ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 horrible engine noise, video inside. HELP

Morning!

Well on Friday, the r27 started making a weird noise, then stopped it again, I thought typical French car, doing weird things.

However, this morning, on the drive to the gym, the below happened. Was driving along at 30, turned on the front screen heater, smelt an awful burning smell and then the noise happened. I turned around, into a mini cloud of smoke, it was 2* at this point, whether that had anything to do with it I don't know, and nursed the car home, where it is now sat until I know what to do! It the sound is coming from the left hand side of the engine, my housemate thinks an alternator bearing may have gone, it drives fine, just makes this god awful noise.

Any help would be great, I'm in the middle of nowhere, so don't have an option to get it taken anywhere just yet, and won't take it to the nearest Renault place. Dan at 519 is closest to me, and I am calling him this week for le cambelt to be done, so if I can find out what's up with it before hand, I can ask him to fix it for me at the same time.

Cheers!

th_IMG_1028_zps1ae9d37a.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
sounds a bit like the alternator is rattling in the vid. I don't like video diagnostics though, there's no substitute for getting up close and personal.

Iirc a chap called Tom.C on here had a similar noise and it turned out to be a severely cracked exhaust manifold... fine one minute then pop the noise came.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I wasn't sure if it was swarf or not but Danny has it in hand from the sounds of things.

With these newer F4 blocks noises like this are normally due to failed AC compressors or bottom pulleys though.

Cheers for your input though Mick, always nice to have as many knowledgeable people as poss help.

I only noticed the swarf when the guy from green flag came out to have a look, as it was 7am when I took that vid so wasn't really awake!

The car will be with you Thursday/Friday Dan, you ok if I give the transport guy your number in case they get lost? Tried to call before but guessing you're swamped.