ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 fast or nippy???????

hi guys im fairly new on here, i currently have my audi s3 for sale as im thinking of ordering a 197 i did take out a demo one for a test drive but i didnt want to scare the poor old lady to much lol
who thinks there a fast car? i know its not all about speed but i want sumthing that goes when you want it to!
thanks guys :cool:

i just dont know what to do as i want brand new and the megg is abit to much for me, and i like the look of the clio im just unsure as the s3 does have 277bhp

i just dont like the back of the r26
my mate had a 225bhp megg it was a great car but i just dont know about that arse lol

01 Renaultsport Clio 172
Meg sports are beautiful but hardly in the same league as an Audi S3. I'd get a newer one if i was you.

Sam

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You will find the build quality shocking coming from an Audi.

Black Gold with cup packs
The Renault Clio 197 is a superb car, and the build quality has vastly improved from the 172/182. you will be surprised how much better they are, personally, not being biased :), I would go for a 197, you will notice a great difference in the way the car handles compared to an S3, it IS the best handling hot hatch out there. As for Nippy (a C2 VTS is nippy as is a panda 100 and a swift sport) all those cars quoted have less than 135bhp, now with the 197 you have around 195bhp(mine has just been run on Janspeeds rolling road prior to the subtle mods I am getting done), making the car fast(not the fastest, but fast) 0-62 6.7seconds, not as fast as an A3 but the smile the car will give you everytime you drive it, more than makes up for loosing a bit of speed. The 197 is a GROW up version of the old clio sport range, the car looks, and is a better allrounder and it is also very appealing. The 197 allows you to look good, as well drive a fast car, the older cliosport range allowed you to drive a fast car, but at the same time look like a Hairdresser. And do yourself a big favour, get one in Glacier white. :)

Ive sort of done it the opposite way round mate, i had a Clio 182 ( faster on paper ) than a 197 , but the 197 build is better, and handles better!

After a brief fling with a Mk 2 Cupra i bit the bullet and bought a 8p S3 ( new one )

The interior is a different galaxy , and your 8l ( old one ) will be the same!

If your running 277bhp you must have 300-ish lbft? the 197 will feel very slow at low speeds and not as fast or refined at high speeds!

I don't want to pi$$ on any 197 owners chips , but for a everyday car it's a backwards step in every deparpment!

leon

For Raw power mate, If thats what your after, stick with your S3.
If you are changing for sure go with the 197, rattles, creeks and other numerous noises that come from 172/182's will send you insane, the car runs of making all these noises from every nook and cranny, but do you want a noisy seat, tapping from your wheel arch, creeking from your boot ect, I certainly didn't, and it took me a long time before I ought a 197 as well (2 years after releas) because I wanted to know if any of these issues popped up on the earlier models, as of yet I have Heard(excuse the pun) no issues as far as strange noises from 197 owners.

Clio MK 4
dont know why but i always imagine the earlier sports as more raw power. mk1 phase 1 to me seems more raw than the 197 which seems a bit girly and nippy. just my thoughts not actually driven either like.

ST
Ah the 197 haters at it again...they'll come round soon enough.

If you want to check one out, go to your dealer and drive one mate, the 172/182 drivers can't get over the fact that the 197 is a better overall package.

I traded my 182 in for my R27, the 182 was a great car but in terms of handling and driving enjoyment the 197 and 182 are night and day.

In a straight line the 182 may be a little bit faster as in less than half a second faster 0-62 but in real terms in everday driving you'd never notice, where the 197 lacks a little in power it makes up for in its ability to carry more speed through the corner and brake later and in my opinion thats where it counts for a hot hatch to excel as its not trying to be an autobahn stormer/super saloon/GT car etc its a hot hatch.

Ah the 197 haters at it again...they'll come round soon enough.

If you want to check one out, go to your dealer and drive one mate, the 172/182 drivers can't get over the fact that the 197 is a better overall package.

I traded my 182 in for my R27, the 182 was a great car but in terms of handling and driving enjoyment the 197 and 182 are night and day.

