're talking about - out of a mk2 astra gte, or some of the chavaliers back in the day. Standard they run 155bhp, but are quite tuneable - with throttle bodies and cams there are a lot fo them in caterhams/westfields running well over 200bhp.

IN a corsa it'd be close to a 182 - depends how good condition the engine is in . A lot of those cars that have been converted are absolute nails. I used to have an MI16 205 gti with 160bhp and it used to be quicker then the corsas with red top conversions and about on the same pace as 172/182s. But slightly slower then EP3 Civic type Rs top end.

the engine in his is out of a calibre, with cams and manifold exhaust, also stripped out to max. going to have to remap my 182, cant be losing against a 800 quid corsa :-(

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
If the redtop is running well and has uprated cams/freer flowing manifold and a decent remap then I suspect with the lighter weight of the corsa then he's probably going to be marginally quicker (assuming he doesn't have stupid big wheels) accelerating. Hope he's uprated the brakes.

Remapping your Clio is unlikely to help very much I'd suggest.

However, he is still driving a corsa, and they aren't the best handling of things as standard.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
the engine in his is out of a calibre, with cams and manifold exhaust, also stripped out to max. going to have to remap my 182, cant be losing against a 800 quid corsa :-(

Why? A few ponits to consider :)
  • You have a nicer/newer car than him
  • Your car is probably more fun to drive
  • Your car will be more capable in the bends
  • Your car will hold it's value better
  • Your car hasn't got as much of a chav reputation
  • Straight line racing is for heavy bents
  • A remap on a 182 won't give you much power, if any- Just makes it nicer to drive, amongs a few other benafits.
Present the above to your mate and tell him to STFU :p

If it was a LET the corsa would win quite easily I would think..

I had a cam'd valver (1.8) and could get away from my mates XE Corsa quite easily without any effort

Clio 182 FF
he doesnt have a remap on it. It is a quick car, feels quicker than my 182 but thats probably because there is absolutely nothing in it, literally metal everywhere apart from the 2 front seats lol. cheers for feedback.

Clio 182 FF
Why? A few ponits to consider :)

• You have a nicer/newer car than him
  • Your car is probably more fun to drive
  • Your car will be more capable in the bends
  • Your car will hold it's value better
  • Your car hasn't got as much of a chav reputation
  • Straight line racing is for heavy bents
  • A remap on a 182 won't give you much power, if any- Just makes it nicer to drive, amongs a few other benafits.
Present the above to your mate and tell him to STFU :p

haha! i think we have both agreed the clio would be better on track! dragstrip though hmmmm

53 Clio's & counting
A mate had one, completely slayed him in my MK1 Hybrid, and when my 172 was standard we were about equal.

But it all comes down to driver ability and how healthy the engine is.

Even the newest redtops are 18 yeads old now.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A friend had a C20XE in a Nova and then into a Corsa with breathing mods, was hardly anything in it against my standard 182.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
as said, the redtop engines are quite tunable. and more so if its the older 20xe with the coscast head.
the thing i find rubbish with the redtop is the gearbox, the f20 is too long for it.
there would probably be nothing in it between the clio and corsa.
and thats if the xe engine is a good 'un

FF Racing Blue 182
those turbo corsas are flying machines id rather have a 182 all day long though and id never get sick of looking at it

RB 182 cup
had both a c20xe corsa (na) and c20let turbo before my clio

c20xe would be a close run, mine ran 14.7 qtrs all day long feel the clio would have the edge at higher speeds

my c20let would had destoryed my clio without a doubt, was a fun car run 13.2 qtr and im sure would have done 12's on the right day

Clio 182
I drove Vauxal from 1988 till 2010.
My last car was a Corsa 1600 16V. I bought the car new in 2000.
After a year i build in the 2.0 16 C20XE engine.

A standard 20XE has 156bhp.
The C20XE with cat has 150bhp.
Soner or later you have to repair/change the head(oil in your water).

After the C20XE i build in a custom made 2300XE engine(Frontera 2.2 changed into 2.3) with 2.0 16V head, Jenvey throttle bodies and DTA management, Quaife ATB etc. etc.
I had 242,6bhp.
Throttlebodies on a Corsa are on the back of the engine what means hot air in your engine or you have to make a hole in your bonnet.

This year i bought the original Clio 182 in dynamo blue but i like the car much more than the 242,6bhp Corsa.
And no problems with the police because the 2.0 in a 182 is original.
When you want, the Clio 182 is easy to tune for more bhp and would be better than a tuned Corsa and younger.
Next year i'll buy throttlebodies for my 182. I like to have at least 210-220bhp!

