ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Magazine Advert

Anyone seen the new 197 magazine adverts, Renault are doing.

Its in this months GQ magazine.

197.gif

Last edited:
  106 GTi
Been in Evo as well for the last couple if issues now.

They had done the same before with the Megane.

172cup
car looks incredibly gay there.

I have to say its one of those cars that looks so much better in the flesh than in photos.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
personally i like that pic. im not partial to red cars but the 197 pulls it off, though id buy silver or blue. either blue.

I love that the marketing men were apparently shat on and told there was going to be no roof spoiler - it would be dumped in favour of a proper racing diffuser, yet they are wanking off over a plastic moulding. LOL the Matiz diffuser was exactly what the marketing men wanted.

Oh and the Cup will have a spoiler.

PS. I'm not knocking the car, as I have yet to see one yet alone drive one.

Tangoed Works
I dont understand why everyone seems to have it in for the car. Its a new model, your one is the old one now, get over it!

Think the ad is pretty good imo.

jayxx83 said:
I dont understand why everyone seems to have it in for the car. Its a new model, your one is the old one now, get over it!

Personally, I dont have a problem with the car. It's just (IMO) a very very lame advert. I followed the media and remember specifically reading that the marketing team were basically pissed on because they couldnt have a drag inducing spoiler. b****cks! reverse logic so they can market a diffuser that if we're all honest does next to bugger all, especially with a top-end of only 134mph.

I have no real opinion on the car yet, I'm just commenting on the marketing strategy, and this advert.

Astra VXR 17/05/07
jayxx83 said:

I don`t think the fact that its a new model is the reason people don`t like it. Not liking a car just because its replaced your older model is shallow, but i don`t think thats the case.

Plenty of people simply don`t like it. Get over it !

M

mij29

the look of a 172/182 is a lot better for me.every thats brought out just looks samey now a days.

STOP slatting the 197. Get a life - if you don't like it don't buy it.

Don't even start preaching about being entitled to an opinion... I think deep down you cannot come to terms with the fact that the 172/182 has been consigned to history even though it remains an excellent hot hatch.

The 197 moves the game on!

tin69 said:
Don't even start preaching about being entitled to an opinion...

Because it's not the same opinion as yours? Pull your head out of the sand :)

Some people who have driven it (not me) dont feel it's "moved the game on" at all. Just like many Williams fans dont think the 172 moved the game on. If you think it has (have you driven one?) then you're entitled to your opinion, just as everyone else is. How about you dont even start preaching that nobody else is entitled to an opinion if it differs from your own?

Only a teenager would have the mentality that anyone who doesnt w**k off over the 197 must be envious, and in denial. As though it might be some kind of sour grapes thing. Spanner.

Astra VXR 17/05/07
Roy Munson said:

Some people who have driven it (not me) dont feel it's "moved the game on" at all. Just like many Williams fans dont think the 172 moved the game on. If you think it has (have you driven one?) then you're entitled to your opinion, just as everyone else is. How about you dont even start preaching that nobody else is entitled to an opinion if it differs from your own?

Only a teenager would have the mentality that anyone who doesnt w*nk off over the 197 must be envious, and in denial. As though it might be some kind of sour grapes thing. Spanner.

Well said Roy,

Its becoming boring now how many people think that anybody who owns an older Clio and doesnt like the 197 doesnt like it because its replaced the outgoing model we own.

Don`t these people realise thats it OK to not like a car, we don`t have to like it because its a Renault ffs !

Roy Munson said:

Only a teenager would have the mentality that anyone who doesnt w*nk off over the 197 must be envious, and in denial. As though it might be some kind of sour grapes thing. Spanner.

Its official. The Clio 197 (not 182) is the best hot hatch currently on sale. See Autocar (19 July) where it beats the Focus ST and the Astra VXR. Get a grip. It seems by modern standards the 182 is a one trick pony. I still have tremendous respect for the 182. However the 197 moves the game on.

Was pleasantly suprised to find a 197 at Brent Cross Shopping centre!

Funkyjahooner said:
Well said Roy,

Its becoming boring now how many people think that anybody who owns an older Clio and doesnt like the 197 doesnt like it because its replaced the outgoing model we own.

Don`t these people realise thats it OK to not like a car, we don`t have to like it because its a Renault ffs !

Its official. The Clio 197 (not 182) is the best hot hatch currently on sale. See Autocar (19 July) where it beats the Focus ST and the Astra VXR. Get a grip. It seems by modern standards the 182 is a one trick pony. I still have tremendous respect for the 182. However the 197 moves the game on.

tin69 said:

As I asked previously in the thread - have you driven both cars?

