ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 f1 r27 vs standard 197

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
possibly right, but an R27.R would (should) be a LOT cheaper than an exige. IMO will easily be sub £20k and quite possibly sub £16k.
But the demand isn't there IMO. One of the reasons hot hatches work so well is the combination of performance and practicality, they just slot into most people live's. Remove the boot space, rear seats etc and it's not an option as an only car for 99% of people. So instead of finding customers that can afford a 15-20k car, you're looking for people that can afford 2 cars.

I see your point completely, but I think you would be surprised at the number of people who run Hot Hatches as second cars anyway.

Either way, hats off to them for deciding on such a project and allocating a number of final bodies for it. Most manufacturers would use their last bodies for special editions that ammount to little more than some extra badges and go faster stripes.

Don't write off the idea of an R Clio at end of run. Brand image may be more important to them than reduced profits through development costs. That's if they even suffer reduced profits on the R26.R programme at all.

Was a 197
i know at the moment, dieppe is on a manufacturing break, while they have all the machinery serviced

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Either way, hats off to them for deciding on such a project and allocating a number of final bodies for it. Most manufacturers would use their last bodies for special editions that ammount to little more than some extra badges and go faster stripes.

Don't write off the idea of an R Clio at end of run. Brand image may be more important to them than reduced profits through development costs. That's if they even suffer reduced profits on the R26.R programme at all.
In a way I hope so. Can't think of another marque at sub 20k with the same attitude to performance cars.

Tav

Clio 197
Renault are quite unique among car manufacturers in that they offer a cup version with less equipment/weight for less money. Car companies are usually quick to charge extra for more performance even it is brought about by less kit. Porsche used to be good for offering cheaper Club Sport cars. If my Clio/Megane isn't arriving with glass rear windows, a stereo, rear seats or air con I don't want to pay more pennies for it...I want to pay less.

The fact of the matter is that most people like their little luxuries and mainly use their cars for getting them from A to B. A lot of people like the idea of a stripped out track biased car, but actually living with one when your not always out for b-road runs, track days or even grass roots motorsport is difficult. Someone made a good point about hot hatches just slotting into your life.

Removing every scrap of interior might make you feel like a track day hero but if your using your car everyday it's pretty silly.

Honda offered a light weight Civic Type R with no rear parcel shelf and air con deleted I think...I'm pretty sure they sold 1...yes 1...just as well they came up with the Championship White edition. They had it spot on with the DC2 Integra...Renault aren't too far off the mark with the 200 Cup...but wtf. is up with no adjustable steering collum...idiots!

As for the R27 I'd easily pick one out over the other 197's because I really like LY. It's nice to know it has the proper suspenion and seats as well. Could always buy a regular 197 and try to get a hold of Clio 200 Cup spec. dampers and springs...yeee hah!