ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 Cup making strange noise when changing gear

Clio 200 Cup
I picked up my new 200 Cup about a month ago. Since completing the running in period I have found that the car makes a funny noise when I change gear above 5000rpm.

Its hard to describe but its kind of like something keeps spinning when the revs drop, a bit like spinning something around a pencil really fast. The noise lasts for maybe half a second and certainly doesnt sound terminal.

Has anybody else experienced the same thing?

I'd take it back to the dealer to sort it out but I'm not keen on having some Renault Tech thrash my car up and down the road to 'investigate' the noise.

Nissan 350z
Is it different to the noise you get if you come off the accelerator and let the car continue moving at slow speeds?

Personally i wouldnt worry about it. If something breaks or stops working then take it in and get it fixed under warranty otherwise just enjoy it instead of worrying :)

Clio 200 Cup
I'm not so much worried about the noise as intrigued to know what it is.

I can make it 'do' the noise by revving in neutral past 5000rpm and release the throttle suddenly - you get an odd noise that just sounds out of place. Doesnt happen when you let the car roll on at low speeds no.

Reve to the beep and go for the next gear....done :)

2003 Clio 172
I'm not so much worried about the noise as intrigued to know what it is.

I can make it 'do' the noise by revving in neutral past 5000rpm and release the throttle suddenly - you get an odd noise that just sounds out of place. Doesnt happen when you let the car roll on at low speeds no.

Reve to the beep and go for the next gear....done :)

Oooh, a beep......thats far better that the green light fiasco in mine

:)

J

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Standard. There's a few theories. Possibly a slightly loose cover on the mount on the left side of the engine, also some think it's to do with the acoustic valve. Discussed a few times on 197.net. Mine's done it from new, nothing to worry about.

Clio 200 Cup
Standard. There's a few theories. Possibly a slightly loose cover on the mount on the left side of the engine, also some think it's to do with the acoustic valve. Discussed a few times on 197.net. Mine's done it from new, nothing to worry about.

Thats reassuring, actually the acoustic valve would make sense.

Ly 230 meg & Ph2 172
i have a small noise which last maybe a second changing gear at high revs !!! sounds like it is comming from just right of the gearbox me and a mate have scanned the under side of the car but cant find anything ? his 197 also does it ! we have put it down to a join in the exhaust which we have found down from the cat which opens slighty when u change gear at high revs due to the preassure !!!
just a theorie !

Clio RS200
Very old thread but if anyone is still reading mine does the same 5k revs or above... Hopefully is nothing serious I just assumed the clutch maybe isn't as fast enough to match the revs resulting in an odd noise?