ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200+break

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
197 engine is 99% idential when powergraph overlaid over std 182...

the extra bhp is right at the top of the power band... above 6000 rpm it holds onto the torque better and therethore has more bhp at the top...

torque is almost exactly the same throughout...

its why the 197 in std trim doesnt feel fast.. except when you thrash it at the top of the revs...

shame. as the chassis is capable of so much more.

M

mini-valver

3k would get you a cam install and headwork. If you already have breathing mods (decent exhaust and filter set-up) then you'd hit 200.

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
When i had my clio 172 with sealed induction kit powercat and exhaust it made 179 on rollers took it to Ernie Larton at LAD motorsport he said with headwork at £1250 it would make about 200bhp.But i got a r26 instead

M

mini-valver

LAD headwork for £1250?? LOL! You might aswell wipe your arse with 20's for the good it would do.

david hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I know the 172/182 head is cnc machined at the factory but they had a clio cup and car and car conversion tested it and they said you could tell the difference , cant comment myself thou

Clio Sport 172 ph1
Jacko, I see we have same goals, so few words about my project.
I started from little things, Green air filter fitted to oryginal box, Brisk spark plugs. Then there was (till now a controversive buy) a pair of CatCams 421 witch I still paln to use :)
After that I went for a stamped RS inlet mani, and 4-2-1 exhaust mani from 182 Clio
Thats about all I could think of to spec up my car.

Things moved on a week ago when I fitted the RS stamped manifold, I didn't like it the way it came to me so I took the matter in to my own hands and gave it a Dremel treatment ;) It took me few hours to make it better, now ports are almost 1mm (sorry for metric system) wider, and they shine like dog's b****cks (pardon my french)
When fitted, looks like this (I'm sure You've seen that many times)

Any way, when fitted, I checked if the ports match and to my suprise the is another 1mm to take (on upper inlet wall) to match the head ports.
Difference to the standard car is massive !! A lot better in low and I once noted the car to spin wheels just after I reached 5k rpm SWEET :) and thats only after one modification.
Next in line is new polished throttle body (with that I plan to match all the inlet manifold ports, throttle to upper part, upper to lower, and lower to head ports) and RSTuner Pro kit, hopefully I'll play with it next week, so there will be a RR printout that things are going in the right way.

My own "Stage2" will be fitting 4-2-1 exhaust manifold along with the CatCams I mentioned (I plan to use original ECU and I hope with RSTuner, Henks help and few of my friends it will be possible)
Thats about it for my plan 200+ What it will give we'll se :)

Reason I talk about it is simple, everyone is talking about headwork, but is there someone that can honestly say what to do with it ? Any explanation will do, cause from what I've heard its best not to touch the head. It can be very tricky if You do.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
ebay will be the best way to start Your search.
As I wrote it's not fully matched yet, but it will be soon.
Just never realized that the inlets in the head are so big ;)

Clio 172 Cup
Jacko, I see we have same goals, so few words about my project.
I started from little things, Green air filter fitted to oryginal box, Brisk spark plugs. Then there was (till now a controversive buy) a pair of CatCams 421 witch I still paln to use :)
After that I went for a stamped RS inlet mani, and 4-2-1 exhaust mani from 182 Clio
Thats about all I could think of to spec up my car.

Things moved on a week ago when I fitted the RS stamped manifold, I didn't like it the way it came to me so I took the matter in to my own hands and gave it a Dremel treatment ;) It took me few hours to make it better, now ports are almost 1mm (sorry for metric system) wider, and they shine like dog's b****cks (pardon my french)
When fitted, looks like this (I'm sure You've seen that many times)

Any way, when fitted, I checked if the ports match and to my suprise the is another 1mm to take (on upper inlet wall) to match the head ports.
Difference to the standard car is massive !! A lot better in low and I once noted the car to spin wheels just after I reached 5k rpm SWEET :) and thats only after one modification.
Next in line is new polished throttle body (with that I plan to match all the inlet manifold ports, throttle to upper part, upper to lower, and lower to head ports) and RSTuner Pro kit, hopefully I'll play with it next week, so there will be a RR printout that things are going in the right way.

My own "Stage2" will be fitting 4-2-1 exhaust manifold along with the CatCams I mentioned (I plan to use original ECU and I hope with RSTuner, Henks help and few of my friends it will be possible)
Thats about it for my plan 200+ What it will give we'll se :)

Reason I talk about it is simple, everyone is talking about headwork, but is there someone that can honestly say what to do with it ? Any explanation will do, cause from what I've heard its best not to touch the head. It can be very tricky if You do.

dont want to be the bearer of bad news but i dont think that you can run 421 cat cams for the clio on a standard ecu cos the overlap time can not be calculated within the ecu parameters i runs past the values that it can calculate for.

Clio Sport 172 ph1
dont want to be the bearer of bad news but i dont think that you can run 421 cat cams for the clio on a standard ecu cos the overlap time can not be calculated within the ecu parameters i runs past the values that it can calculate for.

Thats why I wrote it's a controversive buy ;) along with me wanting to go with standard ECU. I know its not the best match for those Cams, but then again OMEX ECU is in plans fot next year or even later.
Any way, I'll try to make the most out of those cams and ecu, ist a lot easier if You can play on site with the ECU (and thats where RSTuner comes in handy).

Nippy white cup
If I were you (original poster) I wouldn't get hung up on reaching a certain BHP....there are a few people with typical mods (manifold, induction/decat/exhaust,remap) on Cups that seem to get 190+...to me it just seems to get that extra 5-10 bhp to reach the 'magical' 200bhp it costs a fair bit more cash...

Chris

arctic 182 black wheels
infenowen's 172 had gdi itb's, cams, omex stand alone ecu and staight thu exhaust and stuff plus full stripped out interior leaving only 2 lightweight racing seats. his was rr'd at 222bhp 179 lb/ft of torque

1 of 19 Recaro'd 182 Cups

the extra bhp is right at the top of the power band... above 6000 rpm it holds onto the torque better and therethore has more bhp at the top...

its why the 197 in std trim doesnt feel fast.. except when you thrash it at the top of the revs...

What are the differances between the 182 and the 197 engine, surely you could just make these changes to the engine and have 194bhp then add filter and de-cat etc for 200bhp?

ITB'd MK1

What are the differances between the 182 and the 197 engine, surely you could just make these changes to the engine and have 194bhp then add filter and de-cat etc for 200bhp?

lots of bits. head, pistons, I suspect cams (though I've not clocked them up) inlet and exhaust manifolds, and sequential ignition are all different. 197 runs constantly variable inlet cam timing, where 172/182 runs a straight switched phase shifter. In short, it's more than is practical to just switch across and expect it to work. and to be honest, you'll only get gains right at the top of the range from that anyway. Oh and 194 is optomistic. 185 is closer to the truth.

Subscribed! :approve:

Would really like more information about camming and throttle bodying a 172 as I have future plans for this but don't really know what is involved lol

What would be the wildest cams to use but wouldn't be to bad as a daily driver? Is GDI bringing out a New ITB package soon as I've heard rumours... lol Are there certain routes I should take like getting cams first then ITBs or best to try and save and get it all done at once.

Thanks

ITB'd MK1
Our 172/182 ITB kit is already available :) it's the 197 kit that's in development

you can do it either way round, but probably doing the bodies and ECU then upgrade to cams and do a re-map is the most logical if you know you'll do both. There's other options though, best to give us a call really :)

well the car i'm looking at needs its 36k belt doing so would I save some money by getting cams then aswell as the belt? headwork, remap, manifold etc...

ITB'd MK1
well the car i'm looking at needs its 36k belt doing so would I save some money by getting cams then aswell as the belt? headwork, remap, manifold etc...

sounds like you're after a decent amount doing, there's always a saving if you do things in combinations. Cams at same time as cambelt for example.

sounds like you're after a decent amount doing, there's always a saving if you do things in combinations. Cams at same time as cambelt for example.

well I plan to buy one next year in feb when im 21 and insurance isn't to bad and i've got some savings stashed away for a rainy day lol I'm not going to be to fussed about what gains it produces aslong as it nice to drive and you can feel the extra power of Cams/ITBs and not feel dissapointed. would I be looking in the ballpark of around £5k for ITBs, cams, headwork, remap, manifold? what else could be done before I start spending stupid money lol or thinking about buying a turbo! Want to keep it N/A preferrably and don't mind spending around £5k on it. Including Coilovers, brakes etc