ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1992 1.8 16v overheaing

clio 172/Fabia vRS
Hi guys

Just thought I'd check. A friend of mine has an old 1.8 16v (1992) and it keeps overheating. She say the garage have drained all the fluid and it was ok for a little while but its doing it again. Does anyone have any ideas as she's quite cute and I want to impress her.

Ta.

clio 172/Fabia vRS
1ftnay55tu_155196004.jpg

FINE!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Firstly, bad time to be sat on the sofa next to the missus viewing CS... pictures of strange women appearing on my screen set off alarms in my house.
Initial thoughts on the problem would be Air lock if someone has recently been playing with the coolant circuit. If the system is right it starts to get more serious such as possible water pump failure (Though they tend to be very reliable) and maybe a blockage or head gasket failure.

Things to check:

Coolant level (Cold) - Is it between MIN - MAX?
Heater Temp - Does it blow warm/hot air?
Temp gauge - Does it rise steadily and without any jumping up and down?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Forgot to add that the expansion caps on the coolant resevoir can fail after time to.... this can cause over heating as the system pressure leaks out the top so the coolant doesn't flow correctly. Check the above first though - Can give me a call tomorrow if needs be on 07807-190657 if you need tech support.

Mick

had the same problem on my old valver after the first month or so of owning the car.It turned out to be a blocked heater matrix behind the dash, stuck a hose pipe on one of the stubs and blew the blockage out(thick orange sludge came out)never had the problem again after that

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What was it and have you hung out the back of her because of it?

clio 172/Fabia vRS
She took it to a garage before I had chance to look. From what i hear it was some kind of blockage. And to answer your other question.....Yup :)