ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2000rpm flat spot when cold.....

Clio RS172
Hi, before i joined this forum i noticed a few posts on Pistonheads where RS172 owners mentioned that their cars ran terribly when cold.....

I wouldnt say mine runs terribly, but there is a big flat spot at 2000/2300rpm when the engine is cold, more noticable in 3rd and 4th gear..... Is this normal on these cars?

Black Sheep
This question gets asked a lot. I find it confusing. The engine is never going to perform " good " when cold. Shouldnt be putting the engine under strain till it heats up a little bit at least.

I dont get in my car on a frosty morning... and start red lining it. Then wonder why there seems to be an odd flat spot at 2000 rpm. Sorry to sound like an arse but its true.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
who said the car was being put under load or red lined? a car can have a flat spot at any rpm/load.

they do usually have odd flat spots for the first 30-60 seconds but should be fine after that, ambient temperature usually makes it better/worse

Clio RS172
I don't think you'll find selecting 3rd and 4th gear at 2000rpm as red lining the car. But i'll use 2500 and maybe upto 3000rpm whilst i'm running the car upto temp and there is a totaly noticable, hesitation in the cars ability to rev/drive smoothly at 2000-2300rpm when cold. I would say it stops or certainly is not as pronounced once warm.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
UBER BUMP!

Have noticed now I'm used to the car that i have this issue.

1st gear pulls off then is pretty much flat after 2k. Unless you floor it like a d!ck which isn't wise.
2nd gear pulls well throughout
3rd and above are ok once you hit 4500-5k. Before this its pretty much a normal car.

Is this the main reason for an RS tuner map or is it an issue otherwise diagnosed?
Also is it normal or am I in need of a fix?

Cheers.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I woul
UBER BUMP!

Have noticed now I'm used to the car that i have this issue.

1st gear pulls off then is pretty much flat after 2k. Unless you floor it like a d!ck which isn't wise.
2nd gear pulls well throughout
3rd and above are ok once you hit 4500-5k. Before this its pretty much a normal car.

Is this the main reason for an RS tuner map or is it an issue otherwise diagnosed?
Also is it normal or am I in need of a fix?

Cheers.

I wouldn't worry about it. Remap will sort it but its there for a reason. After a fee minutes it should heat up

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
mine lacks power sometimes im gonna look at injectors next like its running lean sometimes

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 182, i'd drive about 500 metres, would get to a hill, some days if it was really cold, would it bugger even let me accelerate to get up there. Had to just crawl up uber slow, by the time was at the top, maybe 300 metres would be fine.