ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2003 Clio 1.4 16v Newbie

2003 Clio 1.4 16v
Hi all. I am a new Renault owner. I live in Saudi Arabia :-/ and I have just gotten my hands on a 2003 1.4 16v clio hatchback. Manual box. It runs nice, and is extremely clean inside and out. Just needed a touch of paint on a faded bonnet. Mileage is quite low as well @ 82k KM. I do have a few issues I would appreciate some help with:

1. When I am driving with the windows up, as the rev counter climbs to 2.5-4k RPM, I can hear a 'knocking' sound. It sounds almost like it's coming right out of the instrument cluster. It's not audible if the windows are down. If I just touch the clutch pedal (not depressing it) with my foot while the RPMs are climbing, it doesn't make that sound anymore. Any idea what it could be?

2. when the car is rolling off-power (neutral) I can hear/feel this grinding/grunting sound coming from somewhere in the moving bits of the car. Either the wheels or the shafts. The shaft itself also has an issue where i've been told there is a toothed cog on it which regulates the ABS. On the front passenger side, this ring is broken and spinning free. Could it be related? I have been told that the only solution is to replace the entire shaft :-/ Brakes work fine, unless I stand on them pretty hard and the ABS goes nuts. Then i can feel the shudders.

3. The speedo on my car is crazy. I am on the freeway I KNOW I am doing around 100-110 kph (60-65mph) but my speedo shows 180kph. How do i fix this issue?

4. If I push the car to the top-end on the freeway, it makes this sort of incremental shuddering. as in, it will shudder, then it is smooth.. then it will shudder, then it is smooth again. What could be causing this? Is it normal? What should I check? The top-end is alright @ 180-190kph (I'm guessing cuz the speedo is off)

5. As I said I live in Saudi Arabia and unfortunately, there aren't many Clio's here. Because of that, there aren't many tuning/modding places I could visit. However, I'm not one to be put off by a challenge and I still want to invest a bit of money into squeezing out an extra 20-30 hp out of the little beast. I do not want to do anything drastic like bolting on a turbo. I'm just looking for a slight performance upgrade. Could you guys please advise on good exhaust/intake/suspension systems that would help with this? In terms of what I want: I am looking for around 120-150bhp.
Exhaust: I do not want any kind of exhaust that is loud or attention catching. Not that I'm against it, just that the police over here are very strict about modifying cars and a loud exhaust system is a sure-fire way to get a weekly ticket. So I want performance, and yes, I want a bit of rumble, but something very subtle.

Suspension: I am not looking for anything that will make my car feel like i welded the wheels to the chassis. I want something that will help with a bit of the body-roll, and will maybe give the car a slightly stiffer feel than the standard shocks. 90% of roads here are arrow straight, but then there are a few coastal roads here and there that can offer a little bit of fun ;)

Intake: Well, I just want to know what has proven to be a good option for previous Clio owners.

So to sum it up, I need help in a few issues with the car, and with finding some good parts for a performance gain. If there are any people who would be willing to ship overseas to Saudi Arabia please contact me. This is going to take a bit of time as I just started working and well, my paychecks are on a monthly basis. So no hurry, but definitely will do everything mentioned above in time. Thanks again for your help.

