ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200bhp R5, Tempting

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ive got a 16v which i really like but im the kinda guy that when ive got one thing, i want the other, if u catch my drift.

So im pondering buying an R5 some time in the VERY distant future, but ill probably want my 16v back when ive got that, as i cant afford to run two cars like some people. Although i can put about 3G into doing the R5 Turbo up, so its tempting to buy one and give it 200bhp for the price of my valver. :cool:

Can u give me ur opinion? Ive had a quick drive of a rebuilt 170bhp R5 and loved the raw feel, turbo effect, dump valve and concentration u have to give it when driving and think they look amazing in dark blue or black with a little effort, but will i get bored of this type of car? Cheers people.

BMW 320d Sport

Just my personal opinion, but 5s are a dying breed. Valver is 10x the quality of a 5. Spend a few grand at BB getting a low pressure turbo, youll have a reliable 190-200bhp in a decent car thats capable of proper speeds and is only slightly heavier than a 5GTT but a hell of a lot safer and better to drive.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG

I thought the 5 was lighter, 1.4 small engine, turbo aint very heavy, big 1.8 16v. I could be wrong though, I usually am :)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The phase 2 R5 GTT only weighs in at 830kg in full trim, but even less if you ditch leccy windows, trim, etc... like I did for my track car.

Dunno how much it weighted in the end, but it cant have been much and when you have aboiut 150/160bhp in summat that light, then you really know about it!

p.s. Replied to your PM mate.

Well obviously you spend money on replacing the standard shocks, fit a front and rear strut brace and you dont have sh1t handling anymore.

Simple.

Then, 200bhp + R5 = Very fast car.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 17 February 2003

200bhp + R5 = sh*t handling
How do you work that out?!

There is (with a boost increase) no actual change to the cars weight or balance like in the case of a larger engine conversion, so the handling will not change in this case...

However, only a completed idiot would run such a highly tuned car on the standard suspension (& brakes), so it will probably be lowered & run top spec stuff and handling will be superb.

I run Avo adjustable coilovers on my GTT and its great!

clio 20v

did ponder getin 1 as a second car after getting k-tecs catalogue with all there tuning bits

i was like a kid in a sweet shop, ooooh lets have forged pistons and the biggest turbo they do an one of them front mount intercoolers and race clutch an stage 3 head oh an samco hoses an. . . . . the list goes on

but i cant afford it ive not finished with the clio yet lol

The car would still struggle to put that kind of power down. Coilovers dont fix understeer.
no they wouldnt, but you could easily fettle geometry to fix understeer its not a permanent problem....infact, its not really a problem

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The car would still struggle to put that kind of power down. Coilovers dont fix understeer.
Correct, they dont fix understeer, but they do help a lot and you can alter the geometry to improve things...

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Anyone selling an R5 then? Only kiddin, got a year to go with my 16v first, but ill be getting one for sure ive decided. :cool:

I really want the Raider spec in dark blue, in mint condition though, so ive got a search on my hands first.

ok, so peak torque maybe better but surely off boost a 1.3 will struggle????

Rob mate, you need to do a little more homework. Its a 1.4. Also, the torque that turbod engines produce is alot more than an NA.

Depending on what turbo your running, boost comes in at about 1500-2000rpm, so you dont ever really have to be off-boost either.

If youve never been in a 5 turbo, try and blag a ride in one, youll love it.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste, and this is just going to turn into a my cars better than your car thread soon.

5 years ago a mate of mine sold his 5 turbo after owning it for a year and brought a 16v clio, he then sold it a month later and brought another 5 turbo because he said the Clio was too slow.

Personally, I love both of them, but if I were to get another Clio, it would be a Williams, and the first thing Id do is turbo it. Once you drive a turbod car, your hooked!!!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Im with you their Barryd, didnt think twice about the ugly little squared feather weighted tin can till i drove my mates, obviously got me hooked by the simply fact i want one! :cry:

Although the 16v is a much better car i like the raw quicker drive of the 5 and thats down to being a boy racer i think. :cool:

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Barryd on 17 February 2003

5 years ago a mate of mine sold his 5 turbo after owning it for a year and brought a 16v clio, he then sold it a month later and brought another 5 turbo because he said the Clio was too slow.
Similar stoy with one of my mates...

He had an R5 GTT for about 4 years, it was well modded and very quick. But then decided he wanted a bigger, faster car when he got a new job, so he sold the R5 and got a Cavalier 4x4 Turbo.

After a few months he got bored of the Cav and bought another GTT as a play car, but he ended up using it more than the Cav.

Now the Cav was fast as fook, but it did not feel as fast as it was and the larger cars handling was not as respnsive, so it didnt hrill you when you were driving it. Basically it was just not as much fun.

Eventually he sold them both and got an Evo VI, which WAS fun!!! ;)

Clio 172 cup

Yeah Id say my Raider was a hell of a lot faster than the williams

Think the willy should have also come with a turbo as standard!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Yeah, thatd make the 16v/Willy the example of a perfect car.

Ill have to think about a BB turbo, but its gonna cost more than buying and modding an R5 and will still be potentially slower. Hum. Its stupid to want to change from a 16v to a R5 in theory but with mods; HOW QUICK R R5s! Nuff said.