ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Vs Ctr..

Ford Fiesta
yeah, not keen on CTR shape and they dont come with half of stuff the clio does. Still nice cars tho!

Golf GTI Ed30
Liam182 said:
yeah, not keen on CTR shape and they dont come with half of stuff the clio does. Still nice cars tho!
Comes with one big thing over the Clio though...... RELIABILITY!!! lol

Not a Clio
If i had to choose between the 2 I'd choose the CTR due to reliability and I prefer the looks. (i don't own a clio ;) )

Clio v6
ClioSport is a dedicated Clio club. The club is run by Clio enthusiasts for Clio enthusiasts, and _simon_ ;)

We all love the CTR why else do you think we are here lol

Ford Fiesta
Vtec Abuser said:
Comes with one big thing over the Clio though...... RELIABILITY!!! lol

true but i know ppl who have had major stuff go wrong with their CTRs. Still i agree on average prob more niggly things on the renaults.

Up to you at end of day test drive both see what you think.

Clio Cup
There was a black one at bedford when we were there last, it was flippin quick we couldnt get near it. Probably not standard though.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i'd give a ctr a try just for a bit of variety really. no other reason.

Yaris Hybrid
The hundredth thread on the subject!

Here is what I said in the other threads after seeing my friends ownership experience (which only lasted a few months before he sold it) and driving it myself:

1, Depreciation is no better on the CTR when you take into account the discounts you get on a new Clio. The CTR only does better compared to list price.

2, When bored of the CTR do not trade it in at a Honda dealer as they will offer you about 10p.

3, Reliability is no better than the 182 as my mate had as many niggles as me and things like the wheels had deteriorated badly from a cosmetic point of view.

4, The above is surprising given that the CTR has far less to go wrong given that it has virtually no toys what so ever in comparison to the 182.

5, IMO the CTR looked better when parked next to my 182.

6, The 182 is marginally* quicker up to about 70mph especially when coming off corners.

7, The CTR is marginally* quicker over 70mph.

8, The CTR has too much power assistance on the steering so you don't have as much confidence.

9, which is a shame because despite being heavier it isn't that far down on cornering and braking.

10, If offered either one for free I'd take the CTR but the value for money is so much poorer that if I was buying the car I'd take the 182 every time.

11, The CTR sounds better especially when blipping on the down change.

12, The CTR is less of a drivers car but is a superior car for cruising and every day use due to a better driving position and less noise.

13, The VTEC kick is less than the 182's kick and less torque steer results.

14, I think the CTR would impress birds more than a 182.

*unless you are racing side by side you wouldn't notice the difference. They feel identically as quick when driving on an empty road with no reference points.

Last edited:
  Racin Blue 182
That sums it up pretty well, Toypop. I decided to go for the 182 for toys, the understated looks, go-cart handling and because the CTR is a, errr, cl*t car, lol - there's loads about near me. There's no doubt that the CTR is a fantastic machine though.

Yaris Hybrid
Really I could have summed it up in a fraction of the words.

The CTR is the better car in terms of what I would like to own for the sake of it, the 182 is the better car when you also look at equipment lists, price tags and what I want to pay for it.

The pre 04 CTR was a couple of tenths slower than the 182 on 5th Gear and the 04-on CTR was a couple of tenths quicker...granted 182 Cups and Trophy's might be a tad quicker but the bottom line is that a couple of tenths over a whole lap means that there is sod all difference between the cars so unless you intend exceeding 120mph (182 gets raped from then on) on a regular basis just forget the performance and buy according to personal styling tastes and budget.

Street Triple R
Definately agree with Toypop that girls like the CTR more

for me myself though id have the EK9 CTR, that would wipe the floor with any RS clio (V6 excepted)........up to 60 anyway :)

Yaris Hybrid
I think I do still want a CTR, I have to admit I loved it....:S

I dunno its like trying to choose between Britney Spears or Charlotte Church - you just can't! Both are good but in different ways and if you have either one you will always hanker for the other.

My choice of what car to buy was down to these two cars. This is what I thought of the two after a couple of test drives:

Clio was cheaper and had MUCH better specification.

CTR felt as if you had to push it to get really good performance - but when you did it felt amazing :). The clio was gutsier lower down, so you don't have to rev over 7k rpm to get decent performance.

The clio felt a lot lighter than the civic, and had much better feedback.

The civic was roomier though, the driving position was spot on, and the gear change was......oh i'm come over all faint.......

Also, the clio looked a little more stylish and understated. Not as 'in-your-face' as the civic.

I must admit, I did love the CTR. If they were the closely priced and to the same spec, I have to admit i'd probably be posting in the CTR forum right now! As it stands, I love clios and I stand by my choice.
To be honest they're in two different classes anyway - the clio is a 'supermini' and the civic is a family hatch. The civic would be more at home being compared to the likes of the focus st or megane 225, whereas the clio should be compared to the mini cooper s or skoda fabia rs.

