ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Drive: Renaultsport Clio 197

insignia
The French manufacturer has a strong history of great hot hatches. The Clio Williams started it off in 1993 (or perhaps even earlier with the 5 Gordini), then successive 172 and 182 versions of the Clio 2 uprated the deal and despite the lack of the Williams grand prix associations, were more desirable still.Please click images below to enlarge:

Looks
Now the Clio 3 gets the full Renault Sport treatment and it works a treat. The bodywork is all rather subtle, and the lack of wings may disappoint the Max Power brigade. However, the closer you look, the more there is to lust over. The rear wings are ever-so-subtly flared to accommodate the wider track and the 17-inch multi-spoke alloys. At the front things are more aggressive, with much broader wings and a considerably wider stance to the front wheels. There is a bigger grille at the front and side skirts, of course, but two neat tricks really put the stamp on this Clio’s presence.

An air extractor vent is mounted in the trailing edge of each front wing, to draw hot air from the engine compartment and, apparently, to enhance the airflow alongside the car. Then at the rear, spoilers are pushed aside in favour of a Formula 1-style air diffuser built beneath the bumper. It creates a zone of low pressure under the car which sucks the car down to the road. At motorway speeds it effectively adds 40kg of downforce, and as much as 70kg on the race circuit. Apart from looking decidedly cool, unlike a rear wing it doesn’t add drag to compromise straight line performance.

Interior
The interior’s a bit of a treat too. Alloys pedals, a sports look to the instruments and chunky leather wheel, complete with red centre-point stitching. Recaro seats, with rigid clam-shell backing and holes for full harness belts are optional, and they really look the business. But then so do the regular sports seats specially designed for the Renault Sport models. They hold you firmly yet there is real comfort on offer too. Don’t forget that the Clio 3 has grown so much is stature that it will now happily seat four adults and take their luggage too.

Drivetrain
But all of this is mere gloss if the Clio Sport doesn’t do the business on the road or track. The first thing that hits you is the incredibly low gearing of the six-speed transmission. In sixth the road speed is just 19 miles an hour per thousand revs – at 70mph it’s spinning away at close to 4,000rpm, a seemingly absurdly high speed. It does mean that the ratios are incredibly close though, which means whipping up and down the gearbox is a driving style you rapidly adopt. It adds to the fun even though you are likely to occasionally, and embarrassingly, wrong slot until you get used to it.

European buyers call it the Clio Renault Sport 200, which sounds rather good to me, but they use PS rather than bhp. Either way, 197bhp is pretty spectacular in a supermini. With all that power extracted from just two-litres, with no turbocharger, it comes as no surprise that a good supply of revs are needed to extract the full dose. Peak power at 7,250 and torque maxing out at 5,550 are the sort of numbers we used to associate with Honda engines.

They mean that the Clio’s power unit needs to worked to the limit to maximise the possibilities but the results reward determination. 0-62mph is just 6.9 seconds, but the real joy is making the Clio sing along through the bends while continuously flicking up and down the gearbox. It’s quick, have no doubt about that, though a downside of so little torque at low revs is that this Clio can have trouble accelerating up a steep hill in second gear.

Driving
And then there is the chassis. Fabulous. Has Renault done its homework here or what? So much development work has gone into the new design of the double-axis strut system up front that this is as good as front wheel drive gets. The Clio turns into corners with extreme precision and sharpness. You can set the car up for corners with so much confidence that it will track precisely where you demand, you’ll quickly become a better driver than you ever dreamed.

Part of the trick is the optimisation of the ESP electronic stability programme. It allows the Clio Sport to move around in the corners enough to allow you to adjust its attitude on the throttle to a level I have not experience before with ESP. Of course there is still the safety net if you overdo it but so subtle is the operation there was never a hint of it interfering with the driver’s car control.

Torque steer, usually the plague of powerful front-drivers, is absent, and helped by specially developed asymmetrical Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres; there’s no wheel spin either. Switch the ESP off, which I did on the race track, and you can turn the benign Clio Sport into something rather lairy, but on the road there’s really no point. The electric power steering has been weighted up over the regular Clio, thank heavens, and feel is good if not great.

The Clio 3 is no lightweight and the Sport, at 1240kg complete with its full complement of airbags and climate control, is undoubtedly a bi porky. That’s the reason behind the low gearing, but no real excuse for the extraordinary din from the exhaust. At low roads speeds, at around 5,000rpm, the resonance inside is decidedly unpleasant. It seems to lessen at higher cruising speeds and oddly varies according to where you sit in the cabin. It sounds like a simple case of getting the exhaust and its mountings wrong; hopefully right-hand-drive cars will be better.

