ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

-1sec Off 1/4 Mile - How Much

R

rich[182]

If you took a standard 172 and raced a 172 which was 1 sec quicker to 1/4 mile does anyone know or can they work out what difference this is in terms of how many car lengths is the standard car trail by when the modded 172 reaches 1/4 mile ?

1sec doesnt sound much but am I right in thinking 2 car lengths-ish ???

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

About that I did a 15.8 racing my mate in his 1.6 clio who got a 16.8 he was about 2-3 car lengths back.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, 1 sec doesnt sound much, but on the strip its a fair old gap...

Sure someone can do the maths and tell you the actual distance!

if a car runs 15 seconds and 1 is 1 second behind it then its about 1/16th then take into acount its goin faster at end so 1/30 of quarter mile ie 12m.... I would hve thought at about 80-90mph 1 second is more than a couple of car lengths?

Since your talking about a standard 172, and a "tuned" 172 thats 1 second quicker down the strip, it would be somewhere in the region of 35m behind

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by m@thew on 02 December 2003

problem working this out is that acceleration is not uniform
Then theres the difference in terminal speeds, reaction time, etc...

I raced Nic (other half of chris n nic) and although she crossed the line just in front of me, I got a slightly better time.

Theres no hard & fast rule here!

thought about this and assuming you set of at the same time hows this possible"
"I raced Nic (other half of chris n nic) and although she crossed the line just in front of me, I got a slightly better time."

Someone please explain

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 02 December 2003

better reaction time
Not in this case...

Nic had a quicker reaction time, I got a slightly faster run time, but then she got a faster terminal speed!

Just so many factors to take into consideration!!!

exactly what i said

she got a better reaction time, in other words was off the line 1st

terminal speed doesnt seem to make much difference at the end of a run, as the gains are happening in such small amounts

me vs fred @ york in july

Reaction - fred 0.869 me 1.196
60ft - fred 2.540 me 2.551
1/8 ET - fred 11.508 me 11.470
1/8 mph - fred 59.49 me 59.38
1/4 ET - fred 18.098 me 18.062
1/4 mph - fred 74.22 me 73.49

fred crossed the line 1st, and at no point was i travelling quicker than him in terms of mph, but gearchanges seem to make all the difference on the 1.4 mile, which is why i posted a better 1/4 ET