ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vtec!!!

M135i, 118 coupe
hi guys thought id boot my 182 today as only had it 3 days so been gentle till now and as soon as it hits 5000 its just like a vtec,alot faster than i thought it would be!!!

Tesla MP3 2021
yeah its second cam kicking in isnt it...
i dont think mine is every below 5k apart from when im stopping;)

It's a common misconception that its the "2nd cam" kicking in. The VVT system doesnt actually change the cam profile, it changes the timing. It isnt as sophisticated as the Honda system. Also, it doesnt advance the timing at 5000rpm, it's something silly like 1500rpm. I think it's basically to do with idle emissions.

The 5k kick is actually where the engine reaches its breathing sweet spot, so it's purely to do with gas flow efficiency rather than any mechanical intervention. This is how I remember it being explained by one of the tech boffins on here anyway :eek:

Either way, it is very nice, but not quite Honda i-VTEC nice :evil:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
shaun_cliosport said:
ive heard once you hit the 5k kick thats when you get a smile on your face

You've heard?

Get out there and do it...that's what they're for...and a little spin round to the limiter (which is there to stop things turning ugly), even when new(ish) won't do it any harm whatsoever :evil:

I did with 300 miles on the clock, which was about 20 miles after delivery, and I've never looked back...I'm now on 61K, and it's a quick one :D

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
MarkCup said:
You've heard?

Get out there and do it...that's what they're for...and a little spin round to the limiter (which is there to stop things turning ugly), even when new(ish) won't do it any harm whatsoever :evil:

I did with 300 miles on the clock, which was about 20 miles after delivery, and I've never looked back...I'm now on 61K, and it's a quick one :D

Mark i don't think Shaun's got his 182 yet.

insignia
The 5 k kick is what its all about.If ive got 'new' passengers in my car,ill always give them the 5k kick. Usually just drop it into second get the revs to 4.5rpm and keep their for 10 seconds or so, Then just boot it into the limiter (for that n n noise). Guaranteed they will always start commenting on how fast the car is and start asking me questions saying they cant believe how quick it is.

Nissan 350Z
Roy Munson said:
The 5k kick is actually where the engine reaches its breathing sweet spot, so it's purely to do with gas flow efficiency rather than any mechanical intervention.

Surely though if this is the case, the changeover would be more linear / smoother and less sudden than it seems to be?

insignia
I understood that the 5k kick is from the car cumming on cam- this is due to the valve -that opens fully at 5k and gives the car full torque and power.the valve is variable so as soon as you drop to lower revs the valve closes down.

MKIII 138
get an rsport and love the 8000rpm kick.

btw my cup has NO kick at all ???? not even a little it pulls from really low revs to 7400 ? wonder if someone has slapped a silly superchip on it loads of torque though ?

Scirocco GT 210
meggerman said:
get an rsport and love the 8000rpm kick.

Loads of people keep mentioning this r-sport chip thingy, where the heck can you get one from? Or at least find out more about it.

R26
Roy Munson said:
It's a common misconception that its the "2nd cam" kicking in. The VVT system doesnt actually change the cam profile, it changes the timing. It isnt as sophisticated as the Honda system. Also, it doesnt advance the timing at 5000rpm, it's something silly like 1500rpm. I think it's basically to do with idle emissions.

The 5k kick is actually where the engine reaches its breathing sweet spot, so it's purely to do with gas flow efficiency rather than any mechanical intervention. This is how I remember it being explained by one of the tech boffins on here anyway :eek:

Either way, it is very nice, but not quite Honda i-VTEC nice :evil:

I wondered why it came alive at 5k!

Clio 172mk2
remove the accoustic valve , that stops the 5k kick wel makes it alot less noticable which i prefer

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
182 sport said:
I understood that the 5k kick is from the car cumming on cam- this is due to the valve -that opens fully at 5k and gives the car full torque and power.the valve is variable so as soon as you drop to lower revs the valve closes down.

The car comes on cam at 1500rpm

133/225/CLS AMG
I never thought much of the 5k kick you get from my 172 but its something I notice now I drive a Megane 225. Where the revs used to suddenly flick round to 6.5k rpm on my 172 the Megane pulls more consistently.

Its a nice feeling on the RS Clios! :D :D

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Is it a 2nd Cam coming in or is the original cam just changing speed?

AFAIK the 5k kick is nothing do do with cam timing, and it definitely isnt the "2nd cam" since VVT doesnt use a second profile like i-VTEC does. Where are the tech geeks?

cock mobile.
Danlp6 said:
thats the only reason its left that late, to give a kick. get an actuator and change it to 3krpm, this is proven to be the best place for the cam change over.

A K-Pro is on the list, but the list is already quite extensive! :evil:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
sh33n said:
A K-Pro is on the list, but the list is already quite extensive! :evil:

Will let you know how ricks goes after K-pro.

he got a Spoon B pipe and back box last week.

Running about 248Bhp. lol

Munday said:
Is it a 2nd Cam coming in or is the original cam just changing speed?
The VVt come on at 1.4k and disactivates at 6.5k its ensure the power does't drop off to much.
It only actiuvated though if the MAp is 800mbar or more (abut 75% throttle) and the oil temps over 60 or 65degrees.