ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182T or megane 225

Elise/VX220/R26
EVOgone said:
Do you know Omar, have you driven with him ? NO NO

Does he do load of motorway milage, hence high tyre life?? YES

Hence "Stop taling bollox, about things you know nothing about" Speculation.

So using your rational "I got 2k from my tyres so im a real driver" Most of its on B&Q carpark, look in Fastcar mag. Im the man.

Oms comment are very relavent and credible.

On the Renault trackdays where you can drive all the cars the the Cup/Trophy were the fastest round the track. But thats not the important think it whats best for you, not one is better than the other.

Regards to the seperate comments made at the begining of the thread that the Megan was as fast as the P911. Again what a load of bollox.

Frightening.......

Ooooooh I've updset a little clique here have I? lol

Right Lets get things strainghtened out. I'm not glorifying getting 6k from 225 tyres thats simply the going rate, my current set might just do 8 by the time I change them. My girlfreind drives the car during the week and never takes the car over 3000 rpm, I only drive the car at weekends and do very little milage in it so its not been thrashed around B&Q car parks. Thats more a clio owners area than a 225 owners wouldnt you say?

As I've already said I wasnt having a go but people always refer to Omars car when the 225 is mentioned. The fact of the matter is that plain and simple physics dictate that a 225 with 16k done on one single set of tyres has never been driven to even 50% of its potential its that simple. I stongly disagree that Omars comments are credible as its just not the experience of every other 225 owner there is. All I'm really saying is if you want proper advice about the megane 225 dont waste your time on here get onto meganesport.net people will give you an honest opinion and at the end of the day most of us have proper experience of the RS clio and megane and can be a bit more subjective about it.

As for the 225 being as quick as a 911, believe it! I've seen a trophy on the road attached to a carrera 2's bumper with nothing in it. the 225 is a belter of a car, I thinks its a bit sad that it gets more critisism from fellow renaultsport owners than any other corner.

jonnyboy said:
As I've already said I wasnt having a go but people always refer to Omars car when the 225 is mentioned. The fact of the matter is that plain and simple physics dictate that a 225 with 16k done on one single set of tyres has never been driven to even 50% of its potential its that simple. I stongly disagree that Omars comments are credible as its just not the experience of every other 225 owner there is.

As for the 225 being as quick as a 911, believe it! I've seen a trophy on the road attached to a carrera 2's bumper with nothing in it. the 225 is a belter of a car, I thinks its a bit sad that it gets more critisism from fellow renaultsport owners than any other corner.
Omars a good driver, his tires were worn out and so what you don't need to wear through 10 sets of tyres to know a cars handling.
As regards the 225 being 911 quick it just isn't different drivers/road knowedge /bravery to push it makes a huge difference. I've overtaken a TVR a 525 BMW a 911 Porche and a Suburu on a race track. Why because I knew the road better and would push the car futher.

Clio 197
C'mon... let's get realistic:

On meganesport.net everyone will say how wonderful the the 225 is.
And yes, it has advantages of a larger, more powerful car.

On cliosport.net everyone will say how wonderful the 182/172 is.
And yes, it has advantages of a smaller, more agile car.

What about the non-biased opinions then??

As far as magazine articles are concerned, it is very clear that the original 225 is neither a good handler, nor a driver's car.

IMO, the original 225 is like a powerful family saloon - ie: not hot hatch.

Renault released the cup pack (alltogether different steering/brakes/suspension/geometry/tyres) to address this.

The cupped 225 IMO felt much better @ brands, but as soon as I got back into my 182 it was clear which handled better round the indy circuit.

Despite Cup pack, the 225 still fails to become a favourite in the motor-press.

Now, why do the very same magazines rate the 182 so highly then? Maybe it IS good?

Elise/VX220/R26
The 225 is never going to outhandle a 182, but that said the 225 is not exactly a slouch or a bad handling car. I disagree that the 225s handling is not "good" for example its better than say a golf TDI, just beacuse its not as good as a 182 doesnt make it bad. To say the megane 225 is not a hot hatch is just utterly ridiculous. Its just sheer elitism just because the 182 gets a good press, the actual real world difference between a 182 and a 225 in any road or track situation could still be swung by the driver. At the end of the day they are not worlds apart in terms of handling.

