ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182to a Trophy - Is it worth it

How many people have swapped their full fat 182 for a Trophy?

Is it worth it as I guess trade in for a <12month old 182 cant be much more than 10k if you push and the Trophy seems to be 13.5k ish.

I know it has better seats / suspension but think of the mods you could do & still save a big lump of cash! Would you miss the 1/2 leather making do with the bench in the Trophy, would you miss the HIDs etc?

My 182 is 9 months old & I dont think that I can justify the cash to change.

Simon

[Edited by simonr on 28 June 2005 at 4:23pm]

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Sell your 182 private.Buy a shed for £500 and keep it for 6-9months and then use your savings and buy the trophy.Save you a lot of money in the end

ian

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I personally dont see the point unless, you want exclusivity or youre a trackday person....... or both.

Coming from another make and model of car to the 182 Trophy - fine, but to go from a 182 to a Trophy wouldnt be worth it in my book. I think it was Lee who said that it laps approx a second quicker than the 182 Cup which is great, but not really worth the full-blown exchange as far as I can see.

Thats just my opinion though! Going from a 182 to a Vee is a complete different kettle of fish and I can certainly see the incentive to do that! ;)

D.

Lee

BMW M2C

Im pretty sure most people on here know my reasons for getting one.

Its the Clio Ive always wanted in terms of spec, looks and handling.

Because I get my cars with a F & F discount I was going to swap my 182 at 12 months old for a new one, the swap costs me next to nothing and gets me another almost free years motoring. Bearing in mind I did almost 19k in my 182 and numerous track days. Swapping to the Trophy has cost me due to its higher cost and lower discount, but I got the car I really wanted, which is what matters.

Plus its not every day I get to own 007. lol

People with 182s less than 12 months old would be burning money, but if they really want the car and can afford to they should go for it. If thats the car they want.

The Jinx

Quote: Originally posted by Darren S on 28 June 2005
I think it was Lee who said that it laps approx a second quicker than the 182 Cup which is great, D.

Round where and driven by whom?

The Jinx

Cant be arsed watching it. I assume they drove both cars on the same day with the same driver and averaged their times to make that claim?

MINI JCW

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 28 June 2005

Cant be arsed watching it. I assume they drove both cars on the same day with the same driver and averaged their times to make that claim?

i wouldnt have thought so, sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.

Elise/VX220/R26

I think youd have to be clinically insane to swap a 182 for,erm a red 182 with a cheap "trophy" sticker on the sill lol

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 28 June 2005
I think youd have to be clinically insane to swap a 182 for,erm a red 182 with a cheap "trophy" sticker on the sill lol

my thoughts exactly about moving from a fast and great handling clio to a big old boat (yes thats a megane).

If you know nothing about the car and what it offers, dont bother to comment please.

Elise/VX220/R26

Obviously you havent driven one then so how do you know its a boat? If you know nothing about the megane and what it offers, dont bother to comment please.

t**ser

Quote: Originally posted by gazcaddy on 28 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 28 June 2005

i wouldnt have thought so, sounds like a marketing gimmick to me.
Yes. Same driver, same day, same track - Pont lEveque in north west France. Very tight circuit, all 2nd gear bends, some straights momentarily into 3rd

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 28 June 2005
Obviously you havent driven one then so how do you know its a boat? If you know nothing about the megane and what it offers, dont bother to comment please.

t**ser

Dave actually drove the Megane Trophy on track as did a few of us.

Personally I was really impressed. Cracking car, other than the fact it was a bit too quiet and I kept hitting the rev limiter, and the light steering, it was a great fun for a larger car.

I suppose comments like this are to be expected about the Clio Trophy, the Cup got the same from those who hadnt drive one and realised for themselves how much better it was than a 172. From the driving seat the Cup and Trophy feel a lot more alike than any of the other Clios. The Trophy feels a lot stiffer than the Cup. It also has that same nice feel when a quick change of direction is needed, something the 172 and 182 lacked a little. One thing I noticed tonight is that you can corner the Trophy a hell of a lot harder than any other Clio Ive driven before it starts to squeal. It also powers out of corners without spinning up the inside front so easily.

As Jeremy has pointed out a few times, various guys from Evo, Autocar etc, and Jean Ragnoti himself were involved in the setup of the car. Its a bit more than a red Clio with stickers. Try one and youll know what Im talking about. If however you dont drive hard or on track from time to time then theres not really much point getting one, the 172/172Cup 182/182Cup are still massively capable, fun and fast cars.

Elise/VX220/R26

well at least your actually having an adult discussion about it Lee hats off to you for that. Its horses for courses, after having a 172 with aftermarket exhaust and decat the quietness of the 225 was a plus for me, at the end of the day the 225 is aimed a a completely different market to the 182 and I dont doubt for a second that on track its a superior tool. But to live with, well put it this way I can guarantee I will keep the 225 longer than the 2 years I had the 172 its just such a complete car.

