ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Air conditioning

Black 197
Right so it was pretty warm today in London... Started the car and switched the Air Con on...

There was no "Click" or drop in revs but the light was on, Well being a Renault i knew it would take a minute or two to blow out nice cold air but no nothing.. Just warm air !

Am i right in thinking that you should hear a click when the pump kicks in coupled with a slight drop in revs/loss of power ??

It was working a week or so ago so im at a loss end.. I've checked the fuses and there good to go.. also the belt is still attached to the pump.

Job for Renault ??

Thanks

V6 Exige, GTR R35
yeah the click is the solenoid opening for the gas to pass over the evap.

the engine revs drop when the compressor cuts in due to the load, im sure something must be up and if the fuses are good then theres not a lot of self diagnosis you can do.

any trusted garage should be able to help you out though.

Black 197
yeah the click is the solenoid opening for the gas to pass over the evap.

the engine revs drop when the compressor cuts in due to the load, im sure something must be up and if the fuses are good then theres not a lot of self diagnosis you can do.

any trusted garage should be able to help you out though.

Thanks mate !

No click or drop in revs so something is defo up.. Was only regassed 4 months ago and like i say its been working fine... The car is 2 years old so do you think any faulty parts would be replaced under warranty ?? Moving house next week and have no spare reddies at all..

BMW 320d M-Sport
I dislike the drop in power with the A/C on. I don't think my car used to do it until recently. Turning the A/C again is like accessing a power boost! Defo sounds like something's up with your system though.

Black 197
Trip to Renault i suppose.. right on top of my move... Should of stayed away from RS after my last 182.. Lesson learnt for next car

V6 Exige, GTR R35
yeah get it checked out by renault if its still under warrenty.

even a car that is 2 years old shouldnt need regassing - the system should be completly air tight untill the rust kicks in a few years down the line.

if im right its some sort of electrically activated clutch on the compressors, so the belt spins all the time but it doesnt drive the compressor until you switch it on obviously. im sure theyll be able to help you out doen your local stealers. i check mine once a week just by clicking it on even in winter. supposed to keep it healthier so they say.

hope you get it fixed chap :)

Black 197
yeah get it checked out by renault if its still under warrenty.

even a car that is 2 years old shouldnt need regassing - the system should be completly air tight untill the rust kicks in a few years down the line.

if im right its some sort of electrically activated clutch on the compressors, so the belt spins all the time but it doesnt drive the compressor until you switch it on obviously. im sure theyll be able to help you out doen your local stealers. i check mine once a week just by clicking it on even in winter. supposed to keep it healthier so they say.

hope you get it fixed chap :)

Nice one Stoddie very informative posts.... Gonna book it in for a couple of weeks time after my move... Hope its warranty work.. Thanks again

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Will just be a regas more than likely, Renault never fully gas thier cars from factory normally 0.2kgs under what it should be, after a year or 2 the gas will drop under the requirements for the ac pump to kick in. The amount ive regased this summer is a joke.

V6 Exige, GTR R35
surely a car 2 years old shouldnt have any leaks though!

ive worked on domestic fridge systems that have ran for 15 years and never needed any gas - or is this just because its renault!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF

ive worked on domestic fridge systems that have ran for 15 years and never needed any gas - or is this just because its renault!

If the system isnt used often then the refridgement will evaporate through the pips, very slowly mind.

I regased my brothers 911 a month ago, the system was totally empty, full regas and vacum and its working fine, no leaks atall.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.

Its because they're used all the time! Not using aircon is where the problems occurs, its not leaks, just the gas looses its effectiveness when not used!

Black 197
If the system isnt used often then the refridgement will evaporate through the pips, very slowly mind.

I regased my brothesr 911 a month ago, the system was totally empty, full regas and vacum and its working fine, no leaks atall.

Doubt i'll need a refill though as it was only done 4 months ago.. Even so in the unlikely case it was say empty i should still get the click from the compressor shouldn't i ?? I'm not too clued up on how aircon operates so correct me if im wrong

V6 Exige, GTR R35
might be some sort of cut out so if the system has a low pressure the compressor wont cut in.

in most (if not all) cases the refrigerant cools the compressor - if theres no gas in it you can risk overheating it and siezing it.

so im guessing no gas and it wont cut in - but like you say if it was just done 4 months ago theres something not right somewhere chap.

speak to renault and im sure thay can refil your system and leak test it if need be.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i expeact you have a leak then, they should have put dye in its last regas, so they should be able to find it easily.

The compressor will not kick in if the system is empty.

Black 197
i expeact you have a leak then, they should have put dye in its last regas, so they should be able to find it easily.

The compressor will not kick in if the system is empty.

Cheer pal...

So maybe its worth going somewhere to get it gassed to see if it works.. If a leak is found then Renault here we come... Would pipework, Compressors etc be covered under warranty ??

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
yes the whole system is coverd by warranty. I would take it straight to the stealers instead of spending £50 odd quid on gasing it up somewhere else

RS CLIO 197
there is a low pressure sensor on the system - if the pressure drops the compressor will not switch on hence no "click" - the gas carries oil which lubricates the compressor
gas loss is due to the seals drying out - running the system regularly keeps the seals and system lubricated and in good working order

Black 197
Cheers.. TBH i dont use it often as i find it dries my eyes out but since owning the car ( 5 months ) i have used it just once... Dont know how often the last owner used it either.. I'll drop it into Renault and tell them i believe i have a leak and see what they find.... Trouble is i dont have much faith in my local stealer.. May have to try another stealer tbh