1. When I am driving with the windows up, as the rev counter climbs to 2.5-4k RPM, I can hear a 'knocking' sound. It sounds almost like it's coming right out of the instrument cluster. It's not audible if the windows are down. If I just touch the clutch pedal (not depressing it) with my foot while the RPMs are climbing, it doesn't make that sound anymore. Any idea what it could be?
Engine mounts might be worth checking for play/wear
2. when the car is rolling off-power (neutral) I can hear/feel this grinding/grunting sound coming from somewhere in the moving bits of the car. Either the wheels or the shafts. The shaft itself also has an issue where i've been told there is a toothed cog on it which regulates the ABS. On the front passenger side, this ring is broken and spinning free. Could it be related? I have been told that the only solution is to replace the entire shaft :-/ Brakes work fine, unless I stand on them pretty hard and the ABS goes nuts. Then i can feel the shudders.
yep get the abs tooth ring replaced there for sale on Ebay etc for a cheap price fitment is easy enough just clean the shaft up and put the new ring on with some care. Your abs goes offf when you brake hard as the abs ring is spinning round and the car things that wheel is skidding as the abs ring isn't going round at the same speed as the other wheels so lets the brakes off on that wheel and reaplies them.
3. The speedo on my car is crazy. I am on the freeway I KNOW I am doing around 100-110 kph (60-65mph) but my speedo shows 180kph. How do i fix this issue?
Fix the abs ring this should fix this problem
4. If I push the car to the top-end on the freeway, it makes this sort of incremental shuddering. as in, it will shudder, then it is smooth.. then it will shudder, then it is smooth again. What could be causing this? Is it normal? What should I check? The top-end is alright @ 180-190kph (I'm guessing cuz the speedo is off)
How hot is it and what fuel are you using?
5. As I said I live in Saudi Arabia and unfortunately, there aren't many Clio's here. Because of that, there aren't many tuning/modding places I could visit. However, I'm not one to be put off by a challenge and I still want to invest a bit of money into squeezing out an extra 20-30 hp out of the little beast. I do not want to do anything drastic like bolting on a turbo. I'm just looking for a slight performance upgrade. Could you guys please advise on good exhaust/intake/suspension systems that would help with this? In terms of what I want: I am looking for around 120-150bhp.
Exhaust: I do not want any kind of exhaust that is loud or attention catching. Not that I'm against it, just that the police over here are very strict about modifying cars and a loud exhaust system is a sure-fire way to get a weekly ticket. So I want performance, and yes, I want a bit of rumble, but something very subtle.
Best idea is to get a 1.6 bottom end or a whole engine from the same age and swop bottom ends or the whole engine the heads on the 1.4 and 1.6 are the same so just need the bottom end. there an extra 10hp and a nice bit of extra torque.

150 hp from the 1.4 isnt cheap even 120 will cost a fair few pounds with cams head work etc.
Suspension: I am not looking for anything that will make my car feel like i welded the wheels to the chassis. I want something that will help with a bit of the body-roll, and will maybe give the car a slightly stiffer feel than the standard shocks. 90% of roads here are arrow straight, but then there are a few coastal roads here and there that can offer a little bit of fun ;)Personaly IM o spend a lot or not at all stock is very good maybe reniew with ann new stuff or spend a lot IMO most cheap stuff is rubish IMO.

Intake: Well, I just want to know what has proven to be a good option for previous Clio owners.
Stock not bad for gains are small so no companies do loads of research people just want a bit more noise as hp gains are realistically to small.

2003 Clio 1.4 16v
How hot is it and what fuel are you using?

==>It's relatively cool (20C average) and i'm using 95 octane.

Best idea is to get a 1.6 bottom end or a whole engine from the same age and swop bottom ends or the whole engine the heads on the 1.4 and 1.6 are the same so just need the bottom end. there an extra 10hp and a nice bit of extra torque.

==>Sooo if i manage to find a 1.6 motor, it will plonk right in? no need to mod the mountings? On the same note... what if I manage to get my hands on a 2.0?

10 hp puts me up to 107... need another 10-20 and i'll be a happy man. :D however if I can get the 2.0 motor, that's around 190hp. How difficult would it be to fit one of those in the shell of a 1.4? Same age cars and everything...

Btw thanks much for the help :)

==>Sooo if i manage to find a 1.6 motor, it will plonk right in? no need to mod the mountings? On the same note... what if I manage to get my hands on a 2.0?

10 hp puts me up to 107... need another 10-20 and i'll be a happy man. :D however if I can get the 2.0 motor, that's around 190hp. How difficult would it be to fit one of those in the shell of a 1.4? Same age cars and everything...
A 1.6 of the same age etc will eyp no need to change mounts just got to remember to get the car remapped or swop a blank ecu over or swop all the ECU/UCH etc.

A 2.0 Yep can be done done many times before in the Uk I wouldn't bothere recomending as a proper 2.0 can be bought for less.than the priuce of bits to swop. Iuf your interested i can give you a run down but its a lot of work. Maybe easier to buy one from another country and reregister etc.

2.0 arn't 190hp though there 172 (in reality in UK horses they are 166hp) the 182 arn't that much more.