ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vs gti 180

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

how come know one ever compares these two cars, is the Gti 180 crap or what then?

my mate has a Gti and might be getting a 180.

They are not slow but there is just something that I dont like about them ! When I test drove a GTi I was not impressed at all so that put me off for good I think.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Check out "Car" magazine - they feauture the 180, 182, Cooper-S and Seat Leon Cupra.

The 182 was miles ahead of the competition for everything, power, drivability etc etc.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I know your all gunna laugh now but i had a run in with a 04 plate one the other day in my clio 16v.

I must say i wasnt impressed at all cus i stayed wth him! The max he pulled was about 2 car lengths.

Make of it what you will but im not lying!

Oh yeah and thats with my car only with exhaust, filter and decat!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 30 March 2004

trust me mate.he probably wasnt trying.it would piss all over your car.
Doubtfull they are sh*t. they need real hard graft to get them to go quick.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I dont mind him saying that! Im just postin my experience! But he really did seem to be giving it his all. It was brand new and therefore tight and he was obviously driving a new car which hes not fully used to as it was an 04 plate.

I on the i other hand have been driving my car a year and now how to keep it on the boil and how fast i can take her.

I honestly reckon a well driven 172 would beast one but thats my opinion!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

I agree! Very very nice car overall! The only thing i dont like about Peugeots is ther horrible gearboxes! They really should sort them out!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I think the myth that 172s and 182s would thrash 16vs is based purely on power, if you think power to weight then it makes it alot more even than first thought.

Not that I would pass up the opportunity to own either a 172 or a 182.

But I dont feel terribly inferior in my car either!

So 1.8_16v_Clio - thats what I think!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 30 March 2004

I think the myth that 172s and 182s would thrash 16vs is based purely on power, if you think power to weight then it makes it alot more even than first thought.

Not that I would pass up the opportunity to own either a 172 or a 182.

But I dont feel terribly inferior in my car either!

So 1.8_16v_Clio - thats what I think!
Cant agree enough! I know that they are quicker but the gap isnt that big between the two cars on the road! It is more noticible on the 1/4 though!

If a well driven valver is taken against any of the stated with a poorer driver on the street the outcome could go either way!

Get a poor driver in the clio 16v though and they will simply wave goodbye!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I reckon a mildly tuned williams would give them bigger problems as well - IE it wont be a push over by a long shot.

GW Clio 200

The GTI 180 is a stunning looking car, but has not got that rawness and the *feel* of the high end Clios.

In the looks department I think its the winner out all all the hatches, but it cant live with the Cup/172/182 for drievabilty. I had one on order for like 5 months and Peugeot fukkered me about so much that I ended up going for a Clio Cup, Im glad I did as the Clio just seemed to scream along where the Peugout......purred!!!!

I do not think you will see many 182 vs 180 as there are not that many about of either as yet.....

Anyone fancy hosting a short 16v vs cup video ? The cup pulled 2 car lengths to 90 (yes he was trying) it was a traffic light grand prix

just to prove that cups/172s wont MULLER 16vs !!

I have drove the GTI 180 before but me and my mates went to look at one the weekend we all agreed that the dash looks poo (cheep and tackey) and its also poo to try and dive quickly. Both my mates agreed and they do know somethings about cars one has just ordered a new CTR and the others just sold is 172 for a 2001 EVO Vl. Not to bad when were all under 25.

'04 172, '03 Hirsch 9-5

I chose a 172 over a Pug 180. The pug was just - I dont exaclty know what. It just didnt feel like a natural hot hatch, it was trying too hard to be something it wasnt. it felt over tyred too, sure it could go when pushed but it just didnt feel as fluid as the 172.

Well thats my $37,000 worth

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 30 March 2004

trust me mate.he probably wasnt trying.it would piss all over your car.
Define piss all over? If were talking a few car lengths here or there, then fine. But if were talking about the sort of difference it sounds like youre thinking of then youd be wrong. Old does not equal slow!

My old 16V was a complete fire-breathing 172 chaser!

funny us lot say this cause just lastweek 2 guys in work testdrove a pug 180 and said there was summit about it not as powerfull as they thought and deffo not impressed they drive a pug 106 gti and a 2.0 16v 205 gti at the mo