ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Xenon Headlights failed

S

Special K

Hi everyone,

I've had a search but cant seem to find a thread that fits my problem.

Basically got im my car just now and both xenon headlights have stopped working, side lights work fine though just the xenon bits have stopped working. I've checked the fuses and they're fine. I'm gonna check the bulbs tomorrow but isn't it pretty unlikely that both would go at the same time?

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a more serious electrical problem?

Thanks muchly,
Kieran

S

Special K

CHecked the bulbs... they're fine.

So booked it in for a check up next Thursday. This is going to be expensive :(

Tin Can with wheels
weird that both have gone at the same time... if it was just one I would have said its most likely to be the ballast pack.. they cost something like £170 from Renault... or you might be very unlucky and both have gone.

S

Special K

Thanks spoonie i'll check JMS out.

Well i hope its the relay rather than the ballast pack @ £170. Anyone know which relay it is and how to test it?

And i'll tell you what those bulbs are a b**tard to remove! No room under the bonnet!

Cheers

S

Special K

Just spoke to JMS and they're gonna squeeze it in on Saturday so i'll keep you lot posted. He sounded as stumped as us over the phone. Fingers crossed.

S

Special K

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Right this problem has the simplest solution ever!! You were on the right track xr2racer talking about relays.

Trying to arrange lifts because i couldn't drive at night i spoke to the drummer in my band and he has a Clio dci and he had the same problem last year, he solved it by re-fitting a loose relay in the passenger footwell. So i dashed out with a torch and was a bit dissapointed when none of the relays were loose but jiggled them around anyway, tried the lights... no luck. However, as i was flicking the switch i noticed the dipped beam light on the dasboard was flickering for a split second as i turned the switch (it wasn't before). So i removed the relay nearest the drivers side (theres a line of about 6 i think) cleaned the contacts with my finger and replaced it... Success!! Was just a bad contact it seems.

It appears that the far right relay is responsible for the dipped beams as they don't work when it's removed. It can be easily kicked by a front seat passenger so could easily happen to all of us 172/182 owners.

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

All the best
Kieran :D

This has started happening to me but its my driver xenon not working and the light on the dashboard doesnt show but kept flickering on when i changed the fuse, where exactly is the relay i need to look at ???

43920861.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
This has started happening to me but its my driver xenon not working and the light on the dashboard doesnt show but kept flickering on when i changed the fuse, where exactly is the relay i need to look at ???
Let me know if it is the ballast as I have 2 for sale.