I like to drive the Clio 182 more than all the cars i had before!!
:race:

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
You'll need to do a lot of work to get the 182 up to anywhere near 242bhp - I think from what I've read on here that to get around the 210bhp mark you're looking for you'll need uprated cams and throttle bodies (or maybe cams and the new JMS inlet?) etc etc...

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Personally i cannot see the F4R being tuned anywhere past a reliable 210bhp by staying normally asspirated, given that the standard engines never normally make more than factory claimed figures.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Personally i cannot see the F4R being tuned anywhere past a reliable 210bhp by staying normally asspirated, given that the standard engines never normally make more than factory claimed figures.

:S

There have been a fair few 225bhp+ builds on here over the years.

Yoz's Cup was a prime example.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Define reliable. It was owned by someone who knew RS Clios inside out and was maintained fastidiously. Give it to someone who doesn't know what they're doing and course they'll f**k something up.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not really. The engine was bombproof and was abused regularly... basic maintenance should be applied to any car.

If I remember rightly though, it had an appetite for engine mounts.

If you define 'reliable' by "I fill it with petrol and change the oil every 18k" then I'm not sure you should even run a standard 172 or 182.

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The 2.0l F4R rarely ever makes book figures.

Take my 182 for instance, i had it rolling roaded, it made 176bhp, the reason i got it done? The cambelt had just been done, i wanted to make sure it was atleast above 170bhp to make sure the engine was strong and more importantly, the cam timing correct.

If i added cam shafts a full exhaust and ITB's id be very suprised if it made over 210-220bhp, if it read over this without a S/T charger, id be dubious, very infact.

The workmanship doesnt come into it.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Off course you'll need more than only throttlebodies and DTA but a standard Clio 182 has more power than a standard Corsa with 2.0XEengine.
So you have a beter basic with the Clio 182.

The Vauxhal C20LET engine is a turbo engine whit 204bhp with KKK turbo. Most of these engines has problems or will need a new turbo.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The 2.0l F4R rarely ever makes book figures.

Take my 182 for instance, i had it rolling roaded, it made 176bhp, the reason i got it done? The cambelt had just been done, i wanted to make sure it was atleast above 170bhp to make sure the engine was strong and more importantly, the cam timing correct.

If i added cam shafts a full exhaust and ITB's id be very suprised if it made over 210-220bhp, if it read over this without a S/T charger, id be dubious, very infact.

The workmanship doesnt come into it.

LOL, ok, but what's your point?

ITB BG 182
Last time i had my car on the rollers it made 204bhp with itbs no cams or head work though, if i had cams like the 421's i should easily see over 210.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Off course you'll need more than only throttlebodies and DTA but a standard Clio 182 has more power than a standard Corsa with 2.0XEengine.
So you have a beter basic with the Clio 182.

The Vauxhal C20LET engine is a turbo engine whit 204bhp with KKK turbo. Most of these engines has problems or will need a new turbo.

Never the other stuff you have to do to it to make it capable at the speeds that engine can achieve! (brakes, suspension etc)

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Last time i had my car on the rollers it made 204bhp with itbs no cams or head work though, if i had cams like the 421's i should easily see over 210.

Assumptions dont make power unfortunatley, otherwise mines would be 567bhp at the wheels.

Personally its all about the drive for me, if it feels good then im happy.

Waving ones c**k around to pub figures isnt my cup of tea, what i was trying to get at is there are far too many who are quick to say "after my cars had this and that done it should make X on the rollers"

Assumptions dont make power unfortunatley, otherwise mines would be 567bhp at the wheels.

Personally its all about the drive for me, if it feels good then im happy.

Waving ones c**k around to pub figures isnt my cup of tea, what i was trying to get at is there are far too many who are quick to say "after my cars had this and that done it should make X on the rollers"
its a rough estimate... if i planned on modding any car, id like to have a rough idea of what the improvement would be, although, I guess that some estimates tend to be a little exaggerated.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
After the C20XE i build in a custom made 2300XE engine(Frontera 2.2 changed into 2.3) with 2.0 16V head, Jenvey throttle bodies and DTA management, Quaife ATB etc. etc.
I had 242,6bhp.

PICTURES REQUIRED!!!!

I bet that was an animal

I used to have an MI16 205 gti with 160bhp and it used to be quicker then the corsas with red top conversions and about on the same pace as 172/182s. But slightly slower then EP3 Civic type Rs top end.

Agreed.
I had an Mi16 205 a little while back and was a very capable car with 160bhp on tap. Was quicker than a c20XE a friend had but kept up with my brothers 197 apart from top end speed.
As said above it all depends on the condition of engine, type of tune and exactly how he is putting the power down on the road.

Still i'd rather have a 182 than a corsa regardless of engine, no offence but the the corsa could have a W12 engine and i still wouldnt have it lol

Last edited: