ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197? How?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Anyone know yet how they get 197 ps out of the 2 litre engine in Renaultsport Clio III? Anyone know what would have to be updated/changed/whatever in an earlier model to match, if its possible? Its a lot from a conventional (non-VTEC) long-stroke engine. The only thing I've seen from the pics of the instruments is that the rev limit is 7,500 rpm.

Dirty E91
They've used a RAM air effect apparently, what ever that is. Thought that was blowing a sheep up the ass!

I sure a technical guru will be along in a tick to explain all!

Dirty E91
increased compression ratio plus lots of re-engineering to internla bits and bobs like the inlet tracts and apparently the inlet cam gives higher valve lift.

Typing straight out of EVO.

Firms like Yozzasport and GDI can tune your engine for you to a similar level if thats what your after.

White Van Man
martynh said:
They've used a RAM air effect apparently, what ever that is. Thought that was blowing a sheep up the ass!

I sure a technical guru will be along in a tick to explain all!

Ramair is used a lot on bikes now, basically you site the air intake in an area of high pressure , and the faster you go, the higher the pressure being forced into the engine, more air = more fuel able to be burned efficiently = more power. Basically it's non mechanical turbo/supercharging. Hope this helps.

Lionel Richie
ramair doesn't occur until 150mph+ kinda thing, its marketing b****cks IMO (i haven't seen the article yet, so won't comment further)

its just a further developed F4R engine, IDENTICAL bore and stroke to the old one, slightly higher comp ratio, nowt special, we can get more power out of them ney bother

it'll either have the wide face block, same as the Megane RS/ vel satis, OR they used the existing F4R block with an all new gearbox (which i think is what they've done, as its cheaper to develop a gearbox than it is an engine!)

White Van Man
Fred2001Dynamic said:
ramair doesn't occur until 150mph+ kinda thing, its marketing b****cks IMO (i haven't seen the article yet, so won't comment further)

its just a further developed F4R engine, IDENTICAL bore and stroke to the old one, slightly higher comp ratio, nowt special, we can get more power out of them ney bother

it'll either have the wide face block, same as the Megane RS/ vel satis, OR they used the existing F4R block with an all new gearbox (which i think is what they've done, as its cheaper to develop a gearbox than it is an engine!)

One of the bike mags did a test a year or two ago on a Yamaha R6, with a dyno and a big f*ck off fan to simulate the airspeed. If I remember right, Yamaha claimed 10 bhp at max speed (about 160). The mag couldn't get enough from the fan to equate to the top speed, but they did record an improvement on the static bhp, so I think that there's someting in it, albeit at speeds that we wouldn't really experience more than a few times a day......;)

Fred I'm reasonably sure its the new block like you have.
Ram air is what there advertising as being the thing getting the extra power (they calim over 100% cylinder filling ro somthing which cannot be ture as its less than 10% more power and the old car only had 82% cylinder filling).
The higher CR will be for more torque the intake manifold and variable vvt head will give the real power.
Even keeping 7.5k red line you can get more power.

S2000
From the RenaultSport site

"The engine has continuous variable valve timing with modifications made to the valve seat aerodynamics, the crankshaft and the calibration of the camshaft. A new six speed manual gearbox works smoothly to ensure first class sports performance from the powerful and responsive 2.0 litre engine."

Put basically, the engine has been moved along the 'rpm' scale. Its point of peak efficiency has been moved to a higher rpm point, and the modifications are all there to support cylinder filling at higher rpm.

The shorter inlet manifold length with a better plenham design is there to enhance higher rpm harmonics. The VVT system is now constantly variable rather than a switch, allowing the ecu to alter inlet cam timing for any given engine speed/load conditions. This will allow a much more linear torque curve to be attained, and the result is higher bhp at all points. The exhuast has been tweeked. The camshaft is of a wilder profile (evident by the higher rpm limit required to make the best of it) and i would assume the cylinder head has been altered, especially the valve seat configuration which is poor on the current models. It also looks like they have updated the combustion chamber design and the pistons are more akin to a traditional flat top design.

BenR said:
Put basically, the engine has been moved along the 'rpm' scale. Its point of peak efficiency has been moved to a higher rpm point, and the modifications are all there to support cylinder filling at higher rpm.

The shorter inlet manifold length with a better plenham design is there to enhance higher rpm harmonics. The VVT system is now constantly variable rather than a switch, allowing the ecu to alter inlet cam timing for any given engine speed/load conditions. This will allow a much more linear torque curve to be attained, and the result is higher bhp at all points. The exhuast has been tweeked. The camshaft is of a wilder profile (evident by the higher rpm limit required to make the best of it) and i would assume the cylinder head has been altered, especially the valve seat configuration which is poor on the current models. It also looks like they have updated the combustion chamber design and the pistons are more akin to a traditional flat top design.

Do you recon that it will be a hard engine to get more power out of (172/182), or will time only tell?

no, it'll be like any other NA engine.

Modern engines can touch 300bhp now, but its just alot of money.

Audi TT 225
It is powered by an evolution of the normally aspirated 2.0 16V engine where the power output has been increased to 197hp. Powered by an evolution of the normally aspirated 2.0 16V engine where the power output has been increased to 197hp at 7250rpm with class leading torque of 215Nm at 5500rpm. The engine has continuous variable valve timing with modifications made to the valve seat aerodynamics, the crankshaft and the calibration of the camshaft. A new six speed manual gearbox works smoothly to ensure first class sports performance from the powerful and responsive 2.0 litre engine. It adds up to great handling on any road

theengine.jpg

172 cup'd extreme
its the wideboy F4R the '8' series , looked into fitting the TR5 gearbox that it comes with to mine and it wont fit

Lionel Richie
its the wideboy block so you say jon??? makes sense as the new clio RS apparently has the megane RS subframe (surprise surprise!)

172 cup'd extreme
the small block 7 series such as 730 (mk1 172 ) and 736 (cup) the 8 series is same as megane vel satis etc or so my source says , im trying to get my hands on the inlet manifold off it from france

Lionel Richie
it would explain some of the weight gain of the new car

i'd guess the wideboy block and 6 speed box was 50-60kg heavier than the skinny block and jc5