ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 CLIO 172FF IRRATIC IDLING

I was wandering if anyone knew what could be wrong with my we clio.

Its a 2002 172FF with 50,000 miles and when sitting in traffic late this afternoon my car idle suddenly went mad

Funny thing is my car was fine this morning, i went out for a blast (up to 120-130 on my private runway) and it was fine and suddenly on way home this :S

It shot up to 4000 rpm then back down to 1500rpm and then up to 2500rpm and 3000rpm.

Now it sits idling between 1500rpm and 3000rpm and won't go any lower.

I revved it up when i got home and it stuck at 5000rpm (only did it once) and slowly went back down, but only as low as 1500rpm. :(

I also checked all my fluid levels and there fine.

Apart from this the car drives ok, but it doesn't seem to pull as hard as before when you floor it :(

Does any know what could be wrong ?

Coluld it be the idle valve or throttle body ?

Will try and get a video from my phone when i figure out how ;)

My first guess would be the TB, Has it even been cleaned or anything??

Get oot there and give it some degreaser if not ;)

My first guess would be the TB, Has it even been cleaned or anything??

Get oot there and give it some degreaser if not ;)

I took my samco inlet pipe off and gave it a wipe inside while stil on car a few days ago (wasn't wanting to take it off incase i damaged something)

It was black though.

And its been fine till now :(

Whys this ?

The battery is now disconnected to see if that does anything, i have also done the fault finding trick where you hold the trip computer button in and switch ignition and when everything lights and the needles start going mad.

I then pressed it a few more times to check for fault codes and all i had was ----

That means no faults are recoreded doesn't it ?

So i don't know where to go from here :S

BMW M135i
Its going to be either the body, the pedal or the wiring. The ECU has a part in the electric throttle too but I doubt its that.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If you've been playing with the pipes maybe you've pulled out the one that goes to the acoustic valve?

Cheers mate.

I've had a quick scan and still reading it.

Theres no dash light on neither and my ABS still works ;)

If you've been playing with the pipes maybe you've pulled out the one that goes to the acoustic valve?

My acoustic valve is removed and the acoustic valve end of the pipe is plugged off with a screw slightly bigger than pipe (and has a spot on seal with the end of the pipe and face of screw etc) and still connected to the plenum

I've just checked and its connected and so are all the other wires, sensors etc;)

Last edited:
The battery is now reconnected and it made no difference, i thought it may reset something and i've checked ABS Fuses etc and there fine :(

Anyone else any ideas ?

Last edited:
Sorry to post again , but are there any other wires & pipes that i could look at ?

AS I'VE LOOKED AT THE ONES AROUND THE THROTTLE BODY AND AIRBOX AND THERE ALL IN GOOD NICK AND CONNECTED.

Just wandered if there was any other pipes etc (vacuum ones maybe) in engine bay that are related to the throttle body etc.

Oops Cap Locks..

As this is annoying me now.

I even checked the wires going to the accelarator pedal and there ok :S

172 Race Car
Thats what i was gonna suggest, it sounds like an air leak.

Check all the pipes again, can u hear a hissing from anywhere?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had this happen on my 306, was the stepper motor (controls idle), do the 172's have the same?

Take off the induction tube and have a look at the butterfly movement. Get it off and give it a clean too. its only 2 jubilee clips and 4 10mm bolts to take it off.

Chances are you may need a new body unless its sticking due to the dirt.

Take off the induction tube and have a look at the butterfly movement. Get it off and give it a clean too. its only 2 jubilee clips and 4 10mm bolts to take it off.

Chances are you may need a new body unless its sticking due to the dirt.

The throttle body is clean bud.

I gave it a wipe the other day with a cloth and brake/clutch cleaner while it was still on car :)

I'm thinking the throttle body is fooked :(

As all my pipes and wires are where they should be

You @ home atm? What about if you start the car with the induction hose off and get someone to rev it while you see the butterfly movement. I'm starting to think the same to be honest... The only other thing is perhaps the FBW connection is dirty/corroded and is makign a poor connection.

Have a look and update this ;)

Some places will stick it on the diagnostic machine for nothing.

The local dealer in Aberdeen won't.

I can bet that one, its Evan Halshaw and there useless :(

The car still has warranty with them till november, so i booked it in to them but the soonest they can look at it is next thursday. :(

So i'll have to drive car and look like a dick in traffic queues with my revs up at 2000rpm :S

Will it damage my car pulling away at those sort of revs ?

Will it wear out my clutch or anything ?

You @ home atm? What about if you start the car with the induction hose off and get someone to rev it while you see the butterfly movement. I'm starting to think the same to be honest... The only other thing is perhaps the FBW connection is dirty/corroded and is makign a poor connection.

Have a look and update this ;)

I'm at home i'm away to try what your saying.

And i'll get back to you ;)

I have AA Membership, do they have any diagnostics they can hook up that may help point me in correct direction if i called them ?

