ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 vtec!!!

cock mobile.
Ali said:
Will let you know how ricks goes after K-pro.

he got a Spoon B pipe and back box last week.

Running about 248Bhp. lol

Yer please do mate, I've heard it's the b0llocks!

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
Hello all,

This is my first post on CS, so go easy on me!

I am the proud new owner of 54 plate inferno orange 182 cup 29K miles. The car is immaculate and I love it to pieces!!

I happend accross this thread while trying to find out a little more about the VVT system used on the RS range. I am a Mechanical Design Engineer and have always enjoyed playing with engines, hence my interest.

I am still confused as to what the RS VVT actually does? I have read this thread thoughly, and have no doubt that the long termers like Edde and Polarbert know what they are on about. What is your knowledge based on? First hand experience?

However this very morning I was reading an article in this months EVO mag about the new 197 RS. Included in the article is a short interview with some tech dude at RS. In the interview he says that one of the changes between the 182 motor and the 197 motor is the VVT system; the 197 system is a continuoulsy variable cam timing system, while the 182 system is a two stage system which advances inlet timing by 11degs at 5500 rpm.:S

I am new to RS ownership, so can't offer an opinion at present, but I thought I would throw the info into the arena! I'm sure I'm not the only one to have read the article?

Regards
Dan

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
polarbert said:
No it isn't you muppet! The car comes on cam at 1500rpm.

How many f**king times?

erm nope it's the vvt that comes in at 1.5k ...the sweet spot for coming on cam is 5k iirc on the f4r...

BMW M4; S1000 RR
182 VTEC???

Oh deary me.

You guys know that VTEC engines don't have a power boost above 5k rpm, but a power defecit below 5k rpm. VTec is s**t for low to mid range power because it doesn't have any.

Most petrol cars make more power the higher rpm they're at, if they don't there's something wrong.

BTW, if you want a real kick, try a Porsche engine;), power from the off, all the way insane power, then comes 7k and it kicks hard that extra last time before you shift, very special cars.

tiTTy & SV650
dminett-smith said:
Hello all,

This is my first post on CS, so go easy on me!

I am the proud new owner of 54 plate inferno orange 182 cup 29K miles. The car is immaculate and I love it to pieces!!

I happend accross this thread while trying to find out a little more about the VVT system used on the RS range. I am a Mechanical Design Engineer and have always enjoyed playing with engines, hence my interest.

I am still confused as to what the RS VVT actually does? I have read this thread thoughly, and have no doubt that the long termers like Edde and Polarbert know what they are on about. What is your knowledge based on? First hand experience?

However this very morning I was reading an article in this months EVO mag about the new 197 RS. Included in the article is a short interview with some tech dude at RS. In the interview he says that one of the changes between the 182 motor and the 197 motor is the VVT system; the 197 system is a continuoulsy variable cam timing system, while the 182 system is a two stage system which advances inlet timing by 11degs at 5500 rpm.:S

I am new to RS ownership, so can't offer an opinion at present, but I thought I would throw the info into the arena! I'm sure I'm not the only one to have read the article?

Regards
Dan

alwight, I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer too!

Its just the sweet spot i.e. the cam profile hits a sweet spot at 5000rpm. vvt is purely for emissions as far as Im aware... at low revs / idle. But I've been told Im wrong before.

cliokhunt said:
182 VTEC???

Oh deary me.

You guys know that VTEC engines don't have a power boost above 5k rpm, but a power defecit below 5k rpm. VTec is sh*t for low to mid range power because it doesn't have any.

Most petrol cars make more power the higher rpm they're at, if they don't there's something wrong.

BTW, if you want a real kick, try a Porsche engine;), power from the off, all the way insane power, then comes 7k and it kicks hard that extra last time before you shift, very special cars.

LMFAO, you should be an engineer. I'm sure Honda could use your expert help. They have obviously got it all wrong so far.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Roy Munson said:
LMFAO, you should be an engineer. I'm sure Honda could use your expert help. They have obviously got it all wrong so far.