In a straight line the 182 may be a little bit faster as in less than half a second faster 0-62 but in real terms in everday driving you'd never notice, where the 197 lacks a little in power it makes up for in its ability to carry more speed through the corner and brake later and in my opinion thats where it counts for a hot hatch to excel as its not trying to be an autobahn stormer/super saloon/GT car etc its a hot hatch.

Well said, there however is nothing between the 197 and 182, I have run it three times

Coming from an S3, I'd go for an R26 rather than the 197, as it'd feel gutless, but personally, I'd keep the S3 over the R26!

ValverInBits
agreed. Keep the S3.

Although i've never driven one. And i've heard two people complaining about the way 20v turbos deliver the power.

Have any of the girls slagging the 197 off as being slow actually driven one? Hate to piss on your chips but I remember the 182 coming out and everyone saying it's slower blah blah blah, then the miles started to rack up... low and behold there was f**k all difference. Main difference however will be that handling doesn't get better with age, so it's a good job the 197 blows the crappy over rated 1*2 handling out the water.

To the OP, go test drive one again mate, give it some stick and then decide. They are awesome cars, especially at the price. The Megane is a lot quicker tbh, it's better in a straight line (not so sure on corners, think the Clio wins here) and is also a cracking car.

To be fair i don't think anybody ( in this thread ) has slagged off the 197 , peeps who have mentioned the 197 , have said it's has better build , and handles better than a 1*2 , but lacks the raw feel!

You have to asume he's spent some money on coilovers/dampers springs and ARB's so his S3 will hande well.

Most peeps have recommended the R26 or keep the S3 , but yeah test a 197 see what you think?

leon

MCS R56
The KA is pointless, 182's/197's are nippy (they're not fast).

That depends on the person who is driving. It's a matter of opinion. Nippy means that the person driving thinks it's quick.

Anyone driving a 197 etc that has come from a 1.2 or something will think it's fast. Someone coming from an S3 etc will not find it fast.

I just hate the term 'nippy'

Mark 1 Clio V6
Moving from a 4wd Audi turbo with great build quality will always make any Renault feel poor in comparison.

If you are at all interested in the drive (rather than just straight line speed), then go and test a 197 with Cup pack.

I changed to a 197 Cup from a 271 bhp Focus ST-3 which had been given the eibach treatment.

Interior quality, and straight line speed was amazing and far better than the 197.

197 is far more enjoyable and rewarding a drive however.

If you enjoy the turbo straight line thrash don't go to a NA car.
If you enjoy a driving experience and probably better handling than the S3, give the 197 a go.

Did your springs make much of a difference to the handling, I am a bit nervous as I have the option of springs, or coilovers, but I don't want to spoil the already superb handling of the cup? let me know craig.

Mark 1 Clio V6
The Eibach's made a difference to the Focus, yes a big difference.
It was very wooly to start with and the springs focussed (excuse the pun) the ST.

I, however, wouldn't touch the handling of the Cup.
I very much doubt it could be packaged any better than it currently is.

It could do with sitting a little lower looks wise, but I doubt that would make it any better handling and to me it's all about the driving with this car, and I feel Renault have got that spot on!

cheers guys no i dont work for renault lmao
i just wanna get a new car with warranty but i dont wanna go megga expensive and i love the new clio in white with the cup pack for a extra 400 pound what a bargin!
i have had many cars before 1 being a 16v in naples red! i loved it so much which bought me on here!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The Eibach's made a difference to the Focus, yes a big difference.
It was very wooly to start with and the springs focussed (excuse the pun) the ST.

I, however, wouldn't touch the handling of the Cup.
I very much doubt it could be packaged any better than it currently is.

It could do with sitting a little lower looks wise, but I doubt that would make it any better handling and to me it's all about the driving with this car, and I feel Renault have got that spot on!

try some H&R's ;)

Mk1 Eunos Roadster
The 197 is quite a bit of a down-trade from an S3. A Megane R26 is, i think, pretty much the only car in the S3's class that is actually better. Go for one of them and you won't be disappointed :)