They will have an OBD reader ;)

Is the fault constant or intermittant. I'm pretty sure if it makes the car undriveable they will sort you out :)

Well by sort you out I mean tell you that youl need a new TB :( lol

Is the fault constant or intermittant. I'm pretty sure if it makes the car undriveable they will sort you out :)

The fault is constant, but there are no dash lights coming on :S .

Just checked the tb and its fine unplugged connector to it and its fine as well :S

So its a weird one.

Just checked the tb and its fine unplugged connector to it and its fine as well :S

So its a weird one.

Connections looked okay not corroded or anything?

Do the thing with a friend and see what happens

Could be new TB time.

So its a weird one.

Could be new TB time.

Connections are fine, no corrosion etc at all.
The plug that plugs onto tb had vw/audi stamped on it :S why's this ?

The tb had a Renault diamond on it though and Made in Germany written on it.

The AA will be here soon, so we'll see what there OBDreader comes back with ;)

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
idle sensor? myn was idling a lil higher so i cleaned it runs alot better now. dont go replacing before youve cleaned up though

182 ff silver
i had the same problem with my ph1 exactly the same! was in the garage for ages turned out to be the ECU in the end.

Could be new TB time.

Hmm I dont know if they will be able to read anything but hopefully he will confirm what it is for you :)

Hmm I dont know if they will be able to read anything but hopefully he will confirm what it is for you :)

*UPDATE*

The Aa has just left, he says that if there is no dash light came on, he can plug in his OBD Reader/Scanner as it'll pick up nothing.

So he left it.

He thinks its the accelarator pedal (or stepper motor or something) or the throttle body, reason being is the revs shoot up to 3000-4000rpm when he unplugs the multiplug from the accelarator pedal and when he connects it again they go back down to 1500-2000rpm.

And there are no vacuum leaks and all wires and plugs are in place.

So i was advised to book it into Renault as they can dive in deeper with there computer and interragate the Ecu even though there are no dash lights on and maybe find the problem.

So called Renault and the soonest the car can be looked at is next Thursday.

So heres hoping it'll be covered by my warranty or it'll be a big bill :(

Bloody French Cars :( :(

Can you not borrow a TB off someone for testing purposes?

Again I have one but you have to live at the other end of the country!

BMW M135i
The revs will shoot up to 3000rpm~ if you unplug the throttle pedal, if you put your foot on the brake it (should) drop back to normal idle. If it does then its probably the pedal if its doesn't then its probably the body.

I'd try that next.

The revs will shoot up to 3000rpm~ if you unplug the throttle pedal, if you put your foot on the brake it (should) drop back to normal idle. If it does then its probably the pedal if its doesn't then its probably the body.

I'd try that next.

Give me 5 minutes and i'll try that and get back to you ;)

I'd try that next.

Just tried it and thats exactly what happens ;)

Started car revs just shot up to 2000rpm then crept up to 3000rpm.

So with Engine going i unplugged accelarator pedal multi plug and pushed the brake pedal and the revs dropped ;)

When i unplugged the multi connector the light below the petrol light came on (the light with the square and squigly line through it) and went off once throttle pedal plug was connected again ;)

Ant the revs shot up again

This is a stolen pic (from Ecka) of the light that came on when i unplugged throttle pedal multi plug connector.

The one below the petrol light.

S5031945.jpg

My guess would be pot. meter for idling which is connected to the f.b.w. change TB incl electronics and se what happens. maybe someone with a Mk2 Rs can help. This is what you can try....

remove silicone hose so you can see the TB butterfly, start the car ( will prob. go up to 3000 Rpm.) go to the butterfly and try to close it with your fingers. The revs HAVE to come down. If so than now you know it's either the pedalsensor or the Pot. meter attached to the TB...

good luck

My guess would be pot. meter for idling which is connected to the f.b.w. change TB incl electronics and se what happens. maybe someone with a Mk2 Rs can help. This is what you can try....

remove silicone hose so you can see the TB butterfly, start the car ( will prob. go up to 3000 Rpm.) go to the butterfly and try to close it with your fingers. The revs HAVE to come down. If so than now you know it's either the pedalsensor or the Pot. meter attached to the TB...

good luck

The AA recovery guy that came today removed the hose and tried this and the butterfly was opening and closing with no problem.

He even tried to push butterfly closed as he thought it was sticking at 3000rpm whilst idling but the butterfly was already fully closed :S

What is the pot meter ?

The thing behind the black plastic cover(with Renault diamond on it) on the t body ?

This is a stolen pic (from Ecka) of the light that came on when i unplugged throttle pedal multi plug connector.

The one below the petrol light.

S5031945.jpg

ok this isnt helping me now :rasp: that light must mean more than one thing :(

Lol sorry mate :D

I think that light basically means theres an electrical fault somewhere when it lights up on a petrol clio and wants you to investigate it and on a diesel it means there is sommething wrong with the engine preheat (meaning the glow plugs).

I amy be wrong though :S