ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Vs Ctr..

Yaris Hybrid
Just to stress again (as I saw the usual mistake repeated above) that the depreciation is NOT better on a CTR. Depreciation compared to list price is better on the CTR but most people are paying two to three thousand less than list for their 182 whereas no discounts were available for me on a CTR.

MINI JCW
Toypop said:
Just to stress again (as I saw the usual mistake repeated above) that the depreciation is NOT better on a CTR. Depreciation compared to list price is better on the CTR but most people are paying two to three thousand less than list for their 182 whereas no discounts were available for me on a CTR.

agree, according to autocar:

Honda Civic Type R= 16,380 retains 60% value = 9828 after 3 years

Clio 182 = 14,800 retains 49% value =7272 after 3 years

No discount on CTR and say the average 182 is bought for 13k then it retains 56% of its value, so theres not that much in it

Renaultsport Clio 182
I considered the CTR when I had the money to buy a new car. It would have been a older than my 182, with more miles, and little (or no) warranty left. I do like CTR's, impressive performance, nice interior, decent build quality etc. I'm not really taken by the looks mind, unlike the 182 which I luv the look of :)

All in all, glad I went 182 really.

MINI JCW
Rcbuk said:
Type R, hate to say it but it is the better car,

I dont see any reason to get the Type R over the Clio other than space (182 so much better value for money, more toys etc) and if its space your after I would buy something else

i personally wouldnt spend the same money, to buy a car thats 2 year older, no warranty, same performance, more common (in my area), no xenons, no climate control, no cruise control, etc JUST because its got a bit better build quality..*

*unless it was the white JDM spec jap one cos theyre gorgeous..

MINI JCW
adtmits said:
Build qualities another.......

Know what you mean about spec!!!

Yeah the build is better and I assume customer service is better too! but honestly I dont think the build of my 182 is that bad, yes it could be better and its clear they have cut corners, but its nowhere near as bad as my mates 206 when you slam the door it feels and sounds like it will come off!

gont-off05.jpg

the best type of CTR..

arent they something silly like 5 and half seconds to 60??

for a n/a 1.6 in a 'relatively' heavy car (compared to a citroen AX) that is MENTAL

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
gazcaddy said:
agree, according to autocar:

Honda Civic Type R= 16,380 retains 60% value = 9828 after 3 years

Clio 182 = 14,800 retains 49% value =7272 after 3 years

No discount on CTR and say the average 182 is bought for 13k then it retains 56% of its value, so theres not that much in it

You should be able to get the CTR on 0% finance so the ctr would be miles better value if you didnt buy the car outright.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
GuyS said:
arent they something silly like 5 and half seconds to 60??

for a n/a 1.6 in a 'relatively' heavy car (compared to a citroen AX) that is MENTAL

they are indeed. totally insane. only 185 bhp too.
i love the ek9's. considering getting one next :cool:

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
don't know about that ek9 type r

they've cut down the weight 30kg compared to civic siR, added 15 more hp...but they've left the gearbox untouched, so it's really hard to tell where they got those impresive 0-60 stats...

anyway, best motoring tested the ek9 type r and they ran it 15.8s on a drag strip...

Golf GTI Ed30
Autocar tested the EK9 a few years ago and managed 5.6 0-60 in it. But the best figure was the 0-30, which was something daft like 1.8 secs... That's 4wd territory!!! I'll see if i can find the test....

Drive both... what ever one you think is better for you.. BUY, then shut up and live with what you bought!

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
Loopz said:
don't know about that ek9 type r

they've cut down the weight 30kg compared to civic siR, added 15 more hp...but they've left the gearbox untouched, so it's really hard to tell where they got those impresive 0-60 stats...

anyway, best motoring tested the ek9 type r and they ran it 15.8s on a drag strip...

the ek9 is all about the 0-60 speed. its only a n/a 1.6 after all. something to do with the drivetrain setup etc makes it outrageously fast to 60 but after that its jus a normal 1.6. top speed is like 120 or sumtin

182 Full Fat
gazcaddy said:
I dont see any reason to get the Type R over the Clio other than space (182 so much better value for money, more toys etc) and if its space your after I would buy something else

182=More toys, i.e Criuse control/speed limiter, plus it comes with xenons and air con/climate control as standard!!

Ad

MK2 FRS
gazcaddy said:
Yeah the build is better and I assume customer service is better too! but honestly I dont think the build of my 182 is that bad, yes it could be better and its clear they have cut corners, but its nowhere near as bad as my mates 206 when you slam the door it feels and sounds like it will come off!

