ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205/50/15 on a 15x7 inch wheel

mx5
Need some new tyres, dont like the soft sidewall on the Toyo T1Rs'

I currently have 195/50/15, thinking of going for a 205/50/15, anyone run this on a 7 inch wheel? I have Speedline 2118 wheels and its pretty low!

Thanks

Rich

RB 182 Cup
Hi Fred, do you think 205/50/15 is a better size on a 15x7 than the usual 195/50/15?

Cheers

Last edited:
It's wider LOL

Fairly simple - more surface area touching the ground = more grip

And yeah 205/50/15's fit fine - had them on my 2118's for a few years

M6 - be interested if they fit ok as that's very cheap
My concern is the rsr's seem very wide - my mate has 195/50/15's on his 106 and they stick out quite a bit from the tyre

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's wider LOL

Fairly simple - more surface area touching the ground = more grip

true to a point, but more surface area equals less pressure per square inch on the tyre to try and work the compound properly. So there is an optimum width that's different for any given compound even on the same car, then add in weight etc and it gets even more complicated.

On a soft compound trackday type tyre I reckon the optimum for my car is 205 but not much in it compared to 195 and I reckon going any wider again would get worse unless it was a very soft compound, especially on the back where its hard to get heat in.

Lionel Richie
true to a point, but more surface area equals less pressure per square inch on the tyre to try and work the compound properly. So there is an optimum width that's different for any given compound even on the same car, then add in weight etc and it gets even more complicated.

On a soft compound trackday type tyre I reckon the optimum for my car is 205 but not much in it compared to 195 and I reckon going any wider again would get worse unless it was a very soft compound, especially on the back where its hard to get heat in.

Simplified version - its better ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Simplified version - its better ;)

On my clio I agree, on other cars though it wont be, its not a matter of one size fits all, so was just trying to help out a bit with some extra info for anyone who hasnt really thought before about the fact that just cause a bit wider is a bit better in one case that its not as simple as wider is always better, a 265 on a clio for example would be disgusting.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think it's safe to say on 99% of clios a 205 offers more grip

Depends on the compound of the tyre, harder compounds wont get enough heat into them very quickly even at 195 and at 205 they will be even slower to heat up.

For most trackday tyres though, I agree totally, certainly the case on mine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I can't see anyone really wanting to run hard compound tyres on any cars on this forum. Unless I've missed something

Some people on this forum do trackdays on normal road tyres if they are just doing one here and there, these tend to be quite a hard compound, they might not offer the same benefits on a wider tyre as the trackday rubber does.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
IMAG0665.jpg

IMAG0664.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

That's on the standard 15x7 F1 with standard ride height and spacers (15mm front, 5mm rear)