ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Test Drive at last.

106 GTi
Popped into the local stealers to get some info on the Megane 230, which the kindly obliged in photocopying a memo to them, as they did not know anything about it and I was the first to ask them about it - not going to be cheap fully loaded and in Liquid Yellow that being at 1200 quid option on it.

Salesman seemed quite keen to let talk me into testing a Blue 197 so it would have been rude to say no. 6300 miles on the clock so more ran in than my own 182.

Views, felt alot more refined to drive, seating postion and legroom was alot better for us lanky drivers. Very easy to get comfortable and the seats where very supportive but alot softer and more cushioned. Hated the look of the steering wheel but was a whole lot better to hold and smaller than the 182s. Getting back into mine the interior looked so dated.

On the road the 197 felt very sure footed, held the road very well at speed, steering was far to light, again getting back in the 182 it felt as if it had no power steering at all in comparison. Going round a mini roundabout in the 197 felt horrible when steering almost over sensitive.

Power wise as others have mentioned it did seem underpowered, even giving maximum attack in 1st and 2nd to the limiter did not have the same push you back into you seat as the 182. That said it pulled and had traction without any of the torque steer and scrabbling around of the 182 when nailed hard to the limiter in the lower gears, was very composed and grown up. Had losts of exhaust noise even at lower revs in higher gears which suprised me as the 182 seems to be more induction noise. Salesaman moaned about the noise I thought it sounded good.

Highlight of the car for me was the gearbox, lovely and smooth compared to the 182, with a nice short throw, if there was one thing I liked it was the box. Ratios seemed nicely stacked and it was easy and effortless to pull very nicely in 3rd and 4th to speeds that you did not relaise until you looked at the speedo. In the 182 you know you covering ground as it feels like it, 197 is deceptive.

I guess I expected more of the brakes for which to me at the weak point on the 182, from the test drive they did not seem much different honest, this is one area I though the new car may have excelled.

Overall I enjoyed the 197 a nice drive, anyone looking to buy one and not owning or having owned a 1*2 I think would buy one straight away. It never had the I really want to buy one now factor I was left with after driving my 182 which saw me ordering one there and then. The 197 left me feeling it was capable car, and a nice drive, but lacked the slightly old school charm of the 182. My word to the salesman where if I did not have the 182 I would have been placing an order. Will be waiting on the test drive of the Megane 230 next.

Rich said:
Popped into the local stealers to get some info on the Megane 230, which the kindly obliged in photocopying a memo to them, as they did not know anything about it and I was the first to ask them about it - not going to be cheap fully loaded and in Liquid Yellow that being at 1200 quid option on it.

Salesman seemed quite keen to let talk me into testing a Blue 197 so it would have been rude to say no. 6300 miles on the clock so more ran in than my own 182.

Views, felt alot more refined to drive, seating postion and legroom was alot better for us lanky drivers. Very easy to get comfortable and the seats where very supportive but alot softer and more cushioned. Hated the look of the steering wheel but was a whole lot better to hold and smaller than the 182s. Getting back into mine the interior looked so dated.

On the road the 197 felt very sure footed, held the road very well at speed, steering was far to light, again getting back in the 182 it felt as if it had no power steering at all in comparison. Going round a mini roundabout in the 197 felt horrible when steering almost over sensitive.

Power wise as others have mentioned it did seem underpowered, even giving maximum attack in 1st and 2nd to the limiter did not have the same push you back into you seat as the 182. That said it pulled and had traction without any of the torque steer and scrabbling around of the 182 when nailed hard to the limiter in the lower gears, was very composed and grown up. Had losts of exhaust noise even at lower revs in higher gears which suprised me as the 182 seems to be more induction noise. Salesaman moaned about the noise I thought it sounded good.

Highlight of the car for me was the gearbox, lovely and smooth compared to the 182, with a nice short throw, if there was one thing I liked it was the box. Ratios seemed nicely stacked and it was easy and effortless to pull very nicely in 3rd and 4th to speeds that you did not relaise until you looked at the speedo. In the 182 you know you covering ground as it feels like it, 197 is deceptive.

I guess I expected more of the brakes for which to me at the weak point on the 182, from the test drive they did not seem much different honest, this is one area I though the new car may have excelled.

Overall I enjoyed the 197 a nice drive, anyone looking to buy one and not owning or having owned a 1*2 I think would buy one straight away. It never had the I really want to buy one now factor I was left with after driving my 182 which saw me ordering one there and then. The 197 left me feeling it was capable car, and a nice drive, but lacked the slightly old school charm of the 182. My word to the salesman where if I did not have the 182 I would have been placing an order. Will be waiting on the test drive of the Megane 230 next.

There are to be no 230 demonstators, advance order only

Rich, exactly my thoughts. A great car unless you are thinking of upgrading from a 172/182 in which case it just feels slow.

Insane really. If they had made it at least as quick as a 182 they would have sold lots more already. I for one was all set to buy one until I realised it didnt feel quick.

Last edited:
Maybe they should have used a light pressure trubo, the engine clearly doesnt have the ability to push out Honda levels of NA power.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i test drove one about 2 months ago. I felt the same, its very capable and if i had that kinda money and had to change cars, id think about the 197. It just doesnt have that magic that the 1*2 has, my cup puts a smile on my face every time i floor it and the 197 felt a little boring in comparison.

I must agree the gear box is 1000x better than the 172/182 though, that felt awesome, although 6 gears could take some getting used to.

MKIII 138
reno arent mugs they will judge initial sales, listen to what people want and probably make a hardcore verision that in the end will have about 205ps and perhaps an LSD from the meg

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It surprises me that you think the brakes are weak on the 182.

The standard setup is quite impressive imho.

