ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 wheel and disc loose

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Hi all, I've just last week had new discs and pads all round. Today I've nipped out and heard a noise from the rear of the car and drove home as I was less than a mile away and noticed the passenger side rear was smoking and red hot to the touch.

I jacked the rear up thinking the pads were binding but the whole wheel and disc are loose.

I'm useless with cars, has anyone any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Sounds like a collapsed bearing.

Good chance it’s taken the stub axle with it.

Has the hub nut come loose?

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
I'm no sure about the hub not. To check is it just a matter of taking the cap off the end and checking?

Here's a video to show

monaco 172
Another reason I don't use garages lol.

Take the wheel and hub nut off and see if the spacer which should sit behind the bearing is missing and check if the bearing has fell to bits.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
I drove over a slight dip in the road and it made a knock noise, I got out and noticed it was smoking and red hot and drove it back slow as I was close to home.

It could be the washers as the chap who did it couldn't get hold of any as I think he chucked the others with the old discs. He bought a pair I believe from ebay but he gave me one back. So he either forgot to put one on or used the old one. I'll have a go tomorrow to see.

I hope it hasn't damaged the stub axle as I had to have the drivers side replaced as the bearing was welded on.

Thanks guys I'll have a look tomorrow. What size socket is the hub nut?

Last edited:
30mm for the hub but.

Fair enough if you’ve lost confidence in them, but a part that you’ve paid a garage several hundred quid to supply & fit has failed only a few days/miles after collecting the car so it seems like a textbook case of not touching anything further and returning the car to them ASAP with the expectation that they rectify at zero cost to yourself.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Just coming back to this. I've just checked the hub nut and it was loose and right on the end of the threads. I didn't realise this until I took the cap off and got hold of a 30mm bit

Here's a pic to show how far I've wound it on the threads does this look about right or do you think it's missing the spacer?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200628_131246.jpg
    20200628_131246.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just coming back to this. I've just checked the hub nut and it was loose and right on the end of the threads. I didn't realise this until I took the cap off and got hold of a 30mm bit

Here's a pic to show how far I've wound it on the threads does this look about right or do you think it's missing the spacer?

Thanks
Just whip the disk off and check for the spacer. You're already 99% there

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Yeah it's alot further in than yours. For the life of me couldn't get the caliper off and managed to brake my ratchet trying so I've given up. Now I can drive it though I'm taking it back tomorrow for the garage to sort it.

It seems to drive OK but I've noticed when taking bends and theirs weight on the wheel it's grinding a bit.