ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 Week Old 182 is a reject!!

Had my black 182 with full cup pack for only 3 weeks. Its in the dealers for the 3rd time. This time Ive told them to keep it as the steering is at fault and the car is very unstable at lowish speeds ( 60mph ). The clutch also stinks when you do a hill start. All in all I am very annoyed, I, like all of you fellow 182 owners waited a long time for this car ( 12 weeks ).Cant believe Renault sent this car out like this from their factory!

Dont know if I will need to wait a further 12 weeks for a replacement, hopefully Renault will hurry it up. If not they can shove it, at least I have the demonstrator for now

Any one else had similar problems or advice on this matter please.

Tony Shaw

They are doing checks to see what is wrong ( again ), but I dont want a new steering rack or anything else fitted. I want them to admit it was faulty from the start and give me a replacement car. I have spoken to trading standards and they said I can cancel the agreement with them if I want to. I love driving the 182, so I dont really want to cancel the agreement with them, hopefully they will get me a replacement car quickly, not holding my breath though..

Lee

BMW M2C

I seem to remember a couple of people on here rejected Cups a while back and it took some doing.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

I think mines in for the 4th or 5th time in 5 months next week. Same things as the previous times, so far theyve failed to fix them.

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 09 December 2004

I seem to remember a couple of people on here rejected Cups a while back and it took some doing.

I think mines in for the 4th or 5th time in 5 months next week. Same things as the previous times, so far theyve failed to fix them.
This is exactly the problem with Renault....it isnt that they have loads wrong with them but that you have to go back so many times b4 they actually fix 1 thing.

My engine mount started to know after about 6months. Took it in and they struggled to find the problem!? They eventually fixed it and it went again in a matter of 2-3 weeks. This happened a few times then eventually they actually did fix it and it lasted probably more than 6 months. Went in recently and same again...few weeks and it has gone again! This also happened with my alarm as well....Good job I still love driving the car or it would have gone long ago!

Chris

Quote: Originally posted by Lee on 09 December 2004

It shouldnt take any doing, there is no set amount of time to reject a car, trading standards say a reasonable amount of time.

Its not upto renault wether or not you get a refund, law states that you can demand a refund.

this is from TS website

If the goods are faulty at the time of sale, you are legally entitled to request one of the following remedies:

1) A full refund.

This remedy is available when the goods have not been ‘accepted’. Under the Sale of Goods Act, acceptance can take place in three ways:

By telling the retailer that you have accepted them.
By acting in a way with the goods which is inconsistent with the seller’s ownership. E.g. if you have altered the goods in any way or customised them then you would be deemed to have accepted them.
By keeping them for longer than a reasonable time without telling the seller that you have rejected them. There is no time specified in the Act and it may vary according to the type of goods. Ultimately, it may be for the judge to decide whether an unreasonable time has passed and whether goods have been accepted. For this reason you must contact the supplier, preferably in writing, as soon as the fault appears. To delay may mean you lose a right to a refund.
Dont let em give you any sh*t, quote the sales of goods act and put you request for a refund in writing. If they think you know what your on about they will soon change there tune. Might be worth mentioning a solicitor and local and national press in your letter too.

Check out this site http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/ it gives some good info.

Too many people get walked all over because they dont know there rights, dont be the next one!

Sorry another quote from the website above

The trader refuses a refund on goods
The trader may refuse to refund you, even if you have the legal right to ask for your money back. They may offer you alternatives such as a repair or an exchange. Some traders refer you to the manufacturer or say that you should claim on the guarantee. However, you do not have to accept this.

If you want a refund but the trader does not offer one, you can go to court or use an alternative dispute resolution scheme to enforce your rights. Both these procedures can be straightforward and do not usually need a solicitor.

A Citizens Advice Bureau can give you information and advice on the best way of enforcing your legal rights. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice target=_newU nearest CAB/U/A"> . BR/PBRBR Edited by casiodan on 09 December 2004 at 6:29pm

Yaris Hybrid

I have had a fair bit of trouble but no smelly clutch.