I always have doubts about the model upgrades renault do, they are masters of marketing as we all know and things like the trophy and cup oprions are only available in the uk. If the original versions are that bad why arent these options more widely available? Also the fact that the cup option only costs £200 more on a 182 really set alarm bells ringing. Can it be that different for an extra £200?? The trophy is a roll out model with basically no visible changes. The marketing of a roll out model thats essentially the same as the previous car does leave you wondering how creative the marketing bods need to be to shift those last 500 units.

I understand in your case you get big discounts so you can easily change your car, but if you have a 182 your looking at about 3-4 grand including depreciation to swap. Im just playing Devils Advocate with my comments really.....

^^the mans right in a way, they are shifting cars, but is that not there business ??
ps i dont think renault special editions are bad, in fact they are all good on the a72/ 182s, its just a shame they dont release them all from the start so we get a choice, instead of drip feeding us, and leaving us feeling shafted

Elise/VX220/R26

megane trophy anyone lol now a megane trophy is what happens when they really fettle a car, look at all the fuss that was made over that coming out

Lee

BMW M2C

Ive not driven a Normal 225, but as I said, the Trophy version was very impressive. For the money you get one hell of a car, and personally I really love the way it looks. That dam arse grew on me in the end!

I can see exactly where you are coming from mate. I was convinced the 172 Cup was nothing more than some creative marketing, but it was a better car to drive than the 172. Provided of course thats where your emphasis lies. Some people bought the Cup as it was cheaper, others for the drive, some got 172s because it had the spec of a luxury car.

On face value the Trophy looks like the same thing, in fact it looks more like a parts bin special due to it being end of line and having what appear to be the same wheels that were on the Cup and V6 spoiler. I think there are 2 reasons why the Trophy wasnt done earlier and isnt being made in large numbers. Firstly, look how they have made improvements to the chassis and handling of the car during its life, its only really now they know exactly what to do to get the most out of it. But the main reason is as with all cars like this they are compromised some more obviously than others. The Trophy is without a shadow of doubt the hardest road car I have ever owned or driven in standard trim, except maybe an Elise. To most people that wouldnt appeal. The majority of buyers wouldnt want to pay a higher price for a car which looks, in the brochure, to be a lower spec(no xenons, climate, autowipers or leather rear seats), when in reality its that the cars primary focus has been shifted to the driving experience and edged closer to track.

The visible changes are minimum but under the surface a lot has gone on and its noticable in the driving experience. The real reason it exists and costs so much:http://www.leemather.plus.com/cliosport/Oulton190605/oulton_08.htmlSachs racing dampers

Plus if it helps them clear out some of the old shells as production slows then its a bonus.

Hope that makes sense, it does in my head anyway. :)

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 28 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by 182_blue on 28 June 2005

if i didnt hate renaults so much (lol) i would of gone from a 182 to a trophy
u still here?! clio basher!!!!
er, and you are , you pissed coz you think the 182 is the bees knees, when its actually a cheap hatch, that is built to a shoddy standard, and the customer service suck ssh*t , if not what is your problem :p

tiTTy & SV650

if i didnt hate renaults so much (lol) i would of gone from a 182 to a trophy
u still here?! clio basher!!!!
er, and you are
taking the piss cause i always see you having a dig. you edited ur post... I enjoy mine amnt bothered at all.

[Edited by rory182 on 28 June 2005 at 9:46pm]

How easily, and more importantly how cheaply, can a 182/Cup be upgraded to the Trophy front end? As I understand it they share the same core (Cup) setup, so Im guessing its 2x springs and 2x dampers?

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 28 June 2005
How easily, and more importantly how cheaply, can a 182/Cup be upgraded to the Trophy front end? As I understand it they share the same core (Cup) setup, so Im guessing its 2x springs and 2x dampers?

I think the only problem would be the cost of the dampers. Might be interesting to find out how much they cost? Renault say 10x the price of the standard setup, and Tom reckons they are around £6k from Sachs for the adjustable ones, the Trophy ones are fixed.

taking the piss cause i always see you having a dig. you edited ur post... I enjoy mine amnt bothered at all.

its called freedom of speech, i pay my dues like you, so i can say whatever i like

tiTTy & SV650

its called freedom of speech, i pay my dues like you, so i can say whatever i like
i was joking.... no need to be so defensive

i was joking.... no need to be so defensive

er not being defensive, in fact if i remember correctly you started all this !! AGAIN !!! :p

ps leave it now eh

tiTTy & SV650

i didnt mean to go so off topic.

I wouldnt change for a trophy, trophy does sound impressive but for day to day i like my cars toys and id be quite happy with the 182 on coilovers with new wheels and a H&S exhaust. :D