Its back to my original point I was trying to make. I cannot be arsed with yet another boring cliosport thread arguing the toss about the tiniest differences between cars. My point was that to get a better more balanced opinion of the 225 they should look further than "Omar got rid of his and he says they dont corner" I and I'm pretty sure all the other 225 owners I know of (and we have over 400 members on meganesport) would disagree that the 225 is not a seriously capable hot hatch. I dont see droves of people selling their 225s and going back to clios. And if you actually read anything of what I've said I have never and would never **** off an RS clio. They are fantastic cars. Thats part of the trouble though as because they are so good people tend to get this blinkered view that theres nothing better and well, depending on your requirements for a car there is!

Also if the megane 225 is supposedly so bad, why did it take you 20k to make your mind up? The way you talk about it you would think you would have found out how awful the car was on your test drive.....maybe we aint getting the full story on why you changed your car?

Last edited:
  Clio 197
jonnyboy said:
maybe we aint getting the full story on why you changed your car?

You may remember my post when I was going to sell the 225? Not surprisingly, nobody bought it.

I was never happy with it - full stop.

Why pay £400 per month for something I'm not happy with?

I did a straght swap: Brand new 182 for my used 225.

I still pay my £400 per month, but now I actually get to enjoy the benefits of a driver's car.

I have openly said that I no longer have the long-distance comfort, or power @ motorway speed - but I don't regret that sacrifice.

You just can't understand why some people simply don't like the original 225 - that's your problem, not mine.

I have said on numerous occasions that the Cupped version IS better... but you're slectively not taking that into consideration... do we wish we'd bought something else perhaps??

I'm more than entitled to my opinion on a car I owned and did 20,000 miles in.

If you don't like it, tough.

Your 225 and my 182 are totally different cars, intended for a totally different purpose...

Oh, btw a golf TDi isn't a hot hatch... LMAO!

:S

Love,

Oms.

PS: So, Johnnyboy... where's the conspiracy you're talking about?

RenaultSport clio
Jonnyboy need to stay on his own little forum and stop banging on about how good the 225 is (as long as its a Cup, Trophy or Cup pack if its a normal one like his its a P.O.S)

Elise/VX220/R26
omar said:
Oh, btw a golf TDi isn't a hot hatch... LMAO!

never said it was, I picked a random car as a benchmark to demonstrate that the 225 is still very capable compared to a "normal" car

I havent convenientley forgotten anything about you saying a cupped version is better of course it is! My simple point which I will come back to again and try and explain in more simple terms is that there is Omars opinion who is one owner and then you will find many many more people who will give you a far more objective view.

Like I say if it really was that bad you wouldn't do 20k in the thing before swapping it and loosing an absolute bucket of money on it (assuming if yours was one of the first you paid 20 grand for it)

Anway thats the last I'm saying seeing as I'm "banging on" anyones free to come over to meganesport for a chat any time. You'll find you will get a much nicer welcome than you do on here.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
People who drive clios's think their car is great.

People who drive meganes think their car is great.

End of story.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
jonnyboy said:
Ooooooh I've updset a little clique here have I? lol

Right Lets get things strainghtened out. I'm not glorifying getting 6k from 225 tyres thats simply the going rate, my current set might just do 8 by the time I change them. My girlfreind drives the car during the week and never takes the car over 3000 rpm, I only drive the car at weekends and do very little milage in it so its not been thrashed around B&Q car parks. Thats more a clio owners area than a 225 owners wouldnt you say?

As I've already said I wasnt having a go but people always refer to Omars car when the 225 is mentioned. The fact of the matter is that plain and simple physics dictate that a 225 with 16k done on one single set of tyres has never been driven to even 50% of its potential its that simple. I stongly disagree that Omars comments are credible as its just not the experience of every other 225 owner there is. All I'm really saying is if you want proper advice about the megane 225 dont waste your time on here get onto meganesport.net people will give you an honest opinion and at the end of the day most of us have proper experience of the RS clio and megane and can be a bit more subjective about it.