My 182 had no warranty claims in 15k!! But the feel on VAG cars is 10x better than my clio. Its the same as my hire car, Mk V Golf, the finish, switch gear, interior in general is so much better and people even comment on its touches!!

Oh and for those that often say a CTR is more of a rarity, there are 17,000 of the things. Thats a few more than all the RenaultSport Clio's since the first 172 I bet.

MINI JCW
ukaskew said:
Oh and for those that often say a CTR is more of a rarity, there are 17,000 of the things. Thats a few more than all the RenaultSport Clio's since the first 172 I bet.

Agree with that, they are like dog s**t, bloody everywhere!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I test drove the clio and CTR back to back:

'Civic Type-R, very comfy, and the gearbox was lovely with good positioning on the dashboard, but didn’t do anything until 10 million revs and the steering was very artificially weighty which I didn’t like. The thing that put me off the most though was that it was like driving a rocket powered Renault Espace, it felt and looked like I was driving a family bus. A good car for a young couple with a newborn child, lots of space and practicality but with decent driving fun for the weekends – great for the guy who refuses to grow old and buy an estate car to please the wife and kids.'

'Clio 182 ‘full-fat’ with both cup packs. I got in, turned the traction control off and pulled away …. it felt alive, excellent steering, with feedback bombarding you from all angles. Reminded of the first time I drove a 106 gti, just like a go-cart with the potential for much grinning and idiotic driving. Hit 5k rpm and it took off, spinning round to the redline before you realise its time to change gear. Awesome fun and just what I want, im losing the outright speed of my car, but the buzziness and handling ability more than make up for it . . and it’ll cost bugger all to buy & run.'

I bought the 182 and havent looked back

"cruiser" PMSL! Revs to 9k comes on cam at 6k and is unstable in the wet?

Went out for a so called "cruise" in mine before. Bit wet on the road spirited driving almost understeered into someones garden. Came out of supermarket nearly drove over the roundabout (again). Love a good relaxing cruise.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
There both cracking cars.Its down to personal taste and money at the end of the day.I got my 182 on F+F so i could'nt turn it down.
I still think the ctr is a cracking bit of kit though...
ian

Pikey Truck
Dash said:
ClioSport is a dedicated Clio club. The club is run by Clio enthusiasts for Clio enthusiasts, and _simon_ ;)

We all love the CTR why else do you think we are here lol

lol

Ad

MK2 FRS
Gilbert_Ratchet said:
I would have liked to up grade my cup for a 182 but you've got to try other stuff surely.
Agree same with me n the trophy, but after 4 clios.... time for change

black golf v6 4 motion
MY FATHER IN LAW HAS CTR I HAVE 182 AND HAVE DROVE HIS QUITE A BIT I MUST ADMIT THE CTR IS NICE BUT I ALWAYS PREFER MY 182 MUCH MORE FUN TO DRIVE
sorry about caps lock just realised

172 Cup
im in a similar position where i am looking at getting a new car about March and am really stuck between teh CTR and the 172/182. obviously the clio has more and is cheaper and from what i have read its more of a drivers car so that is swaying me. i will also be test driving both in the new year so we will see!

A Beautiful R32
182 is definately more fun to drive, plus the CTR is expensive in comparison. I was sooo close to getting a CTR but the second I drove a 182 I forgot all about the Honda...

The winning comment though is that girls will prefer the 182 to a CTR... You show up in a Honda and they'll think yer a grandad... lol

Ad

MK2 FRS
^^ is an easier decision when you've not had the 182/172.

Dont forget a test drive and actually living with a car are different.

Ive test driven a couple of cars and been disappointed with living with it.

Paul.C 16v said:
im in a similar position where i am looking at getting a new car about March and am really stuck between teh CTR and the 172/182. obviously the clio has more and is cheaper and from what i have read its more of a drivers car so that is swaying me. i will also be test driving both in the new year so we will see!

LOL!...V-TEC and comedy oversteer....so not a drivers car.

A Beautiful R32
When you're a single man you gotta consider all the options lol...

Both great cars in reallity, do you think the Honda forums sit there going should we have bought a 182?? lol

172 Cup
LOL! I had a look over there out of interest and they all seem to have little problems with there cars too! to be honest i think i will end up going for the clio. i have had an RSI, valver and a 2.0 valver and i really like chucking them about. i think the Civic is a bit too big and a lot more money.

I love my 200sx as its got a real kick and fun to go sideways but with all that power keeping it in a stright line is a bit of a nightmare! lol and you can not do corners like a little hatch.

Scirocco GT 210
Davey182 said:
The winning comment though is that girls will prefer the 182 to a CTR... You show up in a Honda and they'll think yer a grandad... lol

You use your car to 'impress' the ladies?