ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 spare Key Card

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Hi everyone,

Picked up my 197 yesterday and I love it :D, but only got one keycard with it. Me and the missus both share the car so would be handy to have a second keycard for it. I was wondering if its possible to buy them second hand off ebay and program them yourself, or If I have to go to Renault and get raped for whatever they feel like charging that day!

Anyone done this before, I know on my old fiesta there was a "method" to programming new keys to the car. If it is a dealer only job then whats the damage?

Twingo rs133
How come it only came with 1 keycard? I would be worried just incase they come back and nick it

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Bought It from a large "car supermarket" place, who would have taken it in P/X or I would imagine from an auction or other dealership. The radio presets werent local anyway lol. So im not too worried about the previous owner just annoyed as I want two keys!

LY R27
I'd be worried too mate. I got 2 with mine.

Also if ur 197 went missing then good luck trying to explain that to the insurance company.

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Ok you've convinced me I might try chasing the dealership on monday. If it goes missing then I'll explain to the Insurance company about it only being sold with one key. I'll also track down the previous owner and cut his F***ing hands off lol!

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Looks like I'll have to wait a while for that then, gotta wait on DVLA to send new one through for now. £150 is rape for a key really, when it'll cost em £15 to buy and 2mins to get working with the car. bloody car dealerships..

Vectra SRi
i'd be worried, i've heared of people stealing keys from dealers, 2 people go in, enquire about the car and most dealers keep both keys on one key ring, one will distract the salesman while the other steals a key, then they replace it with a dummy key and either come back at night if they can get it out or wait for it to sell and then take it from the proud new owner :nono: definatly bad news though!

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Went and picked my gt twingo 2day and renault have lost my spare key

Nice of them, was the car brand new? if so they'll have to provide a second....

Or should I stick with the theme of this thread and tell you your cars gonna get nicked because apparently nobody "loses" keys? :rasp::)

Clio 1970000000
Might be worth PMing Seb. He got a spare key for his 197 from Renault as he had lost one just before I bought it.

Hang on, are you saying he is going to come round and nick his old car back ;)

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Might be worth PMing Seb. He got a spare key for his 197 from Renault as he had lost one just before I bought it.

Hang on, are you saying he is going to come round and nick his old car back ;)

unfortunately mate, it seems its inevitable that eventually he's gonna do it. ;)

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Good job he's a copper so I can call him to investigate the crime scene. Should find a few finger prints :headno:

Sounds like a plan, till he turns up in a familiar looking 197. "quick response unit you see ;)"

Skoda Fabia vRS
yup your looking at around £200 for a card, they do NOT cost anywhere near £15 to buy in from Renault, far from it

7701209137 £95.28+vat

plus the charge for programming which will be £40-£80 depending on the dealer

Last edited:
  Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Ouch, might have to get one when im feeling a little flush, bills to pay for now though. I knew It would be expensive from renault (Iv had new keys from them before for work vans etc.) but im supprised theres no way to program your own key card. If I do buy one I'll make sure I keep my eye on what he does, as I swear if he doesnt have to plug anything into the car... :slap:

I suppose I'll stop whinging now anyway :D

Oh yeah and thanks for the prices Brun :)

Skoda Fabia vRS
dont buy em off Ebay, they are nothing more than paper weights, they are locked to the chassis number they have been supplied for

the programme charge comes in because you have to programme them with 'clip', which is also the diagnostic computer, so its taking that away from being used for other things whilst coding your key, you dont just do a secret routine with pedals/stalk etc hehe, IIRC it actually communicates with france whilst its doing it, but i could be wrong on that

Skoda Fabia vRS
basically yes, i spoke to a mobile key fella not so long ago about the key cards, and he said the kit is coming out so that they can do them, but at the minute the machines are too pricey and the 'blank' cards actually cost more than they do from us (dealer), so they cant compete on price even if it can be done elsewhere

Mini Cooper S
I see. They do have great technology.

My boss has a 57 plate megane with a key card and I have an 08 clio with the key card. You can't just leave the key card in your pocket with the megane to start the engine. When did the technology change?

Skoda Fabia vRS
it depends on the spec of the car really as to whether it has hands free opening/closing or if it has hands free opening/closing + starting, or whether it doesnt have any hands free functions at all

Twingo rs133
Nice of them, was the car brand new? if so they'll have to provide a second....

Or should I stick with the theme of this thread and tell you your cars gonna get nicked because apparently nobody "loses" keys? :rasp::)
Nah it was second hand a year old. They have ordered me a new key a reckon it will take a week then i have 2 take the car back 4 them 2 reprogramme the key