Get a grip on what? I took issue with the suggestion that those who preferred the 182 might be in some kind of denial. Personally, now I have seen one in the metal and driven it, I think it's a stunningly good car.

However, some other people disagree and prefer the 182. Thats their honest opinion based on having driven both. Why do they need to "get a grip"? because thier opinion doesnt agree with something you read in a magazine?

"Muppetttttt" :D

Last edited:
At the end of the day it's still a FWD cheapo family hatchback! I love the Trophy and I'll probably love the 197 if/when I drive one I'd rather have a Boxster S....

Having said that I do like the poster I've seen at stations featuring a picture of the 197 and underneath that: "Va Va Voom x F1 = 197"

Turbos.
Going back to the original post... I think it is a good advert for who it is aiming at. People keep forgetting that the 197 is the entry level car, it is the born again 172. It is a rounder, softer car for someone who likes cars but doesn't neccessarily love them.

I can't blame Renault for milking the F1 connection. If people can look past the fact that the Williams has tasteless gold wheels then surely a diffuser isn't too hard to swallow...

Nissan 350Z
IMO the game hasnt been moved on at all, in terms of actual driver appeal. Some of the older hot hatches are still some of the best.

The only way the 197 moves the game on is in size and safety (and price). Nothing else. In some peoples opinion it may handle better, but theres other cars that have handled as well if not better than the 197, so how exactly has it (or any other hot hatch out atm for that matter) moved the game on?

Turbos.
You've answered your own question. It still is hailed as the best handling hot hatch at the moment, yet is safter, more spacious and better built. As i have mentioned before, Renault are just listening to what the general public wants.

I have to admit I was shocked to find myself thinking "Hey Roy, this bad boy actually handles better than your 182Cup dude"

In that sense alone, I think it has moved the game on.

Nissan 350Z
Again, thats subjective. There seems to be no shortage of people who seem to think the 106 GTI handles better than the 182.

Ford Racing Puma?

Integra Type R?

<<Insert whatever car people have a personal bias for>>

At nearly 1.3 tonnes, i simply cant see how its "moved the game on".

VaVa
You can't say it's better. Handling is entirely subjective.

Michael Schumacher probably thinks his team mates car handles like a bag of s**t..... but it will obviously work for him.

I like the way my 172 squirms and bucks around - My LCR driving buddy considers it dangerous. lol.

Nissan 350Z
Roy Munson said:
It handles better. Period.

:S Another know-it-all on ClioSport. Shock horror!

Things like grip are absolutes. It either grips more or it doesnt.

Handling, that is subjective. How you cant see that I dont know. This is why people have different opinions on different cars, otherwise it would always be completely clear as to which one was the best.

I suspect with its extra weight (now pretty much the same weight as an old CTR), close ratio 6-speed gearbox (CTR), electronic power steering (CTR anyone), larger size (now probably as big as a CTR), and more peaky power delivery (hmmm, lets think about this.... CTR anyone?), then Renault to me have just made it into a french Civic Type R..... and I dont like the CTR, so each to their own.

The old one is more like a big 106, so they are completely different. I dont see why its so difficult to understand how one may prefer the driving characteristics (i.e. handling playing a large part) of a lighter, smaller car ;)

pbirkett said:
:S Another know-it-all on ClioSport. Shock horror!

Plank. 'IMHO' it's a better handling car, is that better? I didnt realise I needed your permission to voice that opinion.

French Civic TypeR? You havent driven the 197 then I take it?

Last edited:
  Nissan 350Z
You dont need my permission at all. But when you say stuff like:-

Roy Munson said:
It handles better. Period.

That implies that there is no other acceptable outcome / opinion.

Why do people always resort to name calling on this forum when you try and have a discussion....

But if you are going to be like that: tosser.

Well if we are going to get pedantic, I'd class "know it all" as name calling, but back to the topic in hand...

I have a 182Cup and I love it's handling. I've driven a 197 and think it handles better. Therefore I've driven both, and prefer the one I dont own. So pretty unbiased.

Have you driven a 197? Based on your CTR comments I'm guessing not.

Nissan 350Z
No i've not driven one, but you have to admit theres a fair few similarities:-

Kerb weight the same. 6-gears. Revvy engine. Virtually identical power output. Similar electronic power steering...

That seems a lot closer in spirit to the CTR than the 182 to me.

I'm not going to drive one though. Why? Because I wouldnt buy one anyway, once the 182 goes, then i'm done with the hot hatch thing, i'll be after something either RWD and sporty or a bit more refined.

the 197 is the nuts had a 182 and seen the 197 and had to get one well up to date i think the mark 3 is out dated .......still liked the 182 tho gr8t fun..