Street Triple R
Toypop said:
I dunno its like trying to choose between Britney Spears or Charlotte Church - you just can't! Both are good but in different ways .

think youve hit the nail on the head there! :) i was gonne say Britney, no question....but then, when you think about it...

Same as the 172 v ctr argument

Yaris Hybrid
I just had a thought. Suppose you owned both cars. Every time you go out you see both keys on the table. Which one would you take the most?

Tell you what, I'd take the CTR 100% of the time.

Unless it was really hot and I didn't have AC on the CTR....hmmm...nah I'd still take the CTR lol.

Money money money really....er but the 182 is fun.... argghh I don't want to think about it. At the end of the day two absolutely wicked cars and you can only afford one of them. Its a tough life.

172 phaseII
alot of girls cream thereselves when they see a ctr round my area.
i prefer a clio over them, also the vtec sounds like it is broken! lol

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
i much prefer the clio. so much more fun. the ctr is too big and more of a cruiser than a wee pocket rocket that you get for fun
although i do disagree with some of what was said on here in the comparisons.

Clio 172 mk2
A CTR was onmy list when I was looking for a new car but after reading lots of reviews on them I was put off.

Lots said about the CTRs powerband, lack of torque and unpredictable nature in the wet.

After reading a few evo articles I was definately won over by the Clio:)

i considered a CTR but for the money i had available i would have had to get an older one.
they dont have as decent spec as the 182, theyre basically the same performance, i think the ctr looks a bit more modern even if it does resemble a small van.

oh and the fact i could get an insurance quote on a 182 yet they wouldnt even give me a price for a type-r

if i had the choice of having them both the same age for the same price back then i would have said CTR.
but now theyre everywhere in my area so id choose the 182..

allthough if the option was one of those jap JDM spec white one's then id have to choose that..

one other thing.. alot of people think ''woah type-r, rapid''
but then they just assume the clio is just a nippy sporty version which makes it more fun and suprising when they have a ride in it/get left round the track by it

Yaris Hybrid
One thing I will say about the 182 in reference to what GuyS said at the end of his post is that it does make the CTR, the S2000 and the Mk1 V6 somewhat of a disappointment when you drive them because they kind of just felt the same when I was expecting them to feel quicker.

Thats not to say I wouldn't want one of those three cars but I think the 182 would provide the greatest surprise for someone that wasn't in the know.

172 phaseII
my 172 is either tailgating my mates 172, or other cases behind him I hsve to brake before his vtec cuts in. And down a slight slope the other evening i was pulling away quite a fair bit!

MINI JCW
When I came to the buy the 182 I never really considered the Type R, I dont feel it represents good value for money against the 182, If I would have had 16K etc to spend I think I would have looked at a used RS or a new LCR or Meg 225

172 phaseII
sorry, i get to worked up. I just dont understand why thwy are soo common, and why people have them as a dream car!

Was the my golf course on saturday chatting to the pro about cars, he talking about cars, asked me "what'd be my dream car? ctr, oh id love to have 1 of those!" i said no way! ctr my dream car, good luck!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
Rich0404 said:
sorry, i get to worked up. I just dont understand why thwy are soo common, and why people have them as a dream car!

Was the my golf course on saturday chatting to the pro about cars, he talking about cars, asked me "what'd be my dream car? ctr, oh id love to have 1 of those!" i said no way! ctr my dream car, good luck!

dream car ?! lol
an RS6 or new RS4 for me baby :cool:

172 phaseII
gazcaddy said:
When I came to the buy the 182 I never really considered the Type R, I dont feel it represents good value for money against the 182, If I would have had 16K etc to spend I think I would have looked at a used RS or a new LCR or Meg 225

yep definately! tbh i think they are over-rated like im feeling that way with the new ford.

172 phaseII
glasgow182 said:
dream car ?! lol
an RS6 or new RS4 for me baby :cool:

I know! and remember im speaking toa future professional golfer. well everyone thinks he will be! my minds staying with erm, maybe the greenkeeper.

at the end of the day. if your sat there with 10k to spend on a second hand car

and you can buy a year old renault on low mileage with xenon lights, climate control, cruise control, etc etc etc etc and 2 years of warranty cover still

or a couple of year old type-r (which seem to be everywhere in my area)

both practically the same performance wise.

thats the position i was in and i chose the 182

you pays your money you takes your choice.

as for the whole type-r being your dream car thing.. just imagine how dissapointed you would be if you wished for your dream car and it came true.. wow, a honda civic with 197hp... ''what dreams are made of'' - hardly!
dream car id probably say a bugatti veyron personally.