911 thing really made me laugh.....You really have no idea............

If you criticise an individual then yes you are going to get a reaction, maybe thats what you want who knows. So why do you feel its a suprise that you get some stick.

Clio 197
James said:
Jonnyboy need to stay on his own little forum and stop banging on about how good the 225 is (as long as its a Cup, Trophy or Cup pack if its a normal one like his its a P.O.S)

That's not what this forum is about really...

He's as welcome on here as anyone else (even though we agree to disagree about a certain Megane225).

:cool:

PS 7 posts... telling people to b*gger off already?! ;) :p

Monaro VXR
bottom of the range 911 does 0-60 in 5.5seconds the 225 cup does it in 6.5 and 0-100 on the porsche is a little over 10 seconds. The top of the range version takes the 0-60 time sub 5 seconds.

Im sorry i just dont see the renault keeping up if the porsche really was going for it the cars are in 2 diffrent leagues performance wise. And a 1 or 2 seconds difference might not seem a lot but that a fair few car lengths difference.

Im not saying the 225 is slow its just not 911 quick.

astra break
I'm looking to order the 225 soon. Here are my reasons, the pro's and the con's

I love my 182. It's a sporty car, and I goes around corners then no other car does, I think everybody agree this.

I testdrove a meg full fat. The power delivery is total different. It's just another class then the clio. Initially there shouldn't be a comparison. If you want a fast car to have fun with AND don't want to spend a lot of cash, you buy the clio.

My reason for swapping the 182 with the meg is that I want a bigger, more comfortable car as I will be doing around 25000 miles a year on the motorway most of the time.

If I had the money I would keep the 182 for the weekends and in my spare time to have a great time in a great car.

The Megane is a great looking car with a great engine.

As I said, If I could I would keep them both.

Monaro VXR
I know this might seem daft but wouldnt it be better if your doing such high mileage to maybe shock horror cant believe im gonna say it...get a diesel? :(

And keep the clio for weekends?

Clio 197
^^

Unfortunately, unless the revs are kept below 2k, the car will drink and drink and drink.

Real life figs for the 225 are worse than on paper... I'd say about 5-8MPG difference compared to the clio (if being sensible that is!).

I diesel version would be a fab idea actually... and I'd have one actually!!

Monaro VXR
Think best thing i have done so far on my new car is got a reported 7mpg this is out of a 1.6 admittedly i was driving it rather hard but this is a 1.6 for gods sake giving me 7mpg but driving sensibly im still yet to get over 30mpg in 1600 miles.

But i mean like a second car but a disel keep running costs down if your just gonna sit on on the motorway your not gonna be that arsed if it cnan accelrate away and plus diesels generally are better daily driving cars sad but true. I have only driven 1 diesel though was a 1.5 dci think it was the 80 version wasnt a fan to be honest.

astra break
wozzaa said:
I know this might seem daft but wouldnt it be better if your doing such high mileage to maybe shock horror cant believe im gonna say it...get a diesel? :(

And keep the clio for weekends?

very good point, but I have a company fuel card so I don't give a ****

Monaro VXR
Thats fair enough....buy something faster instead then lol....skyline :) what im seriously thinking of for my next car will actually be able to insure one then.

Although wasnt much more to insure than a 182...which i found odd. And less to insure for me than a V6 now.

Elise/VX220/R26
EVOgone said:
911 thing really made me laugh.....You really have no idea............

If you criticise an individual then yes you are going to get a reaction, maybe thats what you want who knows. So why do you feel its a suprise that you get some stick.

I'm not giving anyone stick?? People cliques have been upset because I'm telling it like it is thats all. I havent said anything thats either not true or valid. That includes having witnessed a carrera 2 unable to shake off a megane 225 trophy. Its just what I saw. You can make all the condescending comments you like thats what happened. All I am doing is presenting another side to the debate thats all.

For those still keeping the topic civil and marginally on topic there are rumours of a diesel engined megane sport coming out probably next year. Theres a also an F1 version of the 225 on the way with racing blue paint, 182 trophy style seats and (I thinkl)further chassis changes, so if you dont like the 225 now chances are you will get turned over to the darkside eventually! ;)