Verdict
The fact that the noise is the only real minus point about the Clio Sport 197 is a compliment to the sheer all-round success of the package. Exciting, fun, immensely rewarding on the right road and comfortable too, this is the new standard setter amongst hot hatchbacks.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
What a f**king shite review. The tosser clearly knows nothing. He says that the diffuser doesn't reduce straight line speed, which it does, which is why it has a lower top speed than the 182.

Then he says that it will be called the 200 abroad due to them using PS. Erm...it has 197ps = 194bhp. Not 197bhp

And you know with those 'engine coolers' your doors are gonna be really dirty.

And the t**t doesn't compare it to anything else. Not even its predecessor.

He doesn't even mention that it looks practically the same as the base models, and also looks like a Micra.

Leon Cupra R 225
It sounds like a good car need me a test drive tho to make up my own mind never read into any review on any car, unless its a national consensus that such an such is shite etc.

172 Cup
polarbert said:
Then he says that it will be called the 200 abroad due to them using PS. Erm...it has 197ps = 194bhp. Not 197bhp

To be fair Renault do quote it as 197hp (din) not Ps in their literature.

MKIII 138
polarbert said:
What a f**king sh*te review. The tosser clearly knows nothing. He says that the diffuser doesn't reduce straight line speed, which it does, which is why it has a lower top speed than the 182.

And you know with those 'engine coolers' your doors are gonna be really dirty.

And the tw*t doesn't compare it to anything else. Not even its predecessor.

He doesn't even mention that it looks practically the same as the base models, and also looks like a Micra.

i have to agree, im coming round to the looks honestly i think its not bad at all very subtle not OTT VXR type styling which should keep it out of the eyes of barryboys and more low key just like first 172 did.

but as for everything else your right. autocar have done a full test i read it today, they wouldnt critisize it and said it was a great handling car but at the end you just got out and it was like hey no big deal, i usually fall out of my cup when i get to work and my heart rate is about 10bpm higher than when i was driving my recent hire car an avensis..
its more grown up and as such they rekon has lost the crazyness of course with so many lefty rule makers out there it would be hard nowadays to produce a truely involving car that felt as scary as it did illicit to drive.

i want a koenigsegg CCR 850bhp

Trophy 265/500
Don't like the sound of the very short gearing. I thought that a 6 speed would make motorway cruising a little cheaper and quieter, but with those ratios I don't see the point. More power band yes, but lots more changes. Might be a bit too close for day to day use.

Still, I'll book a test drive when they hit the dealers to compare. The other half is flogging her GTI, so we're half looking at a bigger hatchback than the Trophy. Mebbe an ST or Meggy, but we can have a nosy of the 197 for a laugh.

MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
polarbert said:

To quote Pete from Big Bro...."Wanker"

The 197 is called such because on the continent it has 200PS....not the other way around you muppet....please remember its a French car not a UK car and as such the French called it the 197 even though it has 200PS which is what the Germans would call it...

Nissan 350Z
portland said:
Don't like the sound of the very short gearing. I thought that a 6 speed would make motorway cruising a little cheaper and quieter, but with those ratios I don't see the point. More power band yes, but lots more changes. Might be a bit too close for day to day use.

Its a hot hatch, not a motorway muncher.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
R8TDL said:
To quote Pete from Big Bro...."w*nker"

The 197 is called such because on the continent it has 200PS....not the other way around you muppet....please remember its a French car not a UK car and as such the French called it the 197 even though it has 200PS which is what the Germans would call it...

OOOOOOO touchy!!!!!

Trophy 265/500
pbirkett said:
Its a hot hatch, not a motorway muncher.

But I want it all. Sounds like it revs higher in top at motorway speeds than the Trophy, which is a let down. Do you never drive on motorways? Most of my weekday driving is a feast of country road thrashing. My weekend driving is sometimes more of the same, sometimes dull motorway tedium, and I need a car to be abe to deal with that too.

The target market for the 197 will not have it as a second car to blast through Derbyshire on the weekend, it has to do it all.

Very close gearing can be a drawback. It can keep you in the power better, but you're going to be changing an awful lot if you're going twisty, short straight, twisty, short straight. While you're changing gear, you're not putting any power to the wheels at all and this offsets the better banding. Although the CTR has it's drawbacks, the gearbox is a big plus.

For the roads I tend to drive on, ultra close gearing like this without a sequential box would be a pain in the arse.