Ha I wouldn't stoop so low, NA Jap car owners never experience torque, V TAK is the reason, it's a pointless load of shite.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
C'Mon you blokes are Clio's are quick but Renault ain't in the same league as a Honda Vtec. Get yourself a go in an Integral 1.8 and feel that muvver fly.

Nissan 350Z
I admire the Honda engine for what it does / is... i.e. an engine with 100 bhp per litre and that can rev to 8000 rpm...

However, after having drove one the other day, I am left cold. I am not really sure it sounds as nice as I thought it would, not really better than the Clio for me, and the VTEC "kick" is certainly no more dramatic than the Clio 5k kick. I got to try it numerous times too, not just the once, so i know what its like by now.

The honda makes up for its torque deficit with low gearing + 6 gears.

I read somewhere the Clio's system is quite simple - it reaches 5k and theres like an on/off switch turned to the on position, quite abrupt... forgive my terminology i'm no engineer / mechanic, but its not a VVT engine like the Toyota Celica. Its far more simple & crude than that, but nevertheless, its also quite satisfying in its own way. Apparently the 197 is much more refined in that respect.

Nissan 350Z
JuanBoy said:
C'Mon you blokes are Clio's are quick but Renault ain't in the same league as a Honda Vtec. Get yourself a go in an Integral 1.8 and feel that muvver fly.

I disagree. Theres hardly any difference IMO between the Civic and Clio in performance. As for the integra, again, theres not a particularly big difference and the Clio is faster than some of the Integra R's...

the cars in stock trim might not be far apart, but the new K20A is a vastly superior engine.

Even the B20 out of the old CRV is vastly superior, especially when coupled as a hybrid of B16/18 Vtec head with B20 block.

Cylinder head design (and that level alone we are talking serious light years ahead), block design, weight, geometry, materials, intake, exhaust, ECU, I-Vtec strategy.............there is probably not one area, even down to a collet, where the F4R is better.

Nissan 350Z
Fair enough, but the outcome is pretty similar anyway. The 150 kg lighter weight goes a long way to help the clios cause....

FWIW i found the honda engine pretty soul-less despite its rev happy nature - and that goes for the rest of the car too... but each to their own ;)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
get turbocharged! love the sound of the turb spinning up! power comes alot earlyer!3500rpm 2nd! 0-60! 5sec!

certainly, in stock trim there are things that limit the capabilities of a road going vehicle. Most 2ltr engines are capable of an easy 250bhp, but you just wont see that.

But there is a reason why the K20 is used 200 times over for racing.

And to put things in perspective, the K20A cylinder head, at the moment with only a few years of flow development, is flowing NASCAR levels of CFM, renault is nowhere near....not even close.

Oh, and a stock K20A can be remapped to pickup absolutely stupid levels of power, in the order of circa 20-25bhp mid range, and swell over the 200bhp with minimal modifications in quite the fashion.

I love my renaults, but boy those honda engines are something else.

cock mobile.
cliokhunt said:
Ha I wouldn't stoop so low, NA Jap car owners never experience torque, V TAK is the reason, it's a pointless load of sh*te.

:dead:

I can keep my car out of what you call "V TAK" all the way to work and back, in the Clio I'd be seeing over 5k most of the way there.

The S2000 engine is pure sex. 240Bhp from an NA 2.0 and a 9000rpm redline. Only a shoolboy with a hardon for dump valves wouldnt apprectaite that in a warranty production engine.

Drive an S2000 with the hood down at 9000rpm and tell me VTEC is shite.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
lol someone has been on streetfire too long..... once vtak kicks in it's all over!!!

cock mobile.
Roy Munson said:
The S2000 engine is pure sex. 240Bhp from an NA 2.0 and a 9000rpm redline. Only a shoolboy with a hardon for dump valves wouldnt apprectaite that in a warranty production engine.

Drive an S2000 with the hood down at 9000rpm and tell me VTEC is sh*te.

The engine on the S2000 uses a different sort of VTEC to the K20 series engines, but yer, you have a damn good point :)