ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1M Akrapovic/baller/lease baller/my c*ck is bigger than your c*ck thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Z4
Re: 1M Akrapovic

The 1M is a good looker, but that's where the attraction ends for me unfortunately.
Everyone harps on about how 'special' it is. Is it though? Exclusive, yes, and there are man points available for that, but it's not special as such.

Did BMW put the revvy S54 engine anything other than the e46 M3? No.
Did BMW put the V8 S65 engine in any of their 'lesser' cars? No.
Did BMW put the N54 used in the 1M in anything else? Yes, lots.

That disappoints me. And so does the soundtrack. It sounds distinctly average, it doesn't hold a candle to any M car I can think of in terms of acoustics tbh!

I would much rather drive around in a far less exclusive e90 M3 with a naughty exhaust, it has far more character, far more urm..special.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I thought it was all about how it felt, the fact that it positively urges you to go sideways through every kink in the road, is a proper hooligan etc.

I don't recall that being written about the latest few iterations of M3.

Sideways isn't faster! You of all people should know that!

I'd rather have a 1M over an M3 if i'm honest. Sounds naff? Compared with the old V8, I think that's a given. I prefer that small squat wide look, M3 looks long and softer. Look at the residuals Ali. Set of Eibachs, some exhaust work. Special little car.

Your V6 has s**t seats as standard, sometimes you need to utilise options, fact is only 1% of buyers would probably want sexy hard seats, same with the exhaust, built to suit masses.

Most cars now sound s**t as standard, we had this discussion earlier in the thread, or another thread about standard exhaust systems being more mute.

Wasn't talking about modified seats, the OEM seats in the 1M are lousy! Non-supportive. Then again the 1M was significantly cheaper than the E9X

The chap with 41,000 posts is worrying about wasting 5 minutes? <3 Scotland. ;)

About 100 in the last 3 years boyo! Calm yoursel.

The 1M is a good looker, but that's where the attraction ends for me unfortunately.
Everyone harps on about how 'special' it is. Is it though? Exclusive, yes, and there are man points available for that, but it's not special as such.

Did BMW put the revvy S54 engine anything other than the e46 M3? No.
Did BMW put the V8 S65 engine in any of their 'lesser' cars? No.
Did BMW put the N54 used in the 1M in anything else? Yes, lots.

That disappoints me. And so does the soundtrack. It sounds distinctly average, it doesn't hold a candle to any M car I can think of in terms of acoustics tbh!

I would much rather drive around in a far less exclusive e90 M3 with a naughty exhaust, it has far more character, far more urm..special.

S54 I'd common to the Z4M. But I completely agree with what you're saying.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

You cannot compare that V8 to the Turbo'd 6. If the E92 had been built when the 1M was it wouldn't be running a V8.

The new M3 is running the same motor as the 1M, does it detract from the car? Harris certainly doesn't think so.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I do know that!

Since when has engagement with a driver's car had anything at all to do with how fast you or it are going?

Course it does...Being engaged with the car starts from the moment you turn the key. It's the feeling through the wheel and the seat. For me that covers 30mph - 130mph. The M3 gives a lot more confidence at speed, believe me, I've driven both, hard!

You cannot compare that V8 to the Turbo'd 6. If the E92 had been built when the 1M was it wouldn't be running a V8.

The new M3 is running the same motor as the 1M, does it detract from the car? Harris certainly doesn't think so.

It's not just the motor Kev. Although I doubt there will ever be motors like the 4.0 V8, the 6.2 V8 from Merc and the 5.0 V10 from Audi...It is sad that we have to go down the Turbo route. C'est la vie.

lol @ Harris being the voice of reason!...nuff said!

Listerine & Poledo

can *&^% off.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, MS sans serif]sure, I'm very green-faced about his job, but everyone goes on as if he's actually a motoring jesus, sent to show us all the way. He's not, he's a motoring journalist, and that, by definition, means he'll get bigger jobs for being as flattering as possible.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, MS sans serif]You can bet your bottom dollar that if Dacia suddenly opened a complex in the Caribbean and had some spare villas available, the Duster would be the greatest hot hatch of all time. [/FONT]

Z4

S54 I'd common to the Z4M. But I completely agree with what you're saying.

True, and the e36 M3 and z3 M. My point was it's been reserved specifically for the M range!

Lol sorry, why can't they be compared?
They're both M cars of similar value, surely they're very comparable.

I don't rate the N54 engine, I don't care what Harris says, its not as responsive as its former NA older brothers, makes a dull sound, and just doesn't excite in the same way.
The 1m is being hailed for its exclusivity and specialness when in actual fact, it's a regurgitated bmw parts bin. It's by no means a bad car it's awesome, but I just don't see how the special card works for this one. Theyre far less special than most other M cars that have graced us, but they didn't make very many of them so they get god like praise.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Turn your volume up! Keep your Turbo lump! (40sec in!)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Classic mini P 996

I had a e92 M3 for nearly 8 months loved it but the engine was lacking low down grunt i felt i needed to be doing silly speeds to feel alive in it and out of the box the M3 is lacking in exhaust note its the induction that is the best bit! :), the 1M has that low down grunt and point to point its just "fun" i love the look and sound of the M3 but like most have said its a different car its heavy/feels big compared to the hot hatch size 1 and the fact its got huge tuning potential can see a healthy 400+Bhp and more torque, its a nice package with the N54 lump, i can't think of any other engine that would have suited it from BMW??

