ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 or 200?

Im stuck on this decision, the 200 looks better but alot longer than the 197, are they basically the same cars with different front ends and the 200 with 3 more bhp?

Also theres the price difference, ive seen the 197 as cheap as £6000 ive thought that it cant be right but im not sure, what would you have if you had a choice?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Im stuck on this decision, the 200 looks better but alot longer than the 197, are they basically the same cars with different front ends and the 200 with 3 more bhp?

Also theres the price difference, ive seen the 197 as cheap as £6000 ive thought that it cant be right but im not sure, what would you have if you had a choice?

They're the same car with different bumpers basically. The 197 had a few problems as all cars do, and they fixed a lot of them on the 200's. I would personally go for a 200 if you have the cash.

197's can be had for under £4000.00 now for a bit of a dog, but then up to £7000.00 odd, the early (59) 200's are around the £7500.00 at the cheaper end in my experience.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
All down to personal preference, you aleeady say you prefer the looks of the 200, where as for me I'm not so keen on it and prefer the 197 appearance.

Too similar to non-sports for me ;) But then I'm Bias I suppose

abyhatyb.jpg
change your opinion? :p

Clio 197
its all about the 197!
you can get a top spec 197 for the same price as a basic/mid range 200, also im pretty sure 200's only have 4 seats 197's have 5.
and there is no power difference between the two models

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
used to prefer the look of the 197, but it looks pretty dated from the front in comparison these days IMO.

Go with what your budget can afford, better to get a top knotch 197 than a sh*t 200 if you get me?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Get the best spec you can afford, they're essentially the same car.

look for a

197 with cup chassis, recaros, xenons with cornering lights and climate control
197 r27 with xenons and climate control
200 with cup chassis, Bluetooth, recaros and climate control
Any 'special edition' 200 as they're full of options from
factory

Too similar to non-sports for me ;) But then I'm Bias I suppose

I thought a 200 was following me the other day, turned out to be a 1.2 :(

E92 325D
Ive not had one person come view it. Plenty of "oh im really interested" time wasters but nobody actually turning up waving cash in my face to take it off my hands.

Its just sailed through its mot and has tax for 6 months on it too.

RB 182 195bhp
Powers are 195bhp for 197's and 198bhp for 200's are they not?
I was lead to believe the 197 suffered from big flat spots in the standard map and worse gear ratios than the 200.
200 cup/ cup packed also has a faster steering rack and even firmer suspension than a 197 cup/ cup packed of the same spec does it not?
197's look nicer though, people correct me if I'm wrong.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
What colour is that?

Really wanted a Glacier white 200 next, but now i really want that blue haha :eek:

It's Racing Blue :)
I was lead to believe the 197 suffered from big flat spots in the standard map and worse gear ratios than the 200.
200 cup/ cup packed also has a faster steering rack and even firmer suspension than a 197 cup/ cup packed of the same spec does it not?

Realistically the 197/200 aren't the BHP they're quoted to be. Mine RR'd at 184.6BHP, and the two other 200's there did very similar. There's nothing in it between 197 or 200 power wise really, and neither is very tunable either.

200 I believe has a faster rack than a 197, whether thats noticable or not though I don't know. It wouldn't really be a deciding factor for me I must admit. I think the 200 is slightly lower and firmer than a 197 if Cupped.

172 rag
197 over 200 on my eyes is far more sexy.

No spoiler
Recaro's
Speedlines turini with the r3 offset
and if you leave in Wales one with the shorter gearing.
Keep the change for petrol
Job done

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
197 over 200 on my eyes is far more sexy.

No spoiler
Recaro's
Speedlines turini with the r3 offset
and if you leave in Wales one with the shorter gearing.
Keep the change for petrol
Job done

I have highlighted the bits I dislike with :p All opinions though, not saying you're wrong

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Ive not had one person come view it. Plenty of "oh im really interested" time wasters but nobody actually turning up waving cash in my face to take it off my hands.

Big shame, as it looks a great buy IMO

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Shame, if I was in the market I'd have it off you so fast I'd snap your wrist

both are around 185 standard. Some weaker, some stronger.

They both have flat spots and decatting them makes it worse.

They revised the gearbox on the r27 onwards (57-last 200s) so 70 in 6th was 3.5k rather than 4k

yeah the cup and cup chassied 200s were stiffer and had quicker steering than the 197s with cup chassis