ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182's... the crappest car to drive in snow?!

Clio 182 FF Cup
Defo the car; I had to get to Darwen from Preston this morning and the moment it approached snow/sleet on the roads it was fully naff.

Think its a combination of a light car, wide tyres with a tread pattern more suited to dry/wet, powerful engine, low first gearing and a snatchy clutch.

The traction control just gets in the way on snow and the ABS takes the piss.

Nice reversing idea Leeshez.

Iceberg 172
Think its a combination of a light car, wide tyres with a tread pattern more suited to dry/wet, powerful engine, low first gearing and a snatchy clutch.

In a nutshell.

Plus, female driver :quiet:

Nimbus Megane R26
iv gotta go upto newcaste 2mrw lunchtime to a mates house near county durham. much snow on the a1/m1 above leeds anybody know??

clio 182 black /gold
Defo the car; I had to get to Darwen from Preston this morning and the moment it approached snow/sleet on the roads it was fully naff.

Nice reversing idea Leeshez.
I have just come back from Whitehall. It was bad up there. Thick slush. Yes the reversing is a great idea. Feel free to use it :)./

BMW E92/Audi S3
yesterday i couldn't get to uni because my car just wouldn't move in the snow (apart from sideways!) and then today i tried to park the car on the drive (slight slope) and had to give up after flooring it in 1st just made the tyres spin and got me nowhere even though my dad's fiesta managed to get up the drive no problem. is it the tyres or something?! excuse my blonde-ness in asking this but i'm a girl, therefore i'm allowed ;)

Enough said^

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed, I'd rather be in a 182 than the Capri in this weather, it's scary. 13x7 alloys, rwd and a high idle. I'm still not entirely sure why I didn't leave it at home and take the Land Rover.

Interestingly the 205/45/16's on the Megane got me happily up a snow-covered hill. Five minutes later I struggled to get my g/'s sister's Rover 25 up the hill with 185/55/15's yet both cars are a similar weight. I was always told that thinner tyres bite deeper and gain more traction but I'm just confused now!

Me too! My PGGT rolling on bat-fastard 17's was a proper snow-machine compared to the 182. Unless I hoofed it and got to the boost zone. :cool:

D.

1998 BMW e46 323i
The worst car to drive in snow is the Mk II Vauxhall Cavalier, closely followed by my old automatic Mk IV Ford Cortina.

1*2s aren't the best in snow, but far from the crappest

Clio 172 mk2
Never driven my 172 in the snow but I can imagine the wide tyres and light back end being a bit of a problem.

I imagine an LSD helps a lot with traction on compacted snow. With a normal diff, it only takes one wheel to start spinning and then basically all drive is lost. All the ESP/TC can do is kill power in a failed attempt to stop that wheel spinning.

Slightly off-topic perhaps but just sprung to me :)

Clio 182 FF Cup
I imagine an LSD helps a lot with traction on compacted snow. With a normal diff, it only takes one wheel to start spinning and then basically all drive is lost. All the ESP/TC can do is kill power in a failed attempt to stop that wheel spinning.

Slightly off-topic perhaps but just sprung to me :)

Actually the Tractions Control is a little better than you give it credit for, it applies the brake to the spinning wheel (im guessing by using the ABS circuit?) and that kind of acts like a LSD, its fairly abrupt and not exactly smooth as you would like on snow, but thats what its doing. I think if you really floor it then it has the authority to reduce fueling thus power directly.