ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197-Traction Control

197, M3, Ronart + KTM etc
Hi fellow 197/200 drivers. Does anyone know how to permanently switch off the bl*%dy TC, without a hammer? I just don't like the 'ON' default status :dapprove: and I also don't like the seat belt buzzer, but guess that's easily resolved. I'll just /belt up.

PS. Have to laugh at the on going ‘Diffuser’ thread :lolup:. WGAF :mad: It looks good, finishes off the 197’s arse end and you have to ask, how many of these guy’s actually drive consistantly to the point where they become effective, anyway ;)

In fact, if you look closely at the new RS Focus, nearly all of the front and side plastic’s are for aesthetic effect only (not even perforated), so do you really think Renault are any different :eek:

R27
As far as i'm aware of it automatically comes back on when you reach a certain speed (think its about 30mph)

You can switch the TC off, but it automatically defaults to 'ON' the next time you drive it and that's what I want to resolve!

Swift Sport
I hate it too, I automatically switch it off every time nowadays without even thinking about it!

Black 197
Correct

Flick the switch next to the CC button. It will switch TC off for the entire length the car runs, As soon as you switch the engine off the cycle repeats itself i.e you have to press the button again on next start up.

There is no way to continuously have it disabled as its a safety feature regardless of how its deemed a pain in ass

It's like said you either get used to it and switch off like its second nature, Or turn it off when you feel like it

Me personally i leave it on, Not because i can't drive, I just dont drive like its stolen 24/7, Agreed it's a pain on roundabouts etc but tbh it never causes me any problems

Clio 1970000000
Why do you want to turn it off? Do you drive like a nutter all the time?

Just curious really.

Clio R27
I heard that if you press the button for 30secs or something like that it completly turns off, never tried it myself.

Black 197
I heard that if you press the button for 30secs or something like that it completly turns off, never tried it myself.

I highly doubt it tbh

Renault strive for safety so i doubt a safety featue of that nature would be able to be disabled permanently.

The only way around it would be to run an OMEX but thats much £££ !!

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
when you press and hold the esp button for 10 seconds all is does is stop you from turning it back on again untill while the engine is on. As soon as you stop the car and restart it the ESP is back on.

I still dont understand why you would want the esp off all the time its a great safety device for normal driving

I was hoping to hear about a remedy to switch off the TC permanently, without spending a fortune.

However, in response to some of the questions raised, yes, I do drive it quickly, all the time ;) and if you drive "normally", the ESP system won't even come in to play! As for the Traction Control, it limits the power transfered to the front wheels so much, especially in the lower gears, that I just don't like it :dapprove:. That's what your left foot is for.

These cars are designed with really good handling characteristics (with or without the aid of the rear diffuser) and don't need any electronics to hamper them :nono: Check out the 200's performance on the corners against the RS Focus, on u-Tube. No traction control on there :evil:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Is it really that much of a problem to switch it off everytime you go for a spirited drive? Hardly switch it off in the 182, have to being doing something seriously wrong for it to come on anyway (no idea what the 197s like though)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well you saw how i drove, don't think it come on then, generally only comes on if it's really slippy and stop the wheels spinning or if i go around a corner way way way to fast.

Was annoying when I did the trackday at Marham though.

Swift Sport
Well you saw how i drove, don't think it come on then, generally only comes on if it's really slippy and stop the wheels spinning or if i go around a corner way way way to fast.

It seems to be more intrusive with the 197 than I remember in my 172/182 days!

Suzuki Swift Sport
I leave mine on, I find with smooth driving (even when on the limit) it doesnt trigger much, only if I try to upset the balance of the car - even then I dont find it cuts in that badly. Unless your looking to do wheelspins or get the car into a huge drift I dont see the need to turn it off...

I hate it too, I automatically switch it off every time nowadays without even thinking about it!

+1

Was annoying when I did the trackday at Marham though.

Yes, the ESP comes on relatively late and I like it that, but when I'm racing ESP is always off.

You can notice the ESP cutting back the power when going from the rolling start in the third gear @ 3500rpm and then flooring it. It gives the car a shake back/forward...it happened to me a couple of times when I forgot to switch the ESP off...