ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 vs 182?

Lionel Richie
i figured out the other day how much a track day actually costs me, i cried!

2 x R888 - £200
0.5 x front pads - £160
fuel - £100
broken bits and consumables £100

plus the day itself, i'm around £500-£600 for a day out :(

but then i remembered its "advertising" - company can pay then ;)

Glacier White Clio 197
but Karting doesn't HAVE to cost that.

and you can always do trackdays on the cheap.

but if you used to race 'professionally' you WILL be pushing the car hard and want to start modding it here and there. Trackdays are NOT a cheap hobby in any way shape or form if you do alot of them. (2 or more a month for example)

I easily spend more than 10k on trackdays and car matinence and mods a year. EASILY! But I do ALOT!

No it doesn't but to do what i was doing that was pretty much it, thats without hotel costs and the van we had. Also i started doing a few european races. Its why we packed it in, it was just getting crazy. You can't really do karting on a budget, lol.

I wouldn't be doing trackdays twice a month, probably once a month, maybe less to start off with as most of the money/time will be going into changing the car. If i wanted to do trackdays properly once a week I'd probably do some kind of proper car racing championship, but its not really what I'm wanting. I'd also be sharing some of the costs with my younger brother who used to race karts too.

I just want a raw project car, and a normal car to runaround in. The 197 isn't as much fun as i thought it would be on the road, you can't push it/drive hard due to a) the amount of idiots on the road b) and lovely police men sat in speed vans. Its not really worth having a fast car for road use in my opinion, I've kindof come to terms with it.

Its an awesome car, but for day-to-day use it isn't practical. I hate taking it out to the shops or whatever due to people not giving a s**t in carparks and ramming their doors into you or keying you car. It spends most of its time on the drive! lol

White clique
Sounds like you have made your mind up which is good. I kind of agree with you, a 197 is too good a car to ruin for the sake of a few track days, its still a great track car prospect IMO but as a second car / project car, not as a main use car. I say this from the unbiased opinion of being a loyal 172, 182 and 197 owner.

Just out of interest - have you tracked the 197 as is? Just to take it to the limit?

Any ideas what you want as your second kick about town car?? I mean, you can pick up a 172 for a pittance these days!!!

260% JCW
Thats ok, maybe time for bed if you are tired?

Heres a nice website that lists track times for a variety of cars around a list of tracks. To be kind, i have filtered it to Renaults. Its interesting to see that 197s and 200s feature faster than 182s in many cases.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/makes/Renault.html

Sorry matey but your nice little web site is utter crap, you may have filtered it to Renaults but did you actually use the compare function? If you had bothered to use it you would have found that there are no lap times to compre the 197 against the 182 on that web site. Nice try though.

Also your Top gear search was pish too, The 182 posted a 1.33.8 where as the Clio Mk3 face lift with 200 bhp (Im guessing the RS Clio 200) posted a 1.34.0 (yes only .2 of a sec) These were all site's you've quoted.

It baffles me how you fail to realise this is a 197 vs 182 discussion, not a 182 vs 197 vs 200 vs 911 vs anything else you'd like to dream up.

Much love xxx

White clique
Sorry matey but your nice little web site is utter crap, you may have filtered it to Renaults but did you actually use the compare function? If you had bothered to use it you would have found that there are no lap times to compre the 197 against the 182 on that web site. Nice try though.

Also your Top gear search was pish too, The 182 posted a 1.33.8 where as the Clio Mk3 face lift with 200 bhp (Im guessing the RS Clio 200) posted a 1.34.0 (yes only .2 of a sec) These were all site's you've quoted.

It baffles me how you fail to realise this is a 197 vs 182 discussion, not a 182 vs 197 vs 200 vs 911 vs anything else you'd like to dream up.

Much love xxx

lines 320, 328 and 357

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track7.html

i've not mentioned 200, blame brown bear, i mentioned porsche as he was saying you a 197 is crap on a track as its too heavy (so i mentioned the porsche weighs more than even a 197 but is still a great track car).

Bye for now.