ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd Hello From Afghanistan

BG 182 FF
great photos the one with the pilot is awesome, simple but powerful imo, big respect to you guys out there, the real heroes

Family Bus
Don't the locals look sad?

They are all stunning photograph's, but the sadness in the eyes of those people is really striking.

Fantastic Photographs.

Absolutely amazing photos mate, top class photography!
These two are my favourites:

19x-2009-112-097.jpg

19x-2009-112-094.jpg

Stay safe out there, you and your lads are doing us proud

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I am a an Army ( Defence) Photographer attached to Media Operations with 19 Brigade.

We are a group of only 40 Photographers/Video cameramen in the world. I am usually based at Wilton in the UK with Headquarters Land Forces Media Ops group.

Our job is to document and record day to day life wherever the Army may be, this includes Operations,Adventure training, parades,sport, ...pretty much anything.

We also have a Combat Camera Team out here deployed straight to the frontline whenever needed, this obviously has its risks....but you get images that no press can get.

Our imagery, if used for news purposes is free to the press globally.....hence a lot of our images get into the news and newspapers - because it is FREE!!! and saves them having to send out camera operators.

All of the video you watch daily on BBC,ITN,SKY News is filmed by us and wired back daily.

My images are cropping up everywhere from the USA -Australia.

If you have not seen these videos then I suggest you watch them, as it gives an insight into what we are about.
Thanks for looking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhAD06bGeRs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UyQuRXjlFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh2FniVX0ns

You know what, I looked at getting this job, went to the recruitment office but they said there were currently no jobs as like you say, there are only a select few doing it.

Could you tell me what you needed to stand out from the rest to get the job?

also, were you a soldier before hand? and I take it you have to train up as a normal soldier would do before you are even considered?

This is my honest to god dream job, I have always wanted to be a war photographer and this job fits it perfectly.

Oh, and great pics btw;)

Mike

LY 182 FF CUPPED
you need to serve at least 10 years in the Army and be a minimum of Corporal in rank before you are even considered for selection.

If successful, you are then invited to a weeks selection - with up to 15 other wanabees.

The week consists of interviews, aptitude tests, english and maths exam. You are then sent out on a 24 hour photographic exam - mine was to take 10 images following chosen themes in Wolverhampton. This is judged by an independent panel.

You then have the most important test - a social evening with alcohol, secretly being assessed to see how much of a social hand grenade you are???....of which I scored very highly ( Blamed it on the Stella)

Providing you pass the week........I came top on my selection, only 2 of us were picked out of 16 applicants!

This selection only happens twice a year if you are lucky - but recruitment will now stop for the foreseeable future as we have reached maximum limit. People tend to see out their 22 years in the trade!

The next step is to attend the Defence School of Photography at DCAE Cosford where you undertake an intense 9 month Photography course - equivalent to 2 years at College and 1 Year at University, and a year in a high tempo "press situation".

You are then spat out at the other end as a Professional Photographer ready to deploy anywhere in the world.....like me......to Afghanistan on my own!!!....and expected to deliver the goods, no matter what the situation to the worlds ever demanding media.

http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/career/7871.aspx

Audi
I remember the pic you did on v6clio.net from inside your car. Abosolutely brilliant.

Very talented.

Echo what everyone on here had said before about staying safe mate.

Alex

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Thank you

anyone wants to send a charity parcel out...old magazines especially photography ones or car mags.....much appreciated.

Not just for me but the rest of the lads out here.
postage is free upto 2 kg

Cpl Steve Wood
19 Bde Photographer
TFH Headquarters
Lashkar Gah
Afghanistan
BFPO 715

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
you need to serve at least 10 years in the Army and be a minimum of Corporal in rank before you are even considered for selection.

If successful, you are then invited to a weeks selection - with up to 15 other wanabees.

The week consists of interviews, aptitude tests, english and maths exam. You are then sent out on a 24 hour photographic exam - mine was to take 10 images following chosen themes in Wolverhampton. This is judged by an independent panel.

You then have the most important test - a social evening with alcohol, secretly being assessed to see how much of a social hand grenade you are???....of which I scored very highly ( Blamed it on the Stella)

Providing you pass the week........I came top on my selection, only 2 of us were picked out of 16 applicants!

This selection only happens twice a year if you are lucky - but recruitment will now stop for the foreseeable future as we have reached maximum limit. People tend to see out their 22 years in the trade!

The next step is to attend the Defence School of Photography at DCAE Cosford where you undertake an intense 9 month Photography course - equivalent to 2 years at College and 1 Year at University, and a year in a high tempo "press situation".

You are then spat out at the other end as a Professional Photographer ready to deploy anywhere in the world.....like me......to Afghanistan on my own!!!....and expected to deliver the goods, no matter what the situation to the worlds ever demanding media.

http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/career/7871.aspx

10 years lol, should of joined when I was 18!!

looks like your the cream of the crop though, so well done to you!

Out of interest, have you photographed any of Famagusta the 'ghost town' in Cyprus? My uncle who was once based out there said he went around it on patrol and said I would of loved it!

btw, might send you out something in the post :) )

BMW F31
Thank you

anyone wants to send a charity parcel out...old magazines especially photography ones or car mags.....much appreciated.

Cpl Steve Wood
19 Bde Photographer
TFH Headquarters
Lashkar Gah
Afghanistan
BFPO 715

what stuff can you receive/not receive?

I'll dig out some mags and stuff for you :)

I can't believe the criteria needed to get this sort of job. Although I guess they can't have someone straight out of uni going into a war zone.

At what point did you decide this is what you wanted to do?

Cpl Steve Wood
19 Bde Photographer
TFH Headquarters
Lashkar Gah
Afghanistan
BFPO 715

You still out there for a while? I'll send a parcel out tomorrow if so.

Chris.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
yes here till October

many thanks if you do........and I will honestly share out anything sent.