ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2003 172 cup vs polo 1.8t gti

Status
Not open for further replies.
  172 cup
hi guys just quick post as above what ya think will be faster. my mate has just got one and saying it will mince me i dont believe him though. any thoughts:dapprove:

As above mate really, its not top trumps...

The 172 will be quicker than the Polo.

(Polo if mapped will be about 200bhp and so will be quicker than your 172)

Polo is 150bhp and heavy

Cup is 160~ and light.

Last edited:
  172 cup
As above mate really, its not top trumps...

The 172 will be quicker than the Polo.

(Polo if mapped will be about 200bhp and so will be quicker than your 172)

Polo is 150bhp and heavy

Cup is 160~ and light.

cheers tht all i needed to know really is bit pathetic really thanks for info

Stripped yozza'd cup
LOL. Polo GTI's standard are s**te. Your cup will destroy it. As said though, they're quick once mapped (in a straight line at least) but you'll still have him round the twisties.

But regardless of what you say to him, he won't listen. So they only way to settle it is cheeky traffic light grand prix.

197 FF Glacier White
Dont bite. If he wants to find out who's quickest, don't do it on public roads, invite him to a track day and settle it there, you'll also win, which is a bonus!

Stripped yozza'd cup
If you want to show him some figures.... being as most people believe that figures are the be all and all of car performance.

http://www.letstorquebhp.com

172 cup bhp/tonne - 170.85
polo gti bhp/tonne - 117.21

Clearly no competition whatsoever.

Z4
Even if the polo was remapped it would get destroyed!

People on here seem to think remaps turn skodas into veyrons.

Megane 225 F1
He wasn't trying....is what I'll say in your next thread. I'm saying it now incase I miss it.

'04 182
I agree standard polo gti's are dog slow. My old lupo gti was quicker, and it was quicker than a mk4 golf gti. Aaaah the lupo the last of the proper gti's.

Z4
I'm no fan of the Polo tbh but at 200bhp with a cat back and a remap, it would be the Clio which would get, "destroyed" in terms of straight line performance.

Fact.

Even with 200bhp they're still only circa 155bhp/ton. Granny mobile.

Fact.

With 250 pounds feet of torque?

They aren't that heavy mate. 1164 kg, 175 bhp/ton actually...

A Mk5 Golf GTI will pull on a Clio (I've had both), so a Polo which is alot lighter, with more bhp, get the picture? ;)

Love it how a Clio is like a Veron on here.

Fact lol

Last edited:
  Z4
With 250 pounds feet of torque?

They aren't that heavy mate. 1164 kg, 175 bhp/ton actually...

A Mk5 Golf GTI will pull on a Clio (I've had both), so a Polo which is alot lighter, with more bhp, get the picture? ;)

Love it how a Clio is like a Veron on here.

Fact lol

They're 1283kg!
As for the clios being veyrons, not really, most people in here know they're not the fastest thing on the road, but they can happily dust of a vag granny wagon!

It also depends on if you have/had a healthy Clio, mine felt rapid at the time so I'm sure it was running at full power. Others are dogs lucky if they get 150bhp!

Since when did torque win drag races?! Tractors would give motorbikes a hiding if that were the case!

Where are you getting 1283kg's from?

States 1164 kg on all the sites I've been on.

Torque is key in acceleration mate, hence why having 250 pound foot is a big deal...

Every heard the old saying "Torques win races, BHP sells cars"?!? lol

Last edited:
  Vectra SRi
speaking from experience (i've owned both cars) the clio is much quicker as standard, better handling and much more fun, the polo is a more sensible civilised car (which did get boring!)

however you wont appreciate how a remap transforms them until you witness it! feels like a different car once done!!

my polo gti got owned by a fiesta st when standard!! :eek: once mapped though i owned a 172 cup and a couple of 182's (all standard ofcourse) but admitedly i got owned by a 182 once, TC off, off the lights in the rain, really not the polo's strong point!

Last edited:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Every heard the old saying "Torques win races, BHP sells cars"?!? lol

Very subjective.
Torque has no inherent relationship to rpm. A steam engine can produce HUGE amounts of torque at 1rpm.
Power takes into account engine speed / energy.

Its all in the delivery.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather have my Clio than a Polo anyway of the week but as stated above, once they have been mapped it really is crazy how quick they are. A friend of mine has one on stage 2 running 200bhp and 300 pound foot of torque and it's an animal, showed up a Ph2 Clio V6 so don't underestimate them! Lol

Pease and love people...

Stripped yozza'd cup
I've got 1283kg, 148hp and 0-60 in 8.91.

Not a quick car by any means, as said above, considerably slower than a fiesta st.

And again, comparing a modified car to a standard one is ridiculous.

I've got 1283kg, 148hp and 0-60 in 8.91.

Not a quick car by any means, as said above, considerably slower than a fiesta st.

And again, comparing a modified car to a standard one is ridiculous.

God knows where those figures are from?!

Standard for standard, the polo is shite, we all agree this but you have to consider, for £400 revo will map it and leave you with a very different car. Less than most Clio owners (including my self) spend on an exhaust which gives zero performance upgrades...

Horses for courses mate

Status
Not open for further replies.