ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 running costs

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Hi guys

I have started a new job so am thinking of upgrading the car but i will be doing a fair amount of motorway miles, about 15,500 a year (325 a week). I just wanted to know what sort of mpg you guys get for average motorway driving and how much things like road tax etc is.

any help would be great

cheers
James

Swift Sport
There's loads of information regarding 197 mpg on here, expect to get late 20's driving sensible and low 20's using your right foot. Significantly worse than a 1*2.

clio sport f1 r27
driving like a sissy im getting 34 mpg but usually lasts 2 miles after a fill up then a can resist driving normally

LY 200
I have had mine in the 30's before now driving 'relitively' sensisibly!

Driving sensible when you should (i.e 30's and 40's) and cruising in 6th on the motorway at a constant 80 aswell as some big beans here and there should see you with around 28mpg.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I averaged about 27mpg in mine, in the other 3 Mk2 RS's i've had, i get about 34mpg. Same roads/driving style. Only one way petrol will go too! Was one factor that made me sell up........

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
Personally I think anything over 30mpg is over optimistic. Anyone who doesn't drive like their Grandparents will get below 30mpg average.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Personally I think anything over 30mpg is over optimistic. Anyone who doesn't drive like their Grandparents will get below 30mpg average.

this.

drive it like your mother, you get 30mpg.

drive it normally, i got 26mpg all day long.

BMW M Lite
Motorway driving with the cruise set at at 70 I normally get 34 mpg in my 200 (which I would assume is similar mpg wise to the 197). Town driving I get 24-26 mpg, enjoying it I get 19-22 mpg.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hi guys

I have started a new job so am thinking of upgrading the car but i will be doing a fair amount of motorway miles, about 15,500 a year (325 a week). I just wanted to know what sort of mpg you guys get for average motorway driving and how much things like road tax etc is.

any help would be great

cheers
James

Also, thats a tank a week @ £60+

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Shocking when you consider it's no quicker than a 182, and that'll run around 35mpg.

Weight FTL. :(

Indeed. Was (as said) a reason i cashed in on mine. Wanted something cheapish to run whilst i bought a house etc (although tarting up the cup is costing me £££:() The Cup is faster though, no question, and once i've sorted the paint/wheels ist done. cheap motoring ftw

320d
197's main downfall is the fuel consumption. Its rivals like the MCS will do 45mpg official combined figure.

On a motorway run 40mpg plus was very easily achieveable in my 172.

08 197 cup
i have a 197cup and my daily drive is mostly b roads and motorway @50mpg in 6th...
so i have no choice most of the time but to drive like a granny...
i get between 31 and 34mpg.
ignore the mpg computer in the car this is incorrect.work it out yourself is better...

Evo
Its all academic anyway because if you buy a 197 it'll spend so much time in the dealers after going wrong that your effectively buying a twingo 1.2 courtesy car as your daily driver.

And they are very good on petrol :p

Nimbus 197
27mpg motorway unless ur hammering it.. then it goes down down down.. very expensive to run x lol it eats all my money..

Wanna buy mine? LOL

LY 200

this.

drive it like your mother, you get 30mpg.

drive it normally, i got 26mpg all day long.

Rubbish - Pedal to the metal everywhere (which is not driving normally) will see you with around 25! Driving normally will see you with 28 to 30 easily!

I dont drive like my mother (well she doesnt drive but someone elses mother) yet iv had it in the 34's before now (admitedly mostly on the motorway in 6th at 70/80) so it can be done without trying!

Around town with some 7k time in zones that allow will see me on 28mpg.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i have a 197cup and my daily drive is mostly b roads and motorway @50mpg in 6th...
so i have no choice most of the time but to drive like a granny...
i get between 31 and 34mpg.
ignore the mpg computer in the car this is incorrect.work it out yourself is better...

so slow you must be going backwards???

Not a chance i had mine for 18 months and never saw 30 mpg!

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
34mpg regularly in my 200, drops a little when town driving.

I also calculate by hand and the trip computer is consistently 1-2mpg less over a tank fill :eek:

LY 200
so slow you must be going backwards???

Not a chance i had mine for 18 months and never saw 30 mpg!

30 mpg is easily achievable!

Perhaps like the 182's seemed to be (when i had mine) some are different to others.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The only thing that really puts me off them is the mpg, my ass is never out the car at the moment except when i'm at work or sleeping!