ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205 40 16 or 195 45 16

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone any ideas what size of the above would be better in terms of wear?
I know standard size should be 205 45 16 but they are like doughnut's!
Ive gone from having 182 cup wheels with 195 40 16's (which were wearing too quickly on the inside and outside) to buying a set of trophy turini's that came with 205 45 16's
I simply want to know what would be best/last longer out of the 2 mentioned in the thread title (on the turinis)

Clio 182
when you have uneven wear on one side or the outer edegs that normally indicate tracking out or over/under inflated tyres

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
As above.

I don't think you will notice a great deal of difference between the 2 sizes in terms of mileage returned from them.
If your worried about costs and being more pocket friendly then go for the 195's, it was only the cup packed cars that had the 205's over the 195's.

clio 172 iceburg silver
I have 195/45/16 on my clio 172 and find they last me near on a year, when i have them changed in winter they still carry an amazing amout of tread.. this said untill i had the tracking and camber checked at a good place my car ate tyres...

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Tracking was all done and spot on, i think because they were 40's aswell they were so streched it made the in/out wear quickly
Maybe just go for 195 45's and see how they go

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
How does the sidewall profile have an affect on how stretched the tyre is? Genuine question btw, not a sarcastic comment.

^ read the f**king manual

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Dont have the manual to hand, but either way it was a simple question to ask was it not....Not too sure scott tbh, just prosume as its stretched due to being 195 instead of 205, the in/outside have more contact with the road surface-may be wrong in thinking that hence starting the thread for a bit more clarification

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you've not got the manual to hand, most cars have a sticker on the B-pillar with details too.

I can't tell you for sure (and I can't be arsed to search) as I don't own a Clio, but it is something like 2.3bar F : 2.1bar R.

A.N. Other
I posted standard 205/45/R16 tyre pressures last week, check my profile for recent posts. Any other size will likely need something different.
Personally I prefer standard width, anything narrower will just give a harsher ride in return for little real-world improvement in handling, etc.