ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Test Drive

Silver 172 PhII
I test drove a 197 yesterday from Renault London West. Me and the mrs turned up at about 11:15 am, the place was empty so I got to drive it for about 30-40 mins! I thought it was fantastic. To sum up (I own a 172 Ph2):

Good points:
* extrior styling looks 200% better in the flesh than the pictures on the web
* Very nice interior which feels much better and solid than my 172. I don't think this one will squeak and rattle!
* dash, dials, switches etc have a much nicer look/feel and the whole things shouts quality. Amazing for a Renault!
* Seats really glue you in. Shame they're not leather but they are nicer IMHO
* Driving position is much better. It couldn't be any worse!
* Love the gear box. The 6 ratios are obviuosly quite close meaninglots of changes but the noise when you change down is sweet and the box is slick
* Loads and loads and loads of grip. The guy told me to have fun on the roudabouts and boy did I!
* As it's a development of the 172/182 engine it's still got that rev happy feel with the 5k kick still there (just!)
* Steering is nicely weighted
* Start Button is a bit of fun!
* Brakes are excellent. It's like an anchor has been thrown out the boot.
* Still gave me a huge grin after I'd driven it!!
* A much more grown up car (this could be a good or bad point depending on your view)

Bad Points:
* Lacks the feel and involvement of the 172/182. A Cup it isn't. after I got back in my 172 I instatly realised why it is such an involving car. You don't have that seat of your pants feeling in the 197. If you want that, I'd wait for a Cup or Trophy version. You feel a bit isolated from the world where as in my 172 I feel like I'm connected to the road by my arms. Does that make sense to anyone except me? ;)
* Though I said the steering is nicely weighted it felt just a tad too light for my liking.
* Doesn't seem that much/any faster though on typically corwded roads I doubt you'd notice. Maybe on a track.
* Gear box is brilliant (see above) but changing up/down a lot could get to me. Maybe.

errrr.... that's about it for bad points.

So would I have one? YES! Overall I thought it was excellent and a real worthy successor to the 182. OK, so I only had 40 mins in the car and if I did buy one I'd want another test drive but my initial impression is that it's a solid car. My only concern is that it misses some of the essence of what made the 172/182 such brilliant cars. However, I think I could live with that.

Hope that helps some people thinking of the 197!

if nothing else, you have got more good points than bad points!

although...."A much more grown up car (this could be a good or bad point depending on your view)" a bad point in my view ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I looked a couple today in sunwins in Preston , black and racing blue . Still don't like the look of em tbh . They had a F1 Meggy in , now i'd have that , even with the stickers , lol .

Silver 172 PhII
polarbert said:
Doesn't sound like you were impressed with the seats if they couldn't be any worse.

Yeah, sorry, I should have made that clearer. What I meant was that the driving position in the 197 is very good and the seats are excellent. I don't like the driving position in the 172/182 and they would have had to have madee a major f**k up if the 197 was worse, IMHO.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
one thing I found with the 197 is that there is plenty of room for adjustments behind the wheel, i'm 6ft 3ins and its the first car I have ever driven where I can't drive it comfortably with the seat all the way back, plenty of head room front and back too. I wasn't impressed generally though, far too much £££ and IMHO it was getting chucked around a lot at anything over 50mph.

A nicer car than my 172, but that's just because its newer and doesn't justify £17.2K!!!