ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200bhp Petrol vs 200bhp Diesel

Lol, Diesel does not combust the same way as Petrol

For starters its ignited by high compression instead of the spark plug, thats just the beginning.

Wow for a car enthusiast site amazing how many people don't even know that LOL at mixing them.

Shed.
amazing how sad f*****s like to sit on this forum and make a point about a 4 month old thread........let it go. it was only theory anyways it doesnt matter.

Clio's
from a rolling start the diesel was better and that had a smaller engine and quite a bit less power. in real life you tend to be rolling already when you need power. e.g overtaking or for speeding back up on a motorway after slowing for traffic!

MCS R56
amazing how sad f**kers like to sit on this forum and make a point about a 4 month old thread........let it go. it was only theory anyways it doesnt matter.

Will I start a new thread.......?

Surely that makes it a good thread, if it's 4 months old and still going. It's amazing how people sit on this forum and get worked up about people's views when that is the whole point of the site!

Ralph Wiggum - I'm taking the pi$$! But I'm sure the majority of people on this site couldn't give an explanation of how diesel and petrol cannot mix in an internal combustion engine.

However, it would be nice to take the positives from both fuels and harness them in the same engine/car. NOT BY MIXING THE FUELS because clearly ,that would not work!

clio 1.7 turbo
itll be diesel cause they more torque thn petorl ne day eg: skoda fabia vrs has more torque thn a porche boxster

seat arosa 1.4 tdi
anyway relating to both lupos and the whole diesel/petrol thing, theres a 75bhp diesel and a 75bhp petrol. so theres to cars with the same bhp and different fuels you can compare. :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
^ Eifelgiest (sp?)..

f**king naughty stuff. Was violently sick after a few of them, then got back on the beers and noshed on a german bird.. Happy days.

MK1 16v
we had a 123d come in for a demo at our dealership and someone went out in an e46 M3 and from moving start the 123d kept up with it. 123d is the fastest production diesel engine got over 100 bhp per litre!

depends how modern the desiel engine is imo, if its a new hdi engine the petrol will probs get smoked, diesel engines run on a ratio of compression of sumthing lk 20:1 petrols are 10:1, the diesel creates double the petrols torque so..........

GW Stage 2 R26
surely it depends on the petrol engine? there is a lot of dif between sumet like a type r high revs low torque to sumet wich has more than 4 cylinders or a turbo. will be as torquey as a tdi.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
There so different.The only reason TDI's keep up is the turbo.Add the turbo to petrol and its bye bye

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
petrol cos u would have pulled over with a head ache long before u hit 60 in a derv ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
M3 drivers must hate that!

Is the 330d not tuned down so that it doesn't smoke the 330i?

Standard for standard it beats the 330i anyway.

16vsam said:
we had a 123d come in for a demo at our dealership and someone went out in an e46 M3 and from moving start the 123d kept up with it. 123d is the fastest production diesel engine got over 100 bhp per litre!

It's the first production diesel to have 100bhp / litre out of the box. And the first four cylinder diesel with an ally block, and the first twin turbo 4 cyl diesel.

The fastest production diesel however is the 335d.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Are all 123Ds Twin turbo?

The 1 means it's a 1 series. The two latter numbers are for the engine identification.

118d is a 2 litre turbo diesel with a lower power output.
120d is a 2 litre turbo diesel with ~170bhp now.
123d is a 2 litre twin turbo diesel with 200bhp. Remapped it should be able to show the 130i a thing or two.

Yep but petrol don't come as stanard with turbos diesel do so compair like with like.

Turbo petrol cars do, at least they do in the same way as turbo diesel turbos do.
Yep but most of the time they don't. You have to compaire like with like no point saying a 172 with a turbo will be quicker than a 175hp megan dci after all the 172 onl;y has the same power just to be fair you bolted a 6k turbo kit to it.

Odd logic you're applying there hmm.

You said turbos are needed on diesel and to be fair should compaire a turbo petrol with them well there no problem at the end of the day were supposed to be comapiring production standard cars so what a 200hp Golf and say a remapped 170 TDi gold (there no 200hp diesel golf so needs a remap to compete).

Only fair to compare a turbo petrol 200bhp car and 200bhp turbo diesel car.

Seeing as no-one makes a car with both engine choices there is no way you can compare.

My old mans 2.0 diesel with 800lb/ft pulls well off the lights until you have to change gear at 100rpm. The same applies to all gears. Even if it did 0-1000 in half a second it would still be f**king boring.

Torque torque torque, like half the derv boys even know what it actually is. For starters, lets talk about torque at the wheels. The gearing is so high that the actual wheel figures are far less than you might expect. Granted they do pull well in all gears but only up to 100rpm. Beyond that, I'd take a petrol every day of the week from now until the day I die. I hate deisel. It goes against everyhting that spirited driving stands for.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Only fair to compare a turbo petrol 200bhp car and 200bhp turbo diesel car.

Seeing as no-one makes a car with both engine choices there is no way you can compare.

Audi 2.0T is 200bhp. You can quite easily get 200bhp+ out of their diesel engines too. Fair comparison, but I doubt there's many people that can be bothered to do it.

No one really cares which is faster, because if you had a 200bhp petrol and met up with someone with a 200bhp diesel to compare notes, you could both goto a tuner that day and get more power.

Unless you were thinking of organising a racing league this whole topic is a bit pointless.