Instability at 60mph can be caused by something as simple as a dodgy tyre.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i have a smelly clutch, thought it was the way i hold it on a hill but it sounds like it is normal!

ALthough my clutch pedal becomes lumpy when the car is warmed up, anybody else get this?

My clutch has never smelt, well apart from when i let a mate drive and he proved to have no ability to launch the car at all mmmm smokey!,

Dave; never hada problem with a lumpy clutch on mine and i never use the handbrake :confused:

200 cup (van blanc)

clutch quite a bit jumpy when cold

only smells in my car are old boots/fish and chip papers/dead cat.......

hows it going dave?

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by godders182 on 09 December 2004
clutch quite a bit jumpy when coldonly smells in my car are old boots/fish and chip papers/dead cat.......hows it going dave?

very good thanks mate, still enjoying the car? Colour not become boring yet?;)
Looking forward to the next track day, should be spa or the ring again!

Dave182 or anyone else that does the same.

No wonder clutches smell on a hill or for that matter on a slight incline. Why the f*ck do you think you have a handbrake.

PS for all those that want a quick getaway the handbrake allows revs without pulling forward. It is not possible to get power down by holding the clutch at the lights. You will either bog down or spin with no forward motion.

Basic raod skills guys;)

Arctic Blue 182

Mines going in for the 2nd time this Saturday re: knocking sound during decceleration at low speeds. Engine mount/heat shield around exhaust, so it would seem from other threads.

My clutch/exhaust smelt a bit when it was new but went as I put miles on it. But, it now reeks to high heaven because I have a plastic bag melted onto the cat and half way up the exhaust that I ran over. Cant get it off, its set like Bonfire Toffee!!!

My clutch clicks when I take my foot off it, Reno cant fix that, but they did fix my drivers side electric window switch that controls the passenger window. That was sticking.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by blaze on 09 December 2004
Dave182 or anyone else that does the same.No wonder clutches smell on a hill or for that matter on a slight incline. Why the f*ck do you think you have a handbrake.PS for all those that want a quick getaway the handbrake allows revs without pulling forward. It is not possible to get power down by holding the clutch at the lights. You will either bog down or spin with no forward motion.Basic raod skills guys;)

erm, to hold my car in position when i am not in it to press the brake pedal!!!!! Never heard of a hill start by balancing the car on the clutch using clutch control!

exactly! when your doing a hill start using the hand brake you have to find the biting point before you release the hand brake, ergo you have the car in the same situation as when your sat there like me and dave using our ace clutch control!

the only thing the handbrake does is stop the car rolling away and save the clutch from wearing out which in modern cars and if you have decent clutch control does not even matter anymore imo

Hi mate

Im also having probs with a blackgold 182 from reg vardys sheffield and have appointed a solicitor to deal with it.Got the car sept 1st.

Timescale and amount of faults/breakdowns gives me good grounds for rejection according to trading law!

hope you get things sorted

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

mate i dont know if u have had as many problerms as me..... But i stuck through thick and thin, my car went in four times for the same thing!!!! In the end and after being very pateint i now have a fully working car with no hassle (touch wood) Try and hang in there if u can!!

Sorry, but if you are sitting on a hill holding the car on the clutch you are such a bad driver you dont even deserve to be in a 182. You should be in an old Metro or something. The whole time youre sitting there the clutch is spinning and the friction and heat will cause the smell - and your clutch will eventually go bang.

Your dealer should take back your 182............and give you back a 1.2

200 cup (van blanc)

thats quite offensive

infact i am offended

were not all perfect like u.......

hill starts with the clutch are sometimes appropriate for the situation u r in!!!!

a sweeping statement like everyone who uses the clutch for a hill start is a bad driver ...................well i think thats out of order!!!

