ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3/4 plates

Yozza'd Titanium 182
I no a few people on here with 3/4 number plates on the front of thier cars and im just wondering is it illigal?

I think they look real nice and will be one of my first mods but i don't wana do it if im going toget busted!

Cheers
James

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Look crap IMO and police are clamping down on it apparently.

If the letters are the correct size and you have the correct border, its fine.

They look s**t when theres a big recess tho.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I've thought about putting a 3/4 front plate on ... BUT the only thing stopping me is it'll leave two holes on the top corners of both sides revealed... anyone have this problem?

Yozza'd Titanium 182
If the letters are the correct size and you have the correct border, its fine.

They look s**t when theres a big recess tho.

do you mean it looks good if you dont have a huge white border around ur numbers n letters like

mines 3/4, but the fonts larger that most of the 3/4 ones on here.....never had a prob with the old bill........yet

2224106328_f14fd0fc62_o.gif

tiTTy & SV650
legal requirements are: 11mm border around outside of characters, 11mm gap between characters, 33mm gap between groups. and I'm not sure if the characters are meant to be 50 or 57mm wide.

I am getting a small plate made up for the front of the pug using legal spacing, only because I have a new bumper to fit and the french plate recess isn't as wide as UK plates.

3/4 is illegal if the characters are too small and no 11mm border.

Where do people go for custom sized plates? fancyplates?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Jord - But do u have the holes in the tops of the corners where the full size ones will be screwed in?

^
Just what I was thinking.

I'm not a fan of them escpcailly on cars (like the clio) where the plate is recessed.

Polo Bluemotion
Ive always wondered about the legality of mine, but ive had it on two cars in two years,+touch wood, ive not had any bother yet.......
Was thinking about getting a smaller one on the front, about the height of jords, but thought it may attract unwanted attention :nono:

009.jpg

BMW E92/Audi S3
3/4 plates on a bike? Dont bikes have the square looking plates?
They only look good on Sports front bumpers. Apart from Foxys, that one looks good :)

Clio 197 F1 R27
Ive always wondered about the legality of mine, but ive had it on two cars in two years,+touch wood, ive not had any bother yet.......
Was thinking about getting a smaller one on the front, about the height of jords, but thought it may attract unwanted attention :nono:

009.jpg

Not a fan of these, normal plates look best imo, the gaps to each side just look silly

Dervvv
speaking to a close friend in the police in northren ireland and he was saying rules for plates in N.I (not sure about rest of uk)

his quote " Your not allowed to move the numbers closer to the letters. The gap between the letters grouped and the numbers grouped must be at least 33mm. The gap between the numbers or letters must be 11mm. Height is approx 77mm for letters and numbers. Traffic branch just told me all that "

he also said, if you are caught twice with the plates you loose the Reg to your car, that what he was told by them anyways