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

True, and the e36 M3 and z3 M. My point was it's been reserved specifically for the M range!

Lol sorry, why can't they be compared?
They're both M cars of similar value, surely they're very comparable.

I don't rate the N54 engine, I don't care what Harris says, its not as responsive as its former NA older brothers, makes a dull sound, and just doesn't excite in the same way.
The 1m is being hailed for its exclusivity and specialness when in actual fact, it's a regurgitated bmw parts bin. It's by no means a bad car it's awesome, but I just don't see how the special card works for this one. Theyre far less special than most other M cars that have graced us, but they didn't make very many of them so they get god like praise.

Is it not a case of, as with the Fiesta ST, the whole being far greater than the sum of the parts?

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

In 25 years time the 1M will be held in the same regard as an E30 M3 Evo is today. A E90 M3 won't. Parts bin specials will always be more special, they have the feeling of something that shouldn't have been built, but was just to please petrol heads. Hell we even have our own on here in the V6!

The game moves on. It's like people in the 80's wanting to hang on to carb engines as fuel injection will never sound the same. There are 370bhp 3 litre Diesel engines in production cars these days for god sake, 10 years a go 200bhp from one was ground breaking. We'll soon have hybrid M cars, I'm all for it. Times change, stuff gets better.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
1M Akrapovic

I can't believe you got in there with the V6 point before me! Toff!

Each to their own. Personally I find the 1M to be far more special than the E92 M3, and a hundred times more challenging to drive fast. If I'd wanted the M3 I'd have bought one. Could have had two in fact. Lol.

Last edited:
  Z4

I had a e92 M3 for nearly 8 months loved it but the engine was lacking low down grunt i felt i needed to be doing silly speeds to feel alive in it and out of the box the M3 is lacking in exhaust note its the induction that is the best bit! :), the 1M has that low down grunt and point to point its just "fun" i love the look and sound of the M3 but like most have said its a different car its heavy/feels big compared to the hot hatch size 1 and the fact its got huge tuning potential can see a healthy 400+Bhp and more torque, its a nice package with the N54 lump, i can't think of any other engine that would have suited it from BMW??

I agree on the exhaust front, too tame from the box. Once unrestricted though has a beautiful V8 soundtrack!
You may be surprised to hear that they're actually very similar in weight, barely anything between them. It is of course smaller, though.
You're right, BMW don't have a better fitting engine, maybe they should have made one especially like they did with the other M cars?

In 25 years time the 1M will be held in the same regard as an E30 M3 Evo is today. A E90 M3 won't. Parts bin specials will always be more special, they have the feeling of something that shouldn't have been built, but was just to please petrol heads. Hell we even have our own on here in the V6!

The game moves on. It's like people in the 80's wanting to hang on to carb engines as fuel injection will never sound the same. There are 370bhp 3 litre Diesel engines in production cars these days for god sake, 10 years a go 200bhp from one was ground breaking. We'll soon have hybrid M cars, I'm all for it. Times change, stuff gets better.

I don't disagree at all, however it's unfounded greatness IMO. If BMW make anything limited production and it's half decent it's always going to be remembered as brilliant. I'm all for evolution, the N54 has a good place in the market and does everything it's supposed to well (maybe not reliability), but for now I'd rather praise the soon to be extinct V8 as we'll all be driving around in smaller displacement boosted cars soon.

I don't think it should be compared to the vee however. I get your point, but the vee is utterly bonkers in every detail, the 1m is essentially a 135 with a body kit.

I take it you've driven one?

In the interest of fairness and balance, I think the E92 M3 sounds absolutely sh*te.

It doesn't.

Not special because it isn't a French hatchback.

Does anyone on here drive clios anymore?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Loads of special cars share engines! Total moot point! You're holding on to the good ol days. Are you saying there will never be another great M car?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

I'll tell you in a few weeks when I drive the new M4! (Which I'm sure will be epic!)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra

I'll tell you in a few weeks when I drive the new M4! (Which I'm sure will be epic!)

I've requested an F80 M3 for a 24 hour test.

Still awaiting a finance quote though.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Parts bin specials will always be more special, they have the feeling of something that shouldn't have been built, but was just to please petrol heads.

Agree. oh to be a fly on the wall in the design/engineering departments:

Hans in Engineering: "Ya, we vant to fit zee e92 m3 axle ya"
Yurgen in Design: "Nein Hans, it vont fit in zee bodyshell"
Hans in Engineering: "Yurgen, dont worry, just make zee arches bigger ya? Schnell schnell"

bmw-1m-rear.jpg

Im sorry, but that is just p**n.