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by godders182 on 10 December 2004

thats quite offensive

infact i am offended

were not all perfect like u.......

hill starts with the clutch are sometimes appropriate for the situation u r in!!!!

a sweeping statement like everyone who uses the clutch for a hill start is a bad driver ...................well i think thats out of order!!!
agree, pmt maybe

7.6cc :D

I do get annoyed when people sit at traffic lights with their foot brake on, its unneccesary and can blind the person behind sometimes, i tend to put my front main beams on to blind them back and scream HANDBRAKE out of the window :D

Foot brake is used for braking and stopping your car, stopping for more than a couple of seconds then the handbrake should go on (so my driving instructor told me anyway)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by JillyB on 10 December 2004

I do get annoyed when people sit at traffic lights with their foot brake on, its unneccesary and can blind the person behind sometimes, i tend to put my front main beams on to blind them back and scream HANDBRAKE out of the window :D

Foot brake is used for braking and stopping your car, stopping for more than a couple of seconds then the handbrake should go on (so my driving instructor told me anyway)
Thats exactly what I remember from my training too... the clutch is for pulling away and smoothing tranisition from gear to gear.

The handbrake is for holding the car stationary.

Lee

BMW M2C

I put my hand brake on to make the lights change quicker too Dan. As you say, sods law. :p

My boss had never owned his own car until recently and Ive had to beat it into him to use the handbrake. Obviously he didnt care about the clutch in his company car.

Rejecting a car can be very difficult. Much depends upon the nature/scale of the problem/defect with the car.

Just as the law offers protection to consumers, it also safeguards the interests of the seller. Ive been thru this and the biggest hurdle is often the issue of what my solicitor referred to as "proportionality" (which tends to protect the seller), ie: where the option requested by the buyer (eg: replace car) is disproportionate to the cost to the seller of rectifying by other means (eg: repair, which may only cost a few hundred ££) - the key thing is then the nature of the problem - you wouldnt expect someone to have to spend thousands fixing what is supposed to be a new car after all ! Under these circumstances you would have a good case arguing that the car is not "fit for purpose" - the key to the sale of goods act.

Just been told that after having the car for 2 days they can find no fault!! Even although the salesman who sold me the car noticed the problem. They are now letting the dealers director drive it tomorrow, if he says its fine then they will give me the car back! Mmmmmm he wont be very biased!!

Trading standards say I should take it to an independent garage for a full inspection and take it from there.

Im totally pissed off with NESS MOTORS INVERNESS, hope one of you reading this work there you blinds F**ks.

Will let you all know what happens tomorrow!!

Alrighty Highlander - I have delt with Ness Motors - they wanted to charge me £40 to fit a fog lamp - took me under 2 minuites as we timed it LOL

Anyway what were you thinking buy a new Renault - get a nearly new one and hope the first poor owner has fixed all the problems;)

As for Ness Motors - can be good and bad. Had some fun in there with my Williams.

They suggested a new Radiator and 9 other things needing done on one service - I never let a main dealership do anything im paying for so my mate checked everything and said it all seemed fine. 1 year later they service it again but NONE of the things the reccomended doing 1 year earlier needed done anymore! They did however produce a new list........

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 10 December 2004

Sorry, but if you are sitting on a hill holding the car on the clutch you are such a bad driver you dont even deserve to be in a 182. You should be in an old Metro or something. The whole time youre sitting there the clutch is spinning and the friction and heat will cause the smell - and your clutch will eventually go bang.

Your dealer should take back your 182............and give you back a 1.2
PMSL :cry:

[Edited by iceblue182 on 10 December 2004 at 8:23pm]

Quote: Originally posted by highlander67 on 10 December 2004

Suck ma swingers iceblue ya baw bag
what did i do to deserve that? I was laughing at the rediculous comments about people who dont use the hand brake being bad drivers and not deserving a 182!

Sorry thought you were commenting on my original post. Every one has detracted from my original post some how. No offence meant. Hope you understand, Tony

200 cup (van blanc)

HANDBRAKE OR NOT TO HAND BRAKE!!!!

WHO CARES!!!

.....I REMEMBER FROM MY DRIVING INSTRUCTOR....BLAH BLAH

I GOT MY LICENCE FROM INSIDE A XMAS CRACKER ANYWAY!!!