ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197/200 or Cooper S (and a little part of me says VXR)

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Over reading rollers FTW!

someone earlier stated that a cam,injectors, intercooler, exhaust and map for 250'ish.

Your claiming 280 from and intercooler and map?

Glad you've named them, so people know to stay away.

Tangoed Works
Over reading rollers FTW!

someone earlier stated that a cam,injectors, intercooler, exhaust and map for 250'ish.

Your claiming 280 from and intercooler and map?

Glad you've named them, so people know to stay away.

the cam injectors etc is for the R53 supercharged version

the remap is for the R56 turbo version

have a look over on mini torque mate. no need to talk balls on bhp as im more about ££ per smile. There are plenty of graphs most done on a mustang dyno or dyno dynamics. if you have a look at evolve, they also do supercharger conversions for E92 M3 etc.

My stock 210 works with a itg replacement filter and 4-1 equal length manifold made 186 WHP 2 weeks ago. If you add back tranny losses it equates to 218 hp. The cam injectors etc is for the supercharged version. that car has much more character than the turbo one imo. although both are a hoot. All I'm going for next is a remap as most people gain 15-20 whp but much more torque low down, much better fuel consumption and throttle response.

Have spent a lot of time trying to get handling spot on and it is now there. only bonus to the lighter wallet is that i know a bit about suspension tuning now... oh and mega fun on the twisties! Drivability is key. not a fan of 300 hp astras and the like, straight lines are boring.

ST
P Torque actually. Evolve regularly get JCW Turbo models up to 280 bhp and 300 lb ft with an intercooler and map. These start life at 218 bhp. Always worth doing research rather than wallowing in ignorance.

Mini does handle well out of the box but a clio rs it definately isnt. the problem arises as doing coilovers opens a can of worms. lowering it ruins the handling unless you get shorter droplinks and ball joint spacers for the front. another £250 on top of the 700 odd for half decent coils. then there is the fitting. changing out for normal tyres when the runflats go is a really good shout. saves weight and gives better drivability.

as said if you cannot be arsed get a clio rs. i still get nostalgic over my 182 but even 4 years ago it was starting to feel s**te after i had it for 3 years. not built to last. my mini has 1 squeak and one rattle now at 90k due to a new manifold and full poly bushing.

We used to chat regularly when I first got my works Jay, I'm just a little sceptical at 60bhp from a map.

Tangoed Works
Yeah I remember buddy, didnt mean to offend! Apologies if it came across a little harsh. Hope your doing well!

Tangoed Works
Yeah I remember buddy, didnt mean to offend! Apologies if it came across a little harsh. Hope your doing well!

Yeah 60 hp is a lot, but lots of tuners are getting it. Ive driven numerous 56's but prefer the old school feel of the 53. the 56 drives like a premature ejaculation, shoots its load quickly and then all over by 4k rpm.

RB Clio 182
The corsa 1.6t sri is exactly the same engine as the corsa vxr, the only diffrence is its de-tuned.

A corsa vxr remaps in the regions of 215-230bhp, so does the corsa 1.6t sri with the same map, this means the corsa sri 1.6t gains on average around 65-80bhp from a remap alone as the sri's are only 150bhp standard.

My vxr was rr'd before my map at 191bhp standard and 228 bhp after on the same rollers, on the same day etc.

So for around £400 the corsa sri 1.6t owners gain alot of bhp per ££.

SQ5
The corsa 1.6t sri is exactly the same engine as the corsa vxr, the only diffrence is its de-tuned.

A corsa vxr remaps in the regions of 215-230bhp, so does the corsa 1.6t sri with the same map, this means the corsa sri 1.6t gains on average around 65-80bhp from a remap alone as the sri's are only 150bhp standard.

My vxr was rr'd before my map at 191bhp standard and 228 bhp after on the same rollers, on the same day etc.

So for around £400 the corsa sri 1.6t owners gain alot of bhp per ££.

I think your figures may of been fiddled lol!

Ours is 201bhp, you'd be needing filter, down pipe, possibly a decat for those figures!

RB Clio 182
I think your figures may of been fiddled lol!

Ours is 201bhp, you'd be needing filter, down pipe, possibly a decat for those figures!

I had a panel filter forgot to mention that. 201 with a remap sounds poor mate but its not all about figures, its more how the car drives.

Where you get that mapped?

I also had it rr'd at a couple of places after and it was always around the same figures.

Tangoed Works
65-80bhp from a re-map alone.

Was the rolling road pointing down hill with the wind behind it?

You do know that 135i are around 300 bhp stock and can be put up to 400 hp with just a map. New age engines are majorly detuned as they are so efficient for fuel economy. If they left the factory at this level they wouldn't be suitable for all markets due to temperature variations, fuel quality etc.

Tangoed Works
Pointless arguing. Best off taking it up with evolve who do this for a living.

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/tuning-packages_906/stage-6-260-bhp_912/

Map exhaust and intercooler + 80hp

this is for a S not a JCW S. the jcw as follows with map only almost 50hp

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/cooper-s-jcw_903/ecu-remap_913/

135i 380 hp on map. Simple exhaust frees up the rest

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/1-series-ecu-remap_778/135i-n54_859/

other guys have had the cars dynoed at amd and the results were on point. I don't personally care about max hp, but other guys I know have this done and are very happy.

Last edited:
  SQ5
I had a panel filter forgot to mention that. 201 with a remap sounds poor mate but its not all about figures, its more how the car drives.

Where you get that mapped?

I also had it rr'd at a couple of places after and it was always around the same figures.

That correct, Courtney figures are about 210 with remap and down pipe, and after a friend went to Regal he turned around and got them to take everything off as was crap. Courtney are the only people I'd trust. But the map was done before we had it. I just had it rolling roadbed to see what it was putting out.

Where did yours have the work done and that figure produced?

RB Clio 182
That correct, Courtney figures are about 210 with remap and down pipe, and after a friend went to Regal he turned around and got them to take everything off as was crap. Courtney are the only people I'd trust. But the map was done before we had it. I just had it rolling roadbed to see what it was putting out.

Where did yours have the work done and that figure produced?

I had a thorney map on mine but i had it rrd at a couple of other place after.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You do know that 135i are around 300 bhp stock and can be put up to 400 hp with just a map. New age engines are majorly detuned as they are so efficient for fuel economy. If they left the factory at this level they wouldn't be suitable for all markets due to temperature variations, fuel quality etc.

I also know that erections aren't just for peeing over high walls.

RB 182
i've heard those 1998 Micra S's are s**t hot. maybe try one of those?

serious level though - don't settle for anything other than what you want.. you'll be spinning in circles.

I avoided this thread because it said Cooper S in the title, however after 2 pages it looks like you might need some more swaying.

I'll quote myself and link:

My GF's R56 was shocking. We did all the research and bought a well looked after example and it still cost her 2k in 6 months. Chain tensioners x2, full panoramic sunroof, and an electrical fault.

No idea on the R53 though, always liked them but disliked the fuel consumption.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?674768-Mini-Cooper-S-reliable&p=9210644#post9210644

ETA: 2K is excluding resale depreciation after about 9 months.... Closer to 4k than 2k unfortunately in total.