Be interesting to see how the 197 drives with the plug pulled on the electric steering motor.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Roy Munson said:
^^197ps would be a good start.

:S

If the 197 had anymore power from launch then the product cycle would be distorted and you would end up with a car that would blow itself out of its class (performance wise).

out of the corsa/207/clio/polo (not the punto thats an exception) group the 197 will be the quickest in standard form.

Tom said:
:S

If the 197 had anymore power from launch then the product cycle would be distorted and you would end up with a car that would blow itself out of its class (performance wise).

out of the corsa/207/clio/polo (not the punto thats an exception) group the 197 will be the quickest in standard form.

Clio 197 = 197ps?

I don't believe it for a second. The one I drove felt like my 182 with 4 passengers.

182FF c/w Recaros
Roy Munson said:
I don't believe it for a second. The one I drove felt like my 182 with 4 passengers.

Struth:eek:

Roy, with all due respect to the 182:hail: that would make the 197 feel about as fast as my last car:rolleyes:

106 GTi
Fletch123 said:
Rich your 182 isn't even bedded in yet;)

I know, nice knowing there is more yet to come.

Davehughes said:
good read rich, how many miles u got on ur 182 now ???

Just went over the 4000 on the way to test the 197.

106 GTi
Tom said:
It surprises me that you think the brakes are weak on the 182.

The standard setup is quite impressive imho.

Be interesting to see how the 197 drives with the plug pulled on the electric steering motor.

I have had a couple of moments like others one here where the brakes just dont seem to work/slow you down. In all honestly when they are cold, never a problem when they have heat in them. They never inspire me with confidence.

Would be intresting - going round a mini roundabout at low speed it felt very horrible and light. Better at speed. Suprised how heavy it made the 182 steering feel when I went to leave the car park after the test drive.

ralph wiggum said:
There are to be no 230 demonstators, advance order only

Really - gutting, salesman at Hylton seemd to think they would get one as a demo :(

106 GTi
There's more - 3 points I missed.

Postive first - Old hat on other models I know, as gimmicky as it seems I liked the keyless entry, was very handy. But would have concerns about it not working and being locked out lol and the stories of people having things stolen from there car, was a story on here a while ago re. Meganes with it IIRC?

Control stalks, anyone else find them annoyingly short?

Wheel Bolts, shockingly cheap on Renaults part. Let the look of the wheels down rusting away there on a 2006, 6K car. Not a problem if they are covered up like normal 182 rims, but Renault need to coat these or make them out of a differnt material when they are on show with to give a decent finish. (My 1992 Peugeots had wheel nuts that did not rust - not rocket science) Either that or give them plastic covers like the new Peugeots have.

Abarth Grande Punto
my feelings the same mate, i just dont think the 197 touches the 182! Not for the money anyway!

That's quite shocking about the wheel bolts Rich. You certainly do not expect that. Chrome plated would be essential on a wheel without a hub cap. Oviously aftermarket chromed bolts of some sort will be the "Silvervision" of 197 mods before very long!

Good read, this thread. Some good information about the 197.

Dom...ok maybe 3 people :clown:

Rich said:
Really - gutting, salesman at Hylton seemd to think they would get one as a demo :(

Renault West London are not even getting one :(

They are head office and If they wont be getting one no-one will. Shame I would of loved to drive one to see how the lsd changes things

Leon Cupra 300
i found the brakes were a bit poo too...

197ouchresize.gif

NEED V6!
The 197 is no looker and inside the cabin looks pant's to me like my mates corsa.

But the megane r26 or 230 F1 looks the shiznit, especially in that liquid yellow borrowed from the clio 182 and V6. Feast your eyes on this Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!And couple more photo's i have.
1488813_meganeR263m.jpg
RenaultMeganeR26_1_250px.jpg
clio_cup_renault_sport_2006_01.jpg
94-renault-clio-williams.jpg
1991_renault_clio_xl.jpg

Renault-Clio-v6-4.jpg
Renault%20%20Clio%20Sport.jpg
:rasp: :rasp: :cool: :star:

A Beautiful R32
Rich said:

You havin a laugh?? The brakes on my 182 are awesome... Only occasionally do they fade or bind. Stop the car bloody quickly though, last week they saved me from some idiot driving his tractor on the wrong side of the road :S

106 GTi
I think my 205 GTi had better brakes then my 182 to be honest. For me the only critism I have of my car. One more than one occassions have gone to used them and am not sure how I have actually stopped. Always find myself getting some heat into them now before I feel confident enough to push on.

J

JACKO CUP 172!

i found it hard work tryin to stop the cup:dapprove: .
but had to replace the discs so spoke to my
bro who works at a.p.d in swindon and he got
me some brembo replacement discs and ferodo pads.
seems to be a lot better and at higher speed no fade wot so ever.
got them 4 a bargain price to.

know wot u r sayin about the 197 me and den v6 took the
blue 1 out from fish bros cained it up and down the duel carrigeway
hit limiter in1,2,3 but felt a bit poor tbh.:eek:

jacko

Last edited by a moderator:
Davey182 said:
You havin a laugh?? The brakes on my 182 are awesome... Only occasionally do they fade or bind. Stop the car bloody quickly though, last week they saved me from some idiot driving his tractor on the wrong side of the road :S

I would tend to agree the brakes on my 182 are really quite excellent. When i first bought the car I would probably of agreed with Rich but changing the pads and the fluid made them superb

106 GTi
New pads and fluid sound in order then for me then something that has been playing on my mind.

What pads you go for on yours?

Cheers

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I have to agree with Rich regarding the brakes,several times under heavy high speed braking,i've nearly wet myself with fear. Definately getting new discs and pads.

Rich- Ferrodo DS2500.