7139581467_089c3c03b8_o-1-1.jpg

Z4

It sounds like a V8 that hasn't hit puberty yet. If anything AMG pulled up next to me, my balls would shrink. All IMO of course.

[video=youtube_share;KCZx29SfZTE]http://youtu.be/KCZx29SfZTE[/video]

Certainly sounds like it's got hair on its balls to me.
Something like a C63 AMG is on another level admittedly (when are you getting yours?) but an e90 M with a fruity exhaust isn't a million miles off.

[video=youtube_share;VMwlMmr9bUo]http://youtu.be/VMwlMmr9bUo[/video]

Sorry Roy. Lovely Car. I'm out

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Agree. oh to be a fly on the wall in the design/engineering departments:

Hans in Engineering: "Ya, we vant to fit zee e92 m3 axle ya"
Yurgen in Design: "Nein Hans, it vont fit in zee bodyshell"
Hans in Engineering: "Yurgen, dont worry, just make zee arches bigger ya? Schnell schnell"

Im sorry, but that is just p**n.

7139581467_089c3c03b8_o-1-1.jpg

I lolled a lot at that!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Having driven one of these Yesterday, all I can say is Yes I want one.. It is a special car, going down the street you have people looking at it, I stopped at a junction and had some guy take a picture.. Everything about the car feels right, the interior is a great place to be seating position is superb (For me at least). Pushing on it feels stable, but put a foot out of line and it wouldn't think twice about putting you in the nearest ditch! (Maybe my driving :rasp:)

The looks are imo are amazing, it looks aggressive from every angle, the wide arches etc! They sound great as they are, but with a few tweeks to the standard system, it releases a bit more sound/grunt while keeping it nice and refined..

Id keep it as is Roy and put the Money from the Akrapovic toward some unleaded :race:

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

Having driven one of these Yesterday, all I can say is Yes I want one.. It is a special car, going down the street you have people looking at it, I stopped at a junction and had some guy take a picture.. Everything about the car feels right, the interior is a great place to be seating position is superb (For me at least). Pushing on it feels stable, but put a foot out of line and it wouldn't think twice about putting you in the nearest ditch! (Maybe my driving :rasp:)

The looks are imo are amazing, it looks aggressive from every angle, the wide arches etc! They sound great as they are, but with a few tweeks to the standard system, it releases a bit more sound/grunt while keeping it nice and refined..

Id keep it as is Roy and put the Money from the Akrapovic toward some unleaded :race:

Lies! You don't ever "push on" lol.

Z4

[video=youtube_share;99cUdMdPoLI]http://youtu.be/99cUdMdPoLI[/video]
Pissed myself at the wording of their summary at the end!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

[video=youtube_share;KCZx29SfZTE]http://youtu.be/KCZx29SfZTE[/video]

Certainly sounds like it's got hair on its balls to me.
Something like a C63 AMG is on another level admittedly (when are you getting yours?) but an e90 M with a fruity exhaust isn't a million miles off.

[video=youtube_share;VMwlMmr9bUo]http://youtu.be/VMwlMmr9bUo[/video]

Sorry Roy. Lovely Car. I'm out

All that because I disagreed with you? At no point did I say your opinion was wrong, I just said that mine is that it doesn't sound good for a V8. End.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Glad you decided against the exhaust.

and I always lol when I hear an M3 (normally just before I overtake it) at how tinny that V8 sounds.

im tempted by an M4, but the video on the autoexpress website against the c63 put me off, the engine sound isn't great (stupid fake speaker sound again) and the immediacy when you put your foot down just isn't there apparently. Still want to test drive one though.

Anyway, fan of the 1M, nearly bought one myself, do too many miles though, needs to be a second car really.

David you can't buy an M4. It doesn't have a V8, and is therefore instantly s**t before one has even sat in it.

Lionel Richie

I fitted a catback akra to my mates 1M with the wireless kit, its epic, but at £5.5K you need DEEP pockets, that's outrageous for some tubes and a bit of carbon!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member

5.5k?!?!?

That's an epic 2/3 week jaunt in Europe in the car! Certainly know where my money would go.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Glad you decided against the exhaust.

and I always lol when I hear an M3 (normally just before I overtake it) at how tinny that V8 sounds.

im tempted by an M4, but the video on the autoexpress website against the c63 put me off, the engine sound isn't great (stupid fake speaker sound again) and the immediacy when you put your foot down just isn't there apparently. Still want to test drive one though.

Anyway, fan of the 1M, nearly bought one myself, do too many miles though, needs to be a second car really.

Dream on. The SLK is slower than the M3 to 60, 100 and around the ring.

Tinny...Are you sure you're not talking about the E46 M3? Which indeed, was tinny